Miscellaneous Alice > Oz and Wonderland: Possible Connection

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Mad Hatter II
Queen Alice

Oz and Wonderland: Possible Connection

Postby Mad Hatter II » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Hey guys, I've been doing some research on Wonderland and it seems to be inspired by the United Kingdom in some way. That makes me wonder if if Oz was connected to wonderland the same way the UK is connected to Australia, the country supposedly inspiring the land of Oz.

For those who don't know Australia was colonized by British settlers, in all the Oz books it was never stated how all the people got to Oz in the first place. Could they have been from Wonderland wanting to expand the empire of the Queen of Hearts?

It's a nice bit of food for thought I think

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Re: Oz and Wonderland: Possible Connection

Postby Beautiful Soup » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:21 am

I think it's entirely legitimate to claim that, at least metaphorically, Oz is a colony of Wonderland, in as much as Baum very obviously took the basic structure and ideas of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and then constructed The Wizard of Oz from the building blocks Carroll had created.

If you wish to imaginatively extend that metaphor by supposing that Oz is actually populated by émigrés from Wonderland, well, why not?

(Actually, there are probably lots of reasons why not, but it's fun to pretend)

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”