The books > The Way You Read Alice

Discuss Lewis Carroll's books "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" here!
writinghearts
Mad Hatter

Postby writinghearts » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:23 am

I read as if I were Alice, for I am very close to seven and a half years old. (If you are wondering, I'm 8.)
She generally gave herself very good advice (though she very seldom followed it), and sometimes she scolded herself so severely as to bring tears into her eyes; and once she remembered trying to box her own ears for having cheated herself in a game of croquet she was playing against herself, for this curious child was very fond of pretending to be two people.
I'm exactly like that!
:D that strikes me as funny for some reason

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:39 pm

I read them the way Lewis Carroll saw them. Though I tend to prefer the dreamlike, surreal and nostalgic bits over the logic games bits.

Lenighma
Dormouse

Postby Lenighma » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:27 pm

Dark and immoral...? What...? Pedophilia...?? Oh, for the love of—

I read AAIW the way it is: a whimsical and nonsensical adventure story...with plenty of elements that could be a surreal or psychological horror. Though it's also more of a satire, too. Really, where the heck do people get off on constantly talking about Carroll being a pedophile? Let it GO, already, let the guy be in his bloody grave!

Of all things, that is what AAIW can most definitely be: psychological. It has all the makings of one!
Last edited by Lenighma on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andro
Humpty Dumpty

Postby Andro » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:28 pm

I read it always as a fantastic fantasy-book and child-story. I love it. ^^

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Of all things, that is what AAIW can most definitely be: psychological. It has all the makings of one!
Very true.

Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Postby Alyss » Mon May 09, 2011 5:59 am

I read both books in the attic of my elementary school under a blanket eating an apple. I was sad to realize Valcor wouldn't be in either books.

Lulú
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby Lulú » Mon May 09, 2011 12:04 pm

The way I read all Lewis Carroll's books now, it's different from when I was a little girl... it's none of both really. I am a grown up now, and each character seem so different from the first time I read them... and I must admit each time I love them even more ;)

Postby Guest » Mon May 09, 2011 1:59 pm

I read both books in the attic of my elementary school under a blanket eating an apple. I was sad to realize Valcor wouldn't be in either books.
The Neverending Story? Did you mean Falkor?

Ter
Mad Hatter

Postby Ter » Thu May 19, 2011 1:32 am

When I read it I see it as a movie. Just as a fantasy movie. Nothing horror or trippy.Maybe its just me lol.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Twice now, by making an edition of AAiW. That entails taking the text word by word, sentence by sentence, noting everything in it, and how it is put together. That's how I know the narrator keeps me entertained and puzzled.

I suppose that that sort of thing falls under the category of Art Appreciation. (If "Art Appreciation" means being reminded how good it is.)

RandomNigel
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby RandomNigel » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:48 pm

I think were Carrol gets his "pedophile" tag is from him taking pictures of girls and with perverted minds that goes all downhill. but i've found that prior to Alice he was a photographer Image and took pictures of men prior as to my knowledge he was at an Anglo Saxon college where women weren't allowed. They made an exception with Alice's family and the two became good friends and he took many pictures of the family. Of course i could be totally wrong so someone might want to check up on it. But even if so i don't think it was unusual for men to be attracted to younger children. Think of the time period. and the book was made for enjoyment there's hardly any depression or something awful that i can piece from the work. I have only good things to say about his pieces DIS:-)

Return to “The books”