The books > Wasp in the Wig

Discuss Lewis Carroll's books "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" here!
ilovecheshirecat
Queen Alice

Postby ilovecheshirecat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 am

I would doubt it though

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:45 pm

The issue is becoming moot as more publishers insert The Wasp in the Wig into TL-G, as though it had always been there AIW:-o
I suspect that taints the authenticity of the book.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Fri May 27, 2011 8:12 pm

The main problem, at this point, is that The Wasp in a Wig will be protected by copyright through December 31, 2047, whereas the text of Through the Looking-Glass is in the public domain.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:48 pm

The Wasp in the Wig proof sheets have been published and as a result are there to be read and appreciated.
yes I have a copy of the original with C.L. Dodgson's corrections. Still people are debating its source and content.

RandomNigel
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby RandomNigel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Its all just speculation in my opinion. I honestly think the change was made VERY early in development. You have to know that a story just doesnt come out there is a lot of revising especially with Looking-glass land. We have original manuscripts of AIW but nothing as far as TTLG. It's very possible that the idea was scrapped early in development of the story. and in it's present state there is still a lot of stuff to analyze.

1. This is not the first time a character has acted rudely towards Alice and in turn she has tried to be polite. ex. The Mock Turtle, Gryphon, Red Queen, and Sheep. but it's interesting as to how concerned she is for the wasp perhaps if she showed some compassion he wouldn't be so cross. After all, "perhaps it's only the pain that makes him so cross."

2. It is confusing as to why the Wasp in on 7th square compared to the 3rd where the rest of looking-glass insects reside, but I've come to think that there is more to behold. When Alice becomes a Queen she really takes on no responsibility and she Would be the one to do it. She has the most logic and morals so by those means she'd feel the need to at least ACT civil. This plays nicely with the Wasp. Alice is very much eager to become a Queen but this could almost be a "test if you will" to see if she won't be as savage as the Queen of hearts. The Wasp even comments on the disease of conceit and Alice is all the while oblivious. Saying it's very easy to have a stiff-neck when you have so much power. Perhaps the wasp is warning her to not get so proud and haughty.

Some of the puns are bad and some of the poetry is not good but remember; Mock Turtle's story is nothing but constant puns and yet it's my favorite chapter. and The Mouse's poem and Lobster Quadrille song were completely changed from the original manuscript. hope i helped c:

RandomNigel
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby RandomNigel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:28 am

I hope this thread gets revived. It's probably the most interesting part of TTLG

Return to “The books”