Buying, selling & collectibles > HUGE Alice Collection For Sale??

Promote your or other people's Alice in Wonderland products, show off your collectibles, or ask for help with finding a specific item.
MWP

HUGE Alice Collection For Sale??

Postby MWP » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:06 pm

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I have/had a very large collection of Alice/Carroll related books, and ephemera.

In 2003, I auctioned off most of my 1st.eds. presentation copies, and rare eds. totaling about 50 or so volumes which realized about $100,000.

I still have quite a bit of vintage, early, and first illustrated editions, and hundreds of Carroll books/items, inc. many foreign translations, bio, and bibliographic materials, as well as ephemera inc. VHS, RARE items like the silent Disney ALICE films, recordings, dolls, figurines, toys, statues and misc. It would take a truck to haul it!!!

I have stopped actively collecting ALICE/CARROLL since the mid-90's as I had every copy I could afford inc. every 1st. ed. of every copy of Carroll authorized printings inc. two 1865 AAIW (2nd. printing) 3 pres. copies signed "by author'", and 2 actual contemporary albumen prints of Xie Kitchen. etc. etc.

A RARE American ed. of Alice signed by Alice Hargreaves to another child "Alice" when she was in NY. and this is NOT the LEC ed. that she signed hundreds of copies...

(The above items were sold)

It is NOT cataloged as yet.

I am wondering if anyone would be interested in acquiring the complete remaining collection (or might know someone)
Of, course, if anyone is interested in earnest, I would then spend a few days cataloging the collection.

I haven't figured out a price yet but under $5,000. surely, and maybe much lower... I actually forget all I have as about 1/2 of the collection is in airtight storage bins which I would have to go through.

Please: Do NOT ask me about selling individual copies, or items.

I have been, since 2003, been selling in dribs and drabs on eBay, but it would take me a thousand man-hours to list everything...and I am sick of doing this piecemeal.

So....anyone with an interest, or help in finding a buyer etc. please post, and if further discussion is needed, we can go from there.
Thank you.

Evertype
Honorary member

Postby Evertype » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:18 pm

I'd be interested to know what translations you have. Not that I can make you rich.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:13 pm

Just about every language you can think of....

French, German, Italian, Russian, Czech, Romanian, Chinese, Japanese, Tagalog, Arabic, Hindi, AU Aboriginal, Spanish, Swedish, Hebrew, Polish, Croat, Farsi, Portuguese, Dutch, Hungarian, Greek, Latin, Yiddish, Shorthand, Sioux, ....of the more important languages that I can remember... I have multiple ed. in some languages.

I also had the first Macmillan eds. of AAIW French, German (1869) and Italian (18720
But those were sold off...the French Alice 1869 was also a presentation copy signed by the author, it sold for $6,000. in 2003.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:17 pm

Oh, most of these books are packed away so I couldn't tell you the actual details of each..anyway, as I stated in my first post..I am not selling piecemeal, individual copies.l...collection is all or nothing....

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 pm

I notice that you don't have an Irish-language one. I am so offended that I shall not be able to sleep all night!

Evertype
Honorary member

Postby Evertype » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:09 pm

I don't need or want "ephemera inc. VHS, RARE items like the silent Disney ALICE films, recordings, dolls, figurines, toys, statues and misc", though I recognize the interest many people have in such things.

If you have seen my work (alice-in-wonderland-books.com) you will know that I have an abiding interest in foreign language translations—not in terms of collection for collection's sake, but rather my work is to put rare and out-of-print things back into print so people can use them.

I would like to see your catalogue of your translations, if you can put one together. (Have you really got a Yiddish translation?)

In any case, if you can put together such a catalogue it would be splendid, and would help me to know if you had items I would like to acquire. I also know some other collectors who would be interested in such a catalogue.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:57 am

I notice that you don't have an Irish-language one. I am so offended that I shall not be able to sleep all night!
I do have an Irish, and a Welsh...sorry I can't remember all that I have off the top of my head...

I also have Hindi and Aus. (Aboriginal) and a English/Afrikaner so I have just about every country that was loosely in the (former) British commonwealth !!

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:08 am

I don't need or want "ephemera inc. VHS, RARE items like the silent Disney ALICE films, recordings, dolls, figurines, toys, statues and misc", though I recognize the interest many people have in such things.

If you have seen my work (alice-in-wonderland-books.com) you will know that I have an abiding interest in foreign language translations—not in terms of collection for collection's sake, but rather my work is to put rare and out-of-print things back into print so people can use them.

I would like to see your catalogue of your translations, if you can put one together. (Have you really got a Yiddish translation?)

In any case, if you can put together such a catalogue it would be splendid, and would help me to know if you had items I would like to acquire. I also know some other collectors who would be interested in such a catalogue.
Unfortunately, as I have stated...I have come to the point that if I keep whittling down my collection, I will have many left-over books that will take up space but would be very hard to sell, or for any amount worth putting ion eBay one by one. Therefore, I have decided that except for an occasion duplicate copy, I will NOT sell ANY book by itself.

So...while I will spend the time (lots of it) to catalog my entire collection which is in various places now, if someone is REALLY interested in buying the whole shebang for $3-$5,000 + USD, I will not open box, after box, bin after bin to find ALL my translations, or any other sub-genre.

It would have been nice if I at least catorgorized the books when I put them in storage, but as I had am ajor remodeling done and I had to move them quickly out of the way...I do not have the former shelves and cabinets now to "re-instate" my whole collection into my home, so this is one of the reasons for selling...no pint in having books that will never be looked at!

...and yes, I DO have an AIW in Yiddish. All I remember is that it had paper wraps and was on the small side, nothing fancy, with Tenniel illustrations I believe.

