Feedback & Announcements > A matter of propriety

Forum guidelines and announcements. Compliments, suggestions, bug reports, etc. for the webmaster.
freelancer
Queen Alice

A matter of propriety

Postby freelancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Lately I've been noticing a disturbing tendency towards inappropriate posts by a certain someone who remains anonymous in this forum and signs as 'Guest'. Today I was shocked by a particular post this person wrote in this thread - viewtopic.php?p=17946#17946

Less than a month ago, the Contrariwise site was hacked by a poster with very similar opinions as 'Guest'.

We all know that conversations about Lewis Carroll always seem to attract some very creepy and strange people and I think we all owe it to this great community to avoid people like 'Guest' and to stop him from ruining it. So, what can we do, besides ignoring this person's opinions?

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:32 am

I'm equally concerned by this. It's also been a lot harder to carry out a reasonable conversation without getting a large amount of negative and inappropriate response back. :?

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 am

I will not stop a person from posting because his or her ideas differ from ours.

However, I do agree that the way in which Guest posts, causes agression.
I will warn him about his style of posting.

His posting is limited to two topics. You can still enjoy the forum, as I won't allow him to post about his pet peeve in other topics. If you don't like the current discussions, please stay away from that topic and it will go out like a candle by itself.

Re: A matter of propriety

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:45 am

Lately I've been noticing a disturbing tendency towards inappropriate posts by a certain someone who remains anonymous in this forum and signs as 'Guest'. Today I was shocked by a particular post this person wrote in this thread - viewtopic.php?p=17946#17946

Less than a month ago, the Contrariwise site was hacked by a poster with very similar opinions as 'Guest'.

We all know that conversations about Lewis Carroll always seem to attract some very creepy and strange people and I think we all owe it to this great community to avoid people like 'Guest' and to stop him from ruining it. So, what can we do, besides ignoring this person's opinions?
thanks for going behind my back so to speak and trying not only to accuse me of being another freakzoid who posted on another site...

But do you rally even READ my posts??
Do I need a BILLBOARD to say that my posts are in no way advocating pedophilia, even if I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE that MAYBE Dodgson had those feelings, but not acted upon..??
The brain capacity on this forum is about the same a an insect..

EVERY VIEW I HAVE discussed is also shared by Morton Cohen, and many others...if you want to debate me FINE but don't you dare insinuate that because I think that Dodgson heroically suppressed his inclinations POSSIBLY, as we don't know ANYTHING FOR SURE, I am somehow a pervert !!! HOW DARE YOU, YOU LITTLE SLIMY F**KED UP FOOL!!!

I am no pedo, but you sure as heck are a low-life that is acting like a grade schooler, in your imaturity about cotroversial subjects...
It is a known ploy of radicals and leftists to change the argument to personal attacks.

So..got through ALL my posts,I DARE you to find some statement I said, WITHIN CONTEXT, that shoes me to in anyway, condone or glorify, or minimize child molestation...

I DARE YO!! CRETIN!!

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:47 am

I apologize that my keyboard is really crapping out now..excuse the typos, as there is no way i can edit my posts..

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:03 am

TO LENNY,

I AM sorry, but when some one tries to brand you with the label of pedophile in this day and age...it should be taken seriously as a dangerous personal attack.

All I said originally before all these posts got out of hand is that maybe Dodgson had a romantic attachment to Alice, and it IS possible that considering the devotion he had to his child friends above all others, that he may have repressed or suppressed some unconscious erotic desires.

THIS is a view point held by many LC scholars. Some others like Caroline Leach think otherwise. I don't agree that any of the new material is persuasive... THAT is all I said, nothing more, nothing less.

How does that brand me as an advocate of pedophilia, especially when I say so many times that I am not, and applaud Carroll for being able to contain any feelings he may have had??

If I fly off the handle it is because, I never had such a reaction to my views on any other forum, or lecture I have given in the past.

I know it is the new idea to make Dodgson into a saint, in contrast from the way he has been dragged into the mud at times..but a FORUM is a place to welcome different ideas and debate them.. not to personally attack those who have them...

freelancer
Queen Alice

Postby freelancer » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:07 pm

I read your posts once and that was enough for me, because you seem to reuritate your posts Ad nauseam, making sure you insult other posters who try to talk to you.

