The books > What's your favorite quote from the books?

Discuss Lewis Carroll's books "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" here!
Alex_in_Wonderland
Mad Hatter

Postby Alex_in_Wonderland » Thu May 06, 2010 1:19 pm

What's my favourite quote?

ALL OF THE BOOKS. EVERY PARAGRAPH. EVERY LINE. EVERY WORD. EVERY LETTER.

How's that for witty? ;)
Me too!!

But this is one of my favourite extract from the first book:

`Dear, dear! How queer everything is today! And yesterday things went on just as usual. I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think: was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is, Who in the world am I? Ah, THAT'S the great puzzle!' And she began thinking over all the children she knew that were of the same age as herself, to see if she could have been changed for any of them.
`I'm sure I'm not Ada,' she said, `for her hair goes in such long ringlets, and mine doesn't go in ringlets at all; and I'm sure I can't be Mabel, for I know all sorts of things, and she, oh! she knows such a very little! Besides, SHE'S she, and I'm I, and--oh dear, how puzzling it all is! I'll try if I know all the things I used to know. Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is--oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate! However, the Multiplication Table doesn't signify: let's try Geography. London is the capital of Paris, and Paris is the capital of Rome, and Rome--no, THAT'S all wrong, I'm certain! I must have been changed for Mabel! I'll try and say "How doth the little..."

VERY FUNNY!! :)

Zephyr
Dormouse

Postby Zephyr » Sat May 08, 2010 6:27 am

Adventures in Wonderland:

The entirety of "All in the Golden Afternoon" and "They Told Me You Had Been To Her"

“In that direction,” the Cat said, waving its right paw round, “lives a Hatter: and in that direction,” waving the other paw, “lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they’re both mad.”

“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.

“Oh, you ca’n’t help that,” said the Cat: “we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”

“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.

“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”

“If any one of them can explain it,” said Alice, (she had grown so large in the last few minutes that she wasn't a bit afraid of interrupting him,) “I’ll give him sixpence. I don't believe there’s an atom of meaning in it.”

"But her sister sat still just as she left her, leaning her head on her hand, watching the setting sun, and thinking of little Alice and all her wonderful Adventures, till she too began dreaming after a fashion, and this was her dream:—

First, she dreamed about little Alice herself: once again the tiny hands were clasped upon her knee, and the bright eager eyes were looking up into hers—she could hear the very tones of her voice, and see that queer little toss of her head to keep back the wandering hair that would always get into her eyes—and still as she listened, or seemed to listen, the whole place around her became alive the strange creatures of her little sister’s dream.

The long grass rustled at her feet as the White Rabbit hurried by—the frightened Mouse splashed his way through the neighbouring pool—she could hear the rattle of the teacups as the March Hare and his friends shared their never-ending meal, and the shrill voice of the Queen ordering off her unfortunate guests to execution—once more the pig-baby was sneezing on the Duchess’s knee, while plates and dishes crashed around it—once more the shriek of the Gryphon, the squeaking of the Lizard’s slate-pencil, and the choking of the suppressed guinea-pigs, filled the air, mixed up with the distant sob of the miserable Mock Turtle.

So she sat on, with closed eyes, and half believed herself in Wonderland, though she knew she had but to open them again, and all would change to dull reality—the grass would be only rustling in the wind, and the pool rippling to the waving of the reeds—the rattling teacups would change to tinkling sheep-bells, and the Queen’s shrill cries to the voice of the shepherd boy—and the sneeze of the baby, the shriek of the Gryphon, and all the other queer noises, would change (she knew) to the confused clamour of the busy farm-yard—while the lowing of the cattle in the distance would take the place of the Mock Turtle’s heavy sobs.
Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood; and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long ago; and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days."

Through the Looking Glass:

The entirety of "Child of the Pure Unclouded Brow" and "A Boat Beneath the Summer Sky".

Have your pick of any of the exchanges between Alice and the other characters, especially the other queens, Humpty Dumpty and the White Knight.

