The books > The Flamingo in the croquet game.

Discuss Lewis Carroll's books "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" here!
martin050
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

The Flamingo in the croquet game.

Postby martin050 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:30 pm

I know Lewis Carroll used a lot of in-jokes in his stories... Ones that he and Alice would both appreciate, but I can't see where the flamingo (in the croquet game) fits in, unless he took the Liddell girls to see them at the zoo.
Any ideas?

[edit by webmaster] Moved the topic to the appropriate subforum

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Re: The Flamingo in the croquet game.

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:09 am

I've always viewed as more of a joke about the game croquet, since as is pointed out in The Annotated Alice "Carroll spent a great deal of time inventing new an unusual ways of playing familiar games."

It is interesting to note, though, that originally in Alice's Adventures Under Ground, the Queen of Hearts/Marchioness of Mock Turtles uses ostriches instead of flamingos for the game.

martin050

Postby martin050 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:08 am

I hadn't seen that, thank you.
On the same subject...I've read that the Liddell girls came across a hedgehog on the Deanery lawn while they were playing a game of croquet, which rolled into a ball when approached. Hence the hedgehog croquet ball in the Queen's game I suppose.

Jess
Honorary member

Postby Jess » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:25 pm

From the explanatory notes in the "Oxford World Classics" edition:
a curious croquet-ground: croquet was a favourite game with the Liddell children, and Dodgson played it often with Alice and her sisters in the Deanery garden. He invented for them a new version of the game, Croquet Castles, which he had printed privately at Oxford on 4 May 1863 (see The Lewis Carroll Picture Book, 1899, p.271). (Croquet Castles is reprinted in Hamlyn.)

live flamingoes: they were ostriches in A.A.U. (Ostriches bury their heads in the sand - as a child often does with the head of a croquet mallet in the turf.)
(although I do think I should point out that ostriches burying their heads in the sand is a myth.)

martin050

Postby martin050 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Many thanks for that interesting info Jess.

Return to “The books”