Buying, selling & collectibles > First Edition 1886 Alice's Adventures Underground

Promote your or other people's Alice in Wonderland products, show off your collectibles, or ask for help with finding a specific item.
I Deeply Sympathize
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

First Edition 1886 Alice's Adventures Underground

Postby I Deeply Sympathize » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:07 am

Hi all,

My first post here. I have always loved Alice! Many years ago I bought a first edition of Alice's Adventures Underground. It looks just like this one:

Edit 7/18/11: The link no longer shows the 1886 red-bound copy so I deleted it.

My husband and I now are interested in possibly selling it. I am also considering donating it to a university library. We are near Yale (but I don't know if they already own a copy.)

If this were your book, and you were selling it, would you eBay it or seek another venue for selling it? A local book dealer perhaps?

If you were donating it to a library, how would you go about doing so in a way that would be best for the public enjoyment of the book? (I would not want it to end up in the library's book sale through someone's ignorance!)

Thanks in advance for replies.

Edit: Maybe even donation to a museum. Any recommendations as to which U.S. museum might particularly appreciate this? Does any museum in the USA have a Lewis Carroll exhibit?
Last edited by I Deeply Sympathize on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:57 am

You may also want to consider donating it to a Lewis Carroll society, like the one in the UK, or the Lewis Carroll Society of North America.
It won't be continuously displayed then, but you do know that it will be in the hands of people who truly appreciate it.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:06 am

Aha! I was just about to suggest contacting the Lewis Carroll Society of North America, not necessarily to donate the book to (although it does seem that they are happy to receive donations), but to ask for advice on who might be a good recipient of so generous a donation.

Their website is here:

http://www.lewiscarroll.org/

The place where I would consider donating the book is the Christ Church College Library as this is the place where Carroll was working when he wrote the book (I don't know if he was actually working at the library at the specific time he wrote AAIW, but he did work there at one point and he was working at the college)

The possible drawback with this is I think they would be unlikely to make the book accessible to the public, but would instead store it in their archives and only allow academics to view it.

Their website is here:

http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/library

I Deeply Sympathize

Postby I Deeply Sympathize » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Thank you for these suggestions! I was not aware that there was a Lewis Carroll Society in North America.

After posting here last night I did some more Googling and came up with the Lewis Carroll Soc. in the UK, and emailed them.

I got a response this morning from Mark Richards; he said he would contact some members in the USA to see if they had a suggestion for a place that doesn't already have a copy and could benefit.

I Deeply Sympathize

Postby I Deeply Sympathize » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 am

It's been a year since I posted, and my husband and I still have the 1st edition 1886 of Alice's Adventures Underground; it is the one bound in red and with gilt edges, of which only 5000 were printed.

We tried finding a group to donate it to, but those we contacted did not follow through on getting back to us. Which was perplexing, given what a nice donation it would have been.

So now we are looking at selling it. Of course we have considered eBaying it, but perhaps it could be listed here instead?

I am not familiar enough with this site to know if I can try to sell it here and I don't wish to violate the rules of the site.

If it can be sold here, there must be some way to upload photos?

I would appreciate comments on the advisability of listing it for sale here versus eBay.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:57 am

Although this forum is not an official selling or auctioning site, you can offer it for sale here. But there's no buyer or seller protection.
You can read the rules in the first sticky topic of this subforum.

To upload images, upload them to a photo sharing site like Flickr first, then link to it in your post like this:
[img]url of image[/img]

I Deeply Sympathize

Postby I Deeply Sympathize » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:09 am

Thank you, Lenny. Will discuss it further with my husband. Another option is offering it locally to a bookseller, I suppose. I would like to see it go to someone who will love it.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:33 am

If your book is the regular red cloth ed. and it is unsigned then the book will ave. about $250-$300. in v.g. condition and upwards of $500. in "fine" cod. Of course there are always variations.
The L.C. market is somewhat depressed due to the glut of L.C books sold on eBay. I am lucky that I sold $100, 000 worth of my 1st ed. and signed eds. in 2002 at the California Book Auctions prior to the real dip in the market.
I still have though close to 1,000 various eds. of LC Alice etc. books and ephemera to sell and no buyers!
I have already sold about 100 books on eBay, but haven't the time to list many which are worth less than $50. Plus i think i would rather sell the whole lot at once...
i am no longer collection L.C. because I had just about every book except the 1865 ed. and the ease of eBay destroyed the "thrill of the hunt" for me...and of course the wife didn't like two rooms of out house filled with Carroll-phernalia !

I would NOT donate the book, as it is fairly common in spite of the limited printing, so many org. that would amass L.C. material probably have it already.

I would put it up on eBay for min. bid or reserve using the guide lines i stated above. You can also check completed auctions every so often to get current values.

DO NOT sell to a book dealer..it his their job to resell it and they will only give you pennies on the dollar.

Otherwise, keep it, I really don't know why you are so insistent on getting rid of it.

I Deeply Sympathize

Postby I Deeply Sympathize » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 am

Thank you for your reply, it was very informative.

I have had a saved search on eBay for this book for over a year and saw only two of them listed in that time. So, it has been hard to get a sense of what final value to expect, based solely on that.

We are getting older and are trying to tidy our house, selling off various things that we no longer consider to be important enough to us to keep. I do not collect Alice items in general. It has been nice to own it but I think it's time to help it find a new home.

I really appreciate your post. If I list on eBay, I will provide a link here to the auction in case anyone who reads the forum is interested-- even just to watch the auction.

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:02 pm

If you love Alice like you say you do..and enjoy this forum, I would urge you to keep the book. How much room can a slim little volume take up anyway!
If you are really strapped for cash, how much is a few hundred dollars going to change your life?

I would, if that is what I must do, put it up on eBay with a reserve of between $300. and $500. depending on the cond. That is what most AAUG sell for in v.good to fine cond. unsigned...

Naku Chan In Wonderland
Queen Alice

Postby Naku Chan In Wonderland » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:50 pm

How much for it?

I Deeply Sympathize

Postby I Deeply Sympathize » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:59 am

I only realized now that there had been replies; I didn't mean to ignore them. It is our vacation week and life has been busy.

We are still thinking about what to do with it, mostly because our daughter is quite taken with the idea that we have an old book. She is currently reading it.

Return to “Buying, selling & collectibles”