The books > What do you think about 'time' in wonderland?

Discuss Lewis Carroll's books "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" here!
rizma03
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

What do you think about 'time' in wonderland?

Postby rizma03 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:01 am

hi, again :D i'm an undergraduate student on my last semester and i need your help here.

In this thread i would like to ask what you think about the time in wonderland? like maybe there is no time (like in real world where everything is moving) at all, or anything. and yes i know it's him there. :-) well, i want to know your opinion.

thank you~ :-)

[edit by admin] No need to double post about the poll, removed that part :-)

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:20 pm

I see what you're asking.

However, outside the question of 'time' within the writing, there's the process of writing in which the author paces events so the story works. In particular I'm thinking of Alice finally making it into the beautiful garden just in time for the procession and croquet game. That's just part of creating, it seems. Otherwise, if you were writing a story, or shooting a film, you'd have to check with everyone and everything within the as-yet-incomplete story to schedule action. That isn't time-efficient, even if it could work.

That's one consideration among the many.

Within the frame of the story, time is based on Alice's sense of it, on the day of Alice Liddell's birthday, May 4th.

kgharshith

Postby kgharshith » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, a beautiful young Alice (Sophie Lowe) takes a tumble down the rabbit hole to a place where nothing is impossible.

Mythology1
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Re: What do you think about 'time' in wonderland?

Postby Mythology1 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:18 am

Time, if the Hatter is to be believed, is an easily offended character who has messed up time's passing in Wonderland. So time must be even more convoluted. And compared to the comparatively saner world Alice hails from, it was slower but passed much faster in her reality (with her sister treating the doze as lasting minutes instead of hours.)

Return to “The books”