Buying, selling & collectibles > Svankmajer's Alice on VHS?

Promote your or other people's Alice in Wonderland products, show off your collectibles, or ask for help with finding a specific item.
We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Svankmajer's Alice on VHS?

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Mon May 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Bet that got your attention. Right, I'm very frustrated.

I do not own Svankmajer's version of Alice. Big :( . And I really wish I did own it, however I live in the UK which immediately becomes a fault. You Americans have it lucky, seeing as you can buy the film very easily on Amazon.com! I would buy this DVD version on the UK Amazon marketplace, but alas the dvd is in NTSC which means it wouldn't play on my PAL television, and as far as I know the DVD is region 1 as well which means I also can't play it. :| Which leaves only 1 option: VHS. I will soon be getting a video player specifically for this kind of predicament (and also because videos are dirt cheap in charity shops). Can anyone tell me WHERE I CAN FIND A VHS COPY OF THIS FILM??? I'm apprehensive about getting the dvd seeing as it is NTSC. Does anyone know anywhere that would have the film on VHS, seeing as it isn't even available on Amazon marketplace?

There are, however, some of Svankmajer's other films on VHS in this country for a fairly reasonable price considering their rareness. But why no Alice? :(

[edit by webmaster] I changed your topic title, as HEEEEELLLPP MEEEE is not very meaningful to other visitors ;-)

aliceaficionado
Lewis Carroll

Postby aliceaficionado » Mon May 03, 2010 10:30 pm

Sorry, I would like to help you but can't. :(

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Mon May 03, 2010 10:36 pm

*coff coff* download *coff coff*

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Tue May 04, 2010 7:09 am

There are several copies available here, used or new:

http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/shop/6302540097

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Tue May 04, 2010 8:58 am

That's the easy way out. ;) But anyway after having had bad experiences with viruses I wouldn't want to download anything unsafe. :(

I realise my question is nigh on impossible to appease, I just wondered if anyone knew of any secret black market VHS dealing places.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 am

That's the easy way out. ;) But anyway after having had bad experiences with viruses I wouldn't want to download anything unsafe. :(

I realise my question is nigh on impossible to appease, I just wondered if anyone knew of any secret black market VHS dealing places.
Fairy nuff. It's never straightforward downloading stuff (stough?) anyway and it is always a gamble...not that I ever would download something I wasn't supposed to of course (ahem (:-O )

What about Lenny's suggestion? ^^^ Is that any good to you?

kholinar
Caterpillar

Postby kholinar » Tue May 04, 2010 2:15 pm

What about Lenny's suggestion? ^^^ Is that any good to you?
Looks like those are NTSC too...

What a mess. I see a US Import version that's PAL, but it's dubbed in Spanish.

I'll never understand why the movie studios make it so hard to give them money.

Ridiculous that WAMH sits there with money in hand and can't do anything with it... It's like if you had a restaurant where the food takes days to cook and then complained when your customer walked out and picked an apple off of a tree to eat... It should say something to you that your customer is willing to put up with those worms...

Kirkinson
Humpty Dumpty

Postby Kirkinson » Tue May 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Michael Brooke (an expert in Eastern European cinema, who produced the BFI's magnificent compilation of Svankmajer's shorts) has suggested that there are complicated rights issues stemming from the nature of Alice's production (Svankmajer, who was not exactly a favorite of Czech authorities at that time, got funding for it by misrepresenting what he was going to do) that make it difficult for companies to license legally.

In the mean time, you could always try ordering the Dutch DVD. It's region 2 and has the same English dub that was originally released in the UK and US.

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 pm

In the mean time, you could always try ordering the Dutch DVD. It's region 2 and has the same English dub that was originally released in the UK and US.
Oooooooh, thanks so much! :O Now the future's bright!

On a side note, I'm also VERY miffed to discover that the recent US region 1 re-release of my all-time favourite Alice adaptation (1966, you know the one) has loads of amazing extras including a full length biopic of Alice Liddell and Lewis Carroll!! WHY OH WHY MUST YOU GET ALL THE GOOD THINGS? We're the ones who wrote the flippin' book in the first place! :'( Oh well, at least I have the film on dvd thanks to the BFI, but it's virtually devoid of extras. :(

Anyway, back to the topic. :-)

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Sun May 16, 2010 4:36 pm

UPDATE

So, imagine my amazement when a VHS of the film appears on eBay, starting big of £5.99. I was ecstatic, finally my chance to own the film! I placed a bid and saw no other activity for several days, so I thought to myself "Hey, it's an obscure film, no one else will be looking for it...surely?"

And then I go onto eBay this morning and, with a matter of hours to go, I find some ratty little cuss placed another bid overnight! So I placed another and thought "I've surely won". Not so. Now that dirty cuss is bidding £22.50 for it! Basically, I've lost. I don't have that money on me. :(

So it's come to this...a fight to the death just to acquire one film. It makes me sad, that two people should have to battle it out on eBay when over the Atlantic you can buy the film on Amazon with just the click of a button. :(

This is what pains me about liking the films I do--you have to go to such lengths to get them. I hope that cuss who wins the video is happy. They'd better watch their back, my teeth will be sharpened for their devouring. >:(

Zephyr
Dormouse

Postby Zephyr » Sun May 16, 2010 6:17 pm

I don't know if you want to make the extra investment, but there are a number of region-free DVD players that can play both NTSC and PAL discs on Amazon. Awhile back I was in the market for a new player and considered getting one of those for a DVD I thought might be from outside my region. A lot of the current ones feature high definition upscaling, which is always a nice feature. Just search "region free DVD player" on Amazon and you'll find a lot of options to choose from.

While that would solve the region-locking issue, I'm not sure what to recommend for your PAL TV...The ones I was looking at were for North American TVs. I'm sure there's a universal player for PAL televisions too, but I can't tell you offhand which model that would be.

And sadly, I don't know anything about VHS markets. If that's still the route you want to go, the only thing I can suggest is to keep trying eBay or maybe Craigslist? That's where a lot of the collectors' market is focused, unfortunately.

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Well, looks like this is now a closed case. Another Alice VHS appeared on eBay and I successfully WON IT for a whopping £7, which in my opinion is a bargain. It should arrive soon in the mail!!!! :D

aliceaficionado
Lewis Carroll

Postby aliceaficionado » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 pm

CONGRATS WE'REALLMADHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *applause* :D

(This is really offtopic, but I am very happy because I am soon to acquire a book of Lewis Carroll's complete works from 1937. AIW:-. )

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:23 am

(This is really offtopic, but I am very happy because I am soon to acquire a book of Lewis Carroll's complete works from 1937. AIW:-. )
:O Ooooo, old books are always amazing no matter what they're about! I have a book of his complete works but it's not really that old, it's that one with the green cover and the White Rabbit on the front. It's pretty big.

aliceaficionado
Lewis Carroll

Postby aliceaficionado » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:05 pm

Just got it today! It has AAIW, TTLG, Phantasmagoria, The Hunting of the Snark, and some letters!
(Now lets get back on topic ;) )

Return to “Buying, selling & collectibles”