The books > The Fictional Alice is Disabled

Discuss Lewis Carroll's books "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" here!
mngnm94
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

The Fictional Alice is Disabled

Postby mngnm94 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:12 pm

I didn't know what to make of this book. The pomes are there because someone in the story is repeating them giving the narrative a disjointed feel, and of course there's the " It was all a dream" ending is as soul-crushing as it is for any fantasy story. But it made me think. Alice doesn't DO much, the main focus is on her intellectual ability, and when she does do physical actions it's seen by other characters. Alice does appear to have a disability. I have Cerebral Palsy, and I spend time daydreaming about doing stuff abled-bodied people can do and am very smart. Most of the stuff done in Wonderland is simple, day-to-day activities. Alice dreams of swimming, Having a race, going to a tea party, learning a dance, playing a sport, (Croquet) playing fetch with a dog, talking to people, all given a delightfully bizarre spin by Lewis Carroll, giving more credence to my theory. Lewis Carroll didn't have the opportunity to think about his story this way, and if you didn't you're NOT a horrible person, you just made the same assumption I made when I saw the (incomplete) Disney version when I was a kid. The paradox is she has physical abilities, but we don't KNOW if Alice has them because she's dreaming for all but 2 and 1/2 pages. It gives the ending meaning, anyway.

Return to “The books”