Buying, selling & collectibles > need help identifying an old edition of AAIW

Promote your or other people's Alice in Wonderland products, show off your collectibles, or ask for help with finding a specific item.
Ash R
Dormouse

need help identifying an old edition of AAIW

Postby Ash R » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:29 pm

hello! i have a copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in my collection that i've become more and more bothered by the fact that i don't know much about.
what i do know about it: it's printed by Richard Clay of London. the last page further states, R. CLAY, SON, AND TAYLOR, PRINTERS, BREAD STREET HILL
i can't find a date anywhere on it.
it has light blue endpapers, which from some of my meanderings online i've learned is less common, dark green was more often seen.
the title page has no markings of numbers, like however-many-nth thousands.
i don't see any markings to show it's Macmillan or anything, the only publisher/printer marks i see are for Richard Clay.
letters of the alphabet appear in sequence under the text on some pages. there's no A, but page 1, the first page of the first chapter, has B under the last line of text, and page 9 has C, page 17 has D, etc... the last of such marks is BB on the bottom of page 185 in Alice's Evidence. i don't know if this means anything, but i thought i'd mention it, just in case!

i have taken some pictures and put them as a set on my flickr, please have a look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashbat/set ... 714987191/

i'm mainly wondering about the year. and other interesting information you might want to share would also be appreciated. if you need any more info to make an assessment, just let me know, i'd be glad to take additional pictures and stuff.
thanks!

Ash R
Dormouse

Postby Ash R » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:47 am

i was looking at it again today and saw that it actually has three gold lines and the top of the spine and three at the bottom of the spine, not just one on each. they're kind of worn away so they're hard to see.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:36 am

Found this while poking around on the internet for you

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_ ... ID=5280729

Makes ya think, huh?

Ash R
Dormouse

Postby Ash R » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 am

yes! and it did kind of help me, thank you! it sent me off on another round of searching...

which now has me thinking that mine is a facsimile edition. because of the inclusion of the C.L. Dodgson signature which you can see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashbat/451 ... 714987191/ ... it seems that wasn't added until later copies.

so... it might not be old. which makes me sad :(

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:14 am

Here's another link with a book that looks like your copy: http://antiquesandthearts.com/forumresp ... 519&var2=1 It doesn't have much info on the book, but it does give some other insight on it.

I have a brown covered copy (the copy that started it all for me :-) ) by this printer and mine doesn't have a date in it either. Although I'm guessing mine is probably newer, my last page looks like yours and Bill is on the same page as well. My title page does differ though. I was trying to read the bottom of your title page, does it say that rights of reproduction are reserved? If so that might give you a clue, since the copyrights on illustrations was the last to end in 1964. :-)

Return to “Buying, selling & collectibles”