Feedback & Announcements > Character Pictures

Forum guidelines and announcements. Compliments, suggestions, bug reports, etc. for the webmaster.
3rdpoliceman

Character Pictures

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:53 pm

In the resources section of your website, there are pages where you can see pictures of the various Wonderland characters. However, these pictures are limited to those by Tenniel and Disney. Would it be possible for you to include illustrations from other artists, such as Mervyn Peake, Salvador Dali, Ralph Steadman and Lewis Carroll himself (He did someillustrations for the original version of the book, Alice's Adventures Underground, a title which I actually prefer. And did you know that he might have ended up calling the book Alice's Hour in Elf-Land or Alice Among the Elves?)

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:58 am

On the same lines, I was wondering if it might be possible to include Tenniel's colour illustrations in your resources and maybe even Harry Theaker's 1911 coloured versions of the Tenniels?
Last edited by Beautiful Soup on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:12 am

I cannot possibly start including illustrations from all other artists, because there are too many. The site would become huge, so I have limited it to the original books and Disney's cartoon. Also, many illustrations still are copyright protected.
Carroll's own illustrations are already on the site: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice2c.html
And yes, I knew about the alternative titles: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice1a.html ;-)

I may consider adding the colored Tenniel illustrations, but I don't know yet where to find a good source.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:22 am

The best online example of Tenniel's colour illustrations which I have found is here: http://www.aliang.net/literature/the_nu ... index.html but I don't think they are entirely satisfactory. I notice that they have sourced their images from 'Special Collections, Information services, University of Birmingham'. Perhaps UoB would also let you use them.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:12 pm

I cannot possibly start including illustrations from all other artists, because there are too many. The site would become huge, so I have limited it to the original books and Disney's cartoon. Also, many illustrations still are copyright protected.
Carroll's own illustrations are already on the site: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice2c.html
And yes, I knew about the alternative titles: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice1a.html ;-)

I may consider adding the colored Tenniel illustrations, but I don't know yet where to find a good source.
Okay Lenny. I can probably find those images anyway myself. And I have a facsimile of Underground at home. But I'd really like to see more of Dali's work on it. So far, I've only managed to find the Mad Tea-Party.
What's really annoying though, is that my sister has one with the Peake illustrations and she won't let me have it!

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:57 pm

^3rdpoliceman, there's a thread on Alice illustrators that has a link to a page with all of Dalí's illustrations, along with a quite a few webpages with other illustrators.

Edit: Found it...viewtopic.php?t=1063

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks! Excellent. I needed to find them so I could analyse them for the Alice in Wonderland newsletter I write, called 'Golden Afternoon' for the Alice in Wonderfans' Society.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:49 am

Would it be possible to maybe include a page or article covering a range of illustrators? Perhaps you could find room for one Dali, one Rackham, one Alcott etc...

(BTW I hope I don't sound like I'm being critical of your resources - I think this is an utterly excellent site and is easily the best online Alice/Wonderland resource I've ever seen. Thank you for all you efforts - they are appreciated :))
Last edited by Beautiful Soup on Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:02 pm

It is technically possible, but I'll leave that to other websites :-)

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:59 pm

AIW:-.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Mervyn Peake does an amazing mad tea-party! AIW:-)

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Oh my! That picture is completely delightful! I can see I'm going to have to seek out some Peake

Thank you Mr Guest :)

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:57 pm

I read that Peake was hailed as the best Alice illustrator since Tenniel. There was this exhibit on all the different versions of the Alice books in the British Library, which I visited last summer while spending a week in London.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:24 am

If you want to share or discuss illustrations, please create a new topic in the Miscellaneous Alice subforum. :-)

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Oh, yeah, excuse me AIW:-)

Return to “Feedback & Announcements”