Miscellaneous Alice > Biographies of C. L. Dodgson

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Cheshire Dodo
White Rabbit

Re: Biographies of C. L. Dodgson

Postby Cheshire Dodo » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:02 pm

The only one I have read is:
Lewis Carroll” by Morton N. Cohen
This is probably the most well-known biography. It covers Dodgson’s history reasonably well, giving a lot of attention to his mathematical works, and detailing his travels in Russia.

However, there does appear to be an element of “speculation” in areas where only vague diary entries, etc. seem to exist, with little solid evidence. Although that could just be me.

When reading it, I felt that a biography’s reader needs to be careful in completely accepting everything in a work. An author could be focusing their research on what they expect to find; based on their own views, and what was generally believed before they started their research.

This I feel is especially true when dealing with an enigmatic person like Charles Dodgson. Although you were probably already aware of this. AIW:-)

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:20 am

There's also Jenny Woolf's biography: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/prod ... onderland/

Cheshire Dodo
White Rabbit

Postby Cheshire Dodo » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 am

The Europe / Russia journey of 1867 covers about 10 pages in the book. It gives is a brief overview of the journey, as well as the first impressions of St. Petersburg and Moscow. It also refers to the various cathedrals and the Hermitage which were visited.

Before I read this, I had no knowledge of Dodgson’s sole journey outside the British Isles.

QueenJabberwocky
Caterpillar

Postby QueenJabberwocky » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:44 am

There's also Jenny Woolf's biography: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/prod ... onderland/

I read it about a year ago. Thanks for recommending, this one is really well-researched and written in a really interesting way AIW:-)

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”