You call that debating?!

You're entitled to your opinions, but don't force them onto other posters, specially when they try to set you straight on information. You don't know everything, so don't pretend you do.

You want respect, you better start respecting other people in here.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 pm

I read your posts once and that was enough for me, because you seem to reuritate your posts Ad nauseam, making sure you insult other posters who try to talk to you.

You call that debating?!

You're entitled to your opinions, but don't force them onto other posters, specially when they try to set you straight on information. You don't know everything, so don't pretend you do.

You want respect, you better start respecting other people in here.
Look whose calling the kettle black Sir or Madam...

I REPEAT myself, because no matter how hard I attempt to defend myself from personal attacks, ALL I get is more...

Even now, I don't even the slightest nod, that you weren't stooping to calling me, weird, perverted, sicko, etc. etc. I must be that OTHER poster...

how does THAT innuendo, and name calling command respect??

Insult other posters?

Have read what they say to ME??

Here it is in a nutshell.

I said Carroll may have had erotic feelings.. That he may have been romantically inclined with Alice. A view held by many.

That's IT!

The problem was that after some debate on the issue, about the validity of the new material, it degenerated into those who didn't agree with me, into name calling, which being a bit hot headed, and concerned, I responded emotionally..

but, can you really blame me?

I still would like ANYONE here to quote anything I wrote within the context of the discussion, that would be cause to label me a pervert..and that is a challenge! Remember, within context. That any statement I made was a direct avocation, agreement with, or in favor of, apologizing for, or minimizing the damage done by child molesters...

Whether you are right, or I am right about Carroll is not the issue anymore..it is quite simply personal attacks.

So, if you and the other posters will stop snickering that Mr.Guest must be perverted because he thinks Dodgson may have a touch of it, then I will cease retaliating, and confine myself to the proper issues..

Can YOU do that?? and please find those attributed quotes of mine....

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:53 pm

You're entitled to your opinions, but don't force them onto other posters, specially when they try to set you straight on information.

Forcing??? By disagreeing, how is that forcing..

Set me straight?

Are you implying

(1) the information is so sound that no debate is necessary, and those who do must therefore not have read Leach ?

(2) That Leach has become the savioir of Mr. Dodgson's integrity, and we must bow down to her conclusions?

(3) tha all then others, and there ARE others who dismiss Leach, are not only wrong, buyt unworthy of debate?

Boy, Have YOU stacked the deck!

You keep asking me do provide some proof of my views, but you only refer to Leach's book..you do not here quote extensively from her book to back your assertions, but you want ME to read it.

When I said I have, then you try to pound into my little thick skull, like her book and evidence was the word of God,and her tome was the bible...

And THIS is the way you want to debate the issue???

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:08 pm

making sure you insult other posters who try to talk to you.

Talk to me?

No they don't talk to me except in a very condescending way...
Plus how do you talk to someone who accuses you of being a pedophile?

How come I am supposed to believe Leach out of hand (not the actual facts she finds, but her conclusions) when even other lie-minded colleagues disagree with her? That is not even counting the one's who do not agree!!

Why is it a debate only when you are right?

I just love your use of the word talk which you use to belittle your debater. To you talk, is like the way an adult does to a child. If i don't agree with the fact the way YOU see them, then the poor little GUEST must be set straight, he must be converted to the cause...if not, he is an enemy, uninformed and quite possibly dangerous...

Even the very liberal press was shocked at a recent Obama statement before the mid-terms, when he called American citizens (which numbered over 60%) that didn't agree with his views as "enemies"!
A tactic used quite frequently by radicals, leftists and fascists.

While I am not trying to go political or OT, you, and other posters here seem to be reading from the same manifesto!

freelancer
Queen Alice

Postby freelancer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:02 am

HOW DARE YOU, YOU LITTLE SLIMY F**KED UP FOOL!!!

I am no pedo, but you sure as heck are a low-life that is acting like a grade schooler, in your imaturity about cotroversial subjects...
Do I need to say anything else, really?
Once again, you've embodied my original post perfectly.

No one in this forum would be attacking you if you hadn't started attacking everybody and calling them names, like the ones above.

