Buying, selling & collectibles > GRRRR! My fury at eBay!

Promote your or other people's Alice in Wonderland products, show off your collectibles, or ask for help with finding a specific item.
We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

GRRRR! My fury at eBay!

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 pm

I've been hunting a very long time for a hardback copy of both Alice books combined in one volume, with all of Tenniel's illustrations. I found the perfect book on eBay, bound in blue cloth and about 70 years old, but would you guess? Someone places a bid on it with a few hours to go! AIW:-( I placed 3 bids, and was still beaten by that hamperdown bidder! (Making up words, so angry!) I was livid when I lost it. And I'm still angry in the knowledge that that person will probably just sell it off again without even reading it!

*Calm* Now, I'm currently trawling through abebooks.com to find the perfect copy, and I have found a Macmillan version from 1922--"People's Edition", apparently-- and "rebound blue boards" for £5.00 There's no picture though! Does anyone know if this is the edition that has the picture of Alice and the flying pack of cards on the front with the swirly writing? Also, does anyone in England have an oldish, Macmillan copy of the two books combined up for sale? I'd appreciate it!

ammitusen
Queen Alice

Postby ammitusen » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:17 pm

hmmm not sure what you're angry at eBay about. that's how auctions work. the highest bidder wins. on eBay i'm what is known as a sniper. a sniper sits at their PC and keeps refreshing the item page until the very last possible second and then hits the "confirm bid" button. even though i've gotten quite good at sniping i can still be outbid by someone whose bid is higher and has a faster PC or is employing a sniping program. when sniping you get one and only one chance to win because your last second bidding disallows time to enter another bid. i'm an old school sniper. i don't use a sniping program as i enjoy the rush of the game. i used to bid and win Alice stuff on eBay all the time but eBay has been raising their selling fees and making some very stupid rule changes lately so sellers of unique and cool things have been leaving eBay in droves. oh well, i guess i should just be glad i got my collection in shape before eBay made finding neat Alice things on their site a rarity.

'Who are you?'
Dormouse

Postby 'Who are you?' » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 pm

I don't know if you can get there ... But in Oxford there are a few markets and afew of the stalls sells books. I found about 15 -30 books on Alice alone, all hardback most with Tenniel drawings, probably ranging from 10-65 years old. It may not be any help but thought I'd just let you know ... :D

Crownless Leech
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby Crownless Leech » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:52 pm

Hmm... I bought a LOVELY copy at a.. Hmm.. How would you call it.. Incredibly huge market with 90% books! I was rushing through everything... (too many books to look closely) And then I faced a GIGANTIC book with all Carroll's work and drawings by John Tenniel! Hmm.. Anyway, unless I already had 2 versions of Alice I wanted this one.. Now anyway... It's a very fine version, though it's a new one.. You know, paperback... It's from 1996.

But I'm happy with it! : )
Ehmm.. You definitely won't get to the market since it's in.. Belgium...

But it's from 'Wordworth Editions' (http://www.wordsworth-editions.com)

Maybe that could help...

Ehmm.. I may be a bit late.. :p Anyway.. :'D AIW:-.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:52 am

hmmm not sure what you're angry at eBay about. that's how auctions work. the highest bidder wins. on eBay i'm what is known as a sniper. a sniper sits at their PC and keeps refreshing the item page until the very last possible second and then hits the "confirm bid" button. even though i've gotten quite good at sniping i can still be outbid by someone whose bid is higher and has a faster PC or is employing a sniping program. when sniping you get one and only one chance to win because your last second bidding disallows time to enter another bid. i'm an old school sniper. I don't use a sniping program as i enjoy the rush of the game. i used to bid and win Alice stuff on eBay all the time but eBay has been raising their selling fees and making some very stupid rule changes lately so sellers of unique and cool things have been leaving eBay in droves. oh well, i guess i should just be glad i got my collection in shape before eBay made finding neat Alice things on their site a rarity.
I snipe occasionally, but only when there is one bidder...As the auction is ending and no one seems to be bidding, the bidder will just assume he is going to get the item, gets lazy, and then I place a bid with 30 sec. or less to go...I have won a few auction this way..

.BUT..if there is more than one bidder, sniping is foolish...just bid your maximum and eBay will proxy bid for you up to your max, and it is MUCH faster than manually entering a bid yourself.
Just think about it...in every auction, you must have a "I can't/won't bid any higher than $$ limit" so why wait until the end to bid? What's the point?

Also, if the seller is overseas in a few time zones over, you find yourself having to be up until the wee hours to place that last bid, or even if it is daytime, you may not have access to a computer!
My philosophy about bidding on eBay is if it was meant for me, I will win it.

And, yes, I have missed out and regretted not bidding higher on some items at times......

My MAIN complaint about eBay is that I have been collection for 30 years, and since the glut and ease of using eBay and the internet, rather than calling or rummaging through trusted bookshops, or flea markets etc. is that the prices have fallen about 30% or more from my active collecting days in the 80's and 90's...
and that has nothing to do with the economy either. This trend started as soon as eBay got big..

aliceaficionado
Lewis Carroll

Postby aliceaficionado » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:52 pm

I found a really nice copy at Borders here in America, it was absolutely beautiful, Tenniel illustrations and all.... cost about $19.00 so I wasn't allowed to buy it, even with my huge borders gift card. AIW:-|

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:33 pm

but would you guess? Someone places a bid on it with a few hours to go! AIW Angry I placed 3 bids, and was still beaten

THREE HOURS???

What did you expect? That just because you placed your bid, no one else in three hour's time was going to bid too!!!

That is really naive, and conceited of you, to think that in an auction situation, when YOU decide to place a bid, no one else should...that the book was yours!

Now if someone sniped you in the last 3 seconds of bidding, then I might have a bit of sympathy...but 3 HOURS...come on!!

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:40 pm

I found a really nice copy at Borders here in America, it was absolutely beautiful, Tenniel illustrations and all.... cost about $19.00 so I wasn't allowed to buy it, even with my huge borders gift card. AIW:-|
Sounds like you are a kid?
If it was your gift card, AND you had enough balance to make the purchase, then why would your parents (I assume) not allow you to buy it...??

What is the point of having a gift card given to you, if your parents have such control over you that they could prevent you from spending your own "present" !!!

I could understand if it was a violent video game etc.. but AIW ...really??

My advise...leave home NOW...run a way, or you will be mentally damaged beyond repair by your over-controlling parents...

Now, if you are an adult... then I don't know what to say except you have some deep issues...

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:09 am

Let's be nice to eachother, okay?

And also, please stay on topic.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Let's be nice to eachother, okay?

And also, please stay on topic.
Ah...I guess my sarcasm was not appreciated.... Sorry..

Return to “Buying, selling & collectibles”