The books > Location

Discuss Lewis Carroll's books "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" here!
RandomNigel
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby RandomNigel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:09 pm

The Locations of Looking Glass have puzzled me for quite some time.

For certain I know that: The Tweedle's home resides in 4th square.
The Sheep's shop is in 5th square. Humpty Dumpty owns 6th square. And the 7th square is forest, however I still haave some questions.

1. Pawns usually start a game of chess in the second row. So does the Looking Glass house and the garden of flowers rest in the second square? If so, what could possibly reside in the first? The White Queen's Castle?

2. Alice rides a train into the fourth square, so does the train ride last the entire third square meaning that the Gnat, Looking-Glass insects, and the Fawn also reside in the fourth square?

3. After Humpty Dumpty falls Alice encounters the White King who is adjacent to her in the game. Does the town where the lion and the unicorn fight reside in Humpty's Square or the Square beside it?

4. The eighth square is presumed to be Queen Alice's Castle, but if so where is the Red Queen's Castle? It should be presumed to be in the place where Queen's start the game but if the castle belongs to Alice then it wouldn't

Any help or thoughts/ theories would be greatly appreaciated

Lenny
Webmaster

Re: Location

Postby Lenny » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:08 pm

2. Alice rides a train into the fourth square, so does the train ride last the entire third square meaning that the Gnat, Looking-Glass insects, and the Fawn also reside in the fourth square?
As this 'moving two squares in one turn' is an official chess move, I would indeed suggest the insects and fawn reside in the fourth square.
However, the gnat was already in the train with Alice, so (partly) he travelled with her.

RandomNigel
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby RandomNigel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:42 pm

i see that does seem to clear things up. Thank you :)

Return to “The books”