I was never condescending to you but, as usual, you only read what interests you and ignore the rest.

You want to continue the debate on this thread? Why can't you just disagree once and move on? Didn't you say these debates shouldn't be emotional?!

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:15 pm

Do I need to say anything else, really?
Once again, you've embodied my original post perfectly.

No one in this forum would be attacking you if you hadn't started attacking everybody and calling them names, like the ones above.

I was never condescending to you but, as usual, you only read what interests you and ignore the rest.

You want to continue the debate on this thread? Why can't you just disagree once and move on? Didn't you say these debates shouldn't be emotional?!
YES, lets look at my quote!!!!

Did it come out of thin air?

NO!!! After stating my views in an adult way, I was THEN personally attracted..Yes, I admitted in my prior posts that you are responding to, than I got emotional.

Wouldn't YOU, if you disagreed with a poster, and then they retaliated by saying that you are not be believed, because you cannot be trust, because somewhere, somehow, my statements were construed as being favorable to pedophilia..

Your post above is an EXACT example of selective reading, and not to be fair..

You select my obvious emotional response which i already apologized for, but NEVER DID YOU RESPOND, or in FAIRNESS, mention the way I am bring treated...

I didn't just barge into this forum waving a freak flag and calling people names.......

The discussion went on more or less noemally until some postered tried to say thta I was advocating pedphilia, and saying that I must be the same poster that did a similar thing on anther forum (which i never heard of..)

So, what do you have to say about that Fereelancer???

You may have not been one of those posters who attacked me, but then neither was my tirades directed at you either..

And while your at it, I am still waiting for anyone here to quote me within context, where I actually say in anyway shape or form that I am advocating, admiring, or condoning child abuse...

If the posters here who accuse me of anything other than being mis-informed on the subject matter, either give me those examples, or apologize to me..

And to Freelancer...

If you weren't condescending, then I am not lumping you into the group of posters i am referring to.

About the thread...it works both ways..it boils down to this..
no one has conclusive evidence of anything..

You choose to give large import to Leach's findings, I do not.

I already said my views too many times, so I won't debate them with you again here.

Though Leach found so new evidence, it doesn't positively negate the myth, I t is just one more pice of the puzzle and could be a red herring.
Now I agree that to believe the things that I believe is backed up on evidence that is also in the end subjective.

What I really can't stand is those who categorically dismiss me (and others like me, even famous one's) out of hand, where their evidence is just as flimsy..

Mr. Feelancer, if it comes down to that we just agree to disagree that's fine. I am not trying to as some poster put it, force my beliefs on anyone.

But..when opposite viewpoints degenerate in to personal attacks, I have a right to get angry.

I am sorry, but you must too admit that what the other posters are trying to do is very wrong as well.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:30 pm

Again, my keyboard is really crapping out..some key stick, some won't work all the time. I end up having to type harder so I end up hitting the key along side, missing letters...And then I can't correct any mistakes after posting!

So please at least bear with my posts grammatically!!

I am using a laptop so replacing the keypad is not just go out to the computer store.......

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:50 am

I don't care about your typo's. I have already said that all opinions are valued by me and that I won't close a discussion because someone has an opinion that differs from the opinion of other people. But you have been warned enough about name calling. And this post just got you a temporary ban from this forum. Go cool down for a week or so.

And I am hoping all other posters in the 'biographies & pedophelia' thread will use this time to cool down as well, because although I don't agree with Guest's posting style, he does have a good point about you accusing him of things he didn't say. The atmosphere was negative in the beginning, but even when Guest made sensible posts, you didn't give him a chance at all.

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:07 pm

This is GUEST...

I am posting this from another IP address computer...

I am ONLY posting this one time, as I will respect Lenny and the temp ban on me.

I really do not see any name calling in my last few posts. I only called out those who would accuse me of anything other than being wrong on the discussion points.. I don\'t see any disrespectful comments...

I am sorry about my style of posting, and I promise that I will be a \"calm\" poster in the future, as long as there are no personal attacks, inc. those by me.

Thank you Lenny for being fair in this matter...

I will post again when my ban is lifted...

Return to “Feedback & Announcements”