"And here I wish I could tell you half the things Alice used to say, beginning with her favourite phrase 'Let's pretend.' She had had quite a long argument with her sister only the day before—all because Alice had begun with 'Let's pretend we're kings and queens;' and her sister, who liked being very exact, had argued that they couldn't, because there were only two of them, and Alice had been reduced at last to say, 'Well, YOU can be one of them then, and I'LL be all the rest.' And once she had really frightened her old nurse by shouting suddenly in her ear, 'Nurse! Do let's pretend that I'm a hungry hyaena, and you're a bone.'"

"Of all the strange things that Alice saw in her journey Through The Looking-Glass, this was the one that she always remembered most clearly. Years afterwards she could bring the whole scene back again, as if it had been only yesterday—the mild blue eyes and kindly smile of the Knight—the setting sun gleaming through his hair, and shining on his armour in a blaze of light that quite dazzled her—the horse quietly moving about, with the reins hanging loose on his neck, cropping the grass at her feet—and the black shadows of the forest behind—all this she took in like a picture, as, with one hand shading her eyes, she leant against a tree, watching the strange pair, and listening, in a half dream, to the melancholy music of the song."

Lewis Carrie
White Knight

What's your favorite quote from the books?

Postby Lewis Carrie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 am

We're all mad here- Cheshire Cat

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:36 pm

Still she haunts me, phantomwise...

rhakeson
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby rhakeson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:20 am

“Curiouser and curiouser” LOL very confusing.LOL DIS:-/

freelancer
Queen Alice

Postby freelancer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:21 pm

My favorites are:

- the poem in the beginning of AIW;

- "We're all mad here!"

- "Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood; and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long ago; and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days."

And from TLG:

- Both poems

- The Walrus and the Carpenter poem

- The White Knight episode (no particular quote, I just enjoy Alice's interaction with him and his quirky inventions) AIW:-)

AlexLowry
Caterpillar

Postby AlexLowry » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:37 pm

"Life, what is it but a dream?"

Miracle

Alice in Wonderland Quotes

Postby Miracle » Fri May 01, 2015 2:22 pm

My favorite quote from Alice in Wonderland is “If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.” DIS:-O

[edit by webmaster] Merged your new topic with this existing one

fallen_star87
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Re: What's your favorite quote from the books?

Postby fallen_star87 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:40 pm

I like:

Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality. ~ Alice In Wonderland

If you don’t know where you are going any road can take you there. ~ Alice In Wonderland

Look after the senses and the sounds will look after themselves. ~ Alice In Wonderland

Found them all here: http://www.spiritbutton.com/alice-in-wonderland-quotes/

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:45 am

Only the first two are not quotes from the book, and the third one is rephrased... :|

Cheshire Dodo
Dormouse

Postby Cheshire Dodo » Sun May 21, 2017 9:41 am

The short answer is, all the books; especially their opening and closing poems and the finals paragraphs of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

However, some quotes In Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland which I like simply because they give examples of why you DO NOT read the books for their “plot” DIS:-/

Chapter III: A Caucus-Race and a Long Tale
“Mine is a long and a sad tale!” said the Mouse, turning to Alice, and sighing.
“It IS a long tail, certainly,” said Alice, looking down with wonder at the Mouse’s tail; “but why do you call it sad?”

Chapter X: The Mock Turtle
“I’ve been to a day-school, too” said Alice; “you needn’t be so proud as all that.”
“With extras?” asked the Mock Turtle a little anxiously.
“Yes,” said Alice, “we learned French and music.”
“And washing?” said the Mock Turtle.
“Certainly not!” said Alice indignantly.

Fernando S.

Postby Fernando S. » Sun May 21, 2017 2:26 pm

What does it mean when you state that one doesn't read the 'Alice' books for IT'S plot? Are you saying that both books have a single plot that I ought not to look for in the books? Are you suggesting that this one book could be read in any order or that there is no plot to follow? Do you mean that YOU don't read the books for their single plot (a personal preference) or are you suggesting that the books themselves do not allow anyone to read them for their "plot"? I find your whole post somewhat confusing, especially because I don't think that liking certain quotations from the books has much to do with the plot of either of the books, unless one states that as parts of the book they add to the plot.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:04 pm

"I haven't the least Idea what you're talking about," said Alice.

Return to “The books”