Again, sorry...

Evertype
Honorary member

Postby Evertype » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:57 am

I understand your position, but in today's economy $3-$5K isn't easy for anybody to come up with. And since the collection includes many items that aren't of interest to me, I couldn't be interested in the whole collection in any case.

And anyway, without a catalogue... it's a lot of money for anyone to contemplate spending on a sight-unseen collection.

All I can say is that if you had a catalogue of what books you have—in particular a catalogue of the translations, someone like me could make an offer for books of interest, or indeed make an offer on the whole lot of translations all at once.

All I can do is hope that you might go through the boxes and weed out the translations into a separate box, and get back to me. I'll offer you $100 right now for the Yiddish Alice, if you can supply a photo of the title page and first page of the text. :-)

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:48 pm

There are more translations of the Alice books than I thought. I never considered a Yiddish one, but now it seems perfectly plausible.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:26 pm

And anyway, without a catalog... it's a lot of money for anyone to contemplate spending on a sight-unseen collection.
Again, as I said...if a few was interested in the collection as a whole, I would, sooner, rather than later, catalog my collection.
At the time of storage, I wasn't thinking about selling, just a temporary situation.
As far as the economy goes...it depends. Some are hurting, others are not... Where I live, almost everyone has a new car, and most would fall in the luxury category (BMW.Lexus, Porche, Escalade, and Prius) The supermarkets sell cookies @ $7.00 for SIX! Though housing has dropped a bit, the newspaper headline yesterday was about the housing market coming back, where the ave. 3 bed house is $800,000 to $1.2M !!

I am only saying this for perspective sake....there are many who can afford to buy a Appleton Alice for $20,000. and of course many who couldn't afford a reproduction copy.

Considering the extent an amount of my collection, even $5,000. would be pennies on the dollar."

I am gearing the sale to those who want to amass a large collection at one without taking the 20 years it took me to hunt the items down.

While $100. for the Yiddish Alice may not be too much off the mark, the time an energy to locate it would be like a photographer (before digital) going through box after box of stored negatives in order to make (1) 5X7 print for a former client. (not worth the trouble)

And then there's the aspect of further reducing the value of the collection as a whole, making hundreds of books less sale able for the sake of ONE book!

Evertype
Honorary member

Postby Evertype » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Well, dear Guest, I guess all I can say is I'm very disappointed.

I understand that there are collectors who are interested in collecting for pleasure and profit. And maybe there is fun, and profit, in it.

You came here looking for a buyer for the whole lot. I guess none of us can afford to buy a big uncatalogued collection, and as I said to you, I for my part wouldn't want to buy a collection of anything but books, since I've no interest in other ephemera, though I understand that people do.

You have found here, in me, an ardent Carrollian, who is doing what he can to make old and out-of-print texts available to everybody. To me, that activity is more interesting than just amassing a collection, and then hoping to find a buyer for it.

So I'm interested in your Yiddish Alice, not to make my collection nicer, or to hope to sell it later for $200, but so I can make the text available in a new edition to new generations. A Yiddish Alice is a rarity. I haven't got one. Nobody I know has one.

I might even be able to consider buying all of your translations, if there were a catalogued list of them, and if that were the only way of getting some of the choicer morsels that I could make use of to further my Carrollian project, which is for the benefit of everybody.

Unfortunately, there may be nothing I can say that will change your mind, if it's made up. Like the great Dragon Smaug, under the Lonely Mountain, you sit upon a treasure. But is it doing you, or anybody else, any good?

I guess I can hope that you will think of what uses might be made of the treasure, rather than just thinking of it as a commodity.

I hope you re-consider your plans. The Carrollian community at large will be grateful to you if you do.

In the meantime, it breaks my heart not to be able to get hold of a Yiddish Alice. But I can't pay you $5000 for one.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:00 pm

I think that Mister Evertype makes a fair point.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:31 am

Perhaps you can split up your complete collection into subcollections, like books, movies, merchandise, etc.
You'll have a better chance at selling a complete subcollection than the whole.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 pm

In the meantime, it breaks my heart not to be able to get hold of a Yiddish Alice. But I can't pay you $5000 for one.

I understand your disappointment.

I know it will be later rather than sooner to sell my entire collection at once, but..

(1) I believe my collection as it stands is worth much more than the $3-$5,000. I would ask for it.

(2) I started collecting Carroll material back in the early 80's. I spent decades building it.Made much harder by the lack of the internet then. When I started, I saw a few local collections, one of which took up most of TWO houses...and very large and expensive ones at that.

(3) There are still people out there that want to build a very large collection, and not take 20 years to do so...

(4) There are also people (as my previous post said) that DO have the money.

(5) Even $5,000. is not much to spend for a few hundred out of print books, and boxes of ephemera when even in today's economy, spending $20,000. on one book alone is nothing unusual.

I can understand that the members of this forum may not fit into the more affluent category, but when made the original post, I did not know who viewed this forum.

The idea of breaking up the collection into sub-genres may be good if i was up to cataloging, as Lovett did, my entire collection. And... that is surely the way I would do it if someone was seriously interested in my entire collection, where it would be worth the time.

However, except for duplicate copies...why would I now sell off my collection a book here and a book there, which is what I HAVE been doing all along!!

What would I gain?? (and please...no idealized, charitable reasons)

My main reason for selling is that I need the $$$, and to make room.
Selling books a few at a time does neither!

I'll be dead and buried before I sell off my last book, if I sell one by one. and to contemplate putting up each separate book on eBay, or craigslist, or even here on this forum would take all my time and there would be no guarantees of totally divesting myself of the collection.

No thanks...I rather wait for the right person to come along, rather than then contemplate the other.

Return to “Buying, selling & collectibles”