Miscellaneous Alice > The mystery of Lewis Carroll by Jenny Woolf

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
White Night
Queen Alice

The mystery of Lewis Carroll by Jenny Woolf

Postby White Night » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 am

I finished reading this book and it is wonderful. It was clearly very carefully researched, and does not paint Carroll as a saint or a sinner, but as a complex man, that was as difficult to fully understand in his time as he is ours, but only for different reasons.

One of the things I appreciated most, was how well things were put in context. He was a man in Victorian England, each of those parts are looked at how they contibuted to who he was. I'm not sure I said that well, but Jenny Woolf does.

If you are interested in the man behind story, read this book.

[edit by webmaster] I split off these post from the original topic, as that one was about a free giveaway and these posts are reviews of the book
Last edited by White Night on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenny2write
Honorary member

Postby jenny2write » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:50 am

White Knight, I am so pleased that you like my book. This is the kind of thoughtful and insightful response that I hoped it would get. Jenny

I finished reading this book and it is wonderful. It was clearly very carefully researched, and does not paint Carroll as a saint or a sinner, but as a complex man, that was as difficult to fully understand in his time as he is ours, but only for different reasons.

One of the things I appreciated most, was how well things were put in context. He was a man in Victorian England, each of those parts are looked at how they contibuted to who he was. I'm not sure I said that well, but Jenny Woolf.

If you are interested in the man behind story, read this book.

jenny2write
Honorary member

Postby jenny2write » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:07 am

[quote="jenny2write"]White Knight,

I meant White Night :)

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Yes I finished also.

As White Knight said, Jenny puts everything in context/percpective for us, the 21st century readers, to make a picture for a still complex man with an unravel lifestyle.

With the most updated information and unpublished letters she connect all the puzzles in a friendly way to understand a man from a different time and standards that certainly will not fit into ours... jenny is the first 21st century biographer of C.L. Dodgson.

Highly recommended for those who wich to see the real man in his own Victorian world.

*Excellent job!*

DIS:-)

jenny2write
Honorary member

Postby jenny2write » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks for this, also. It is so cool.... will link this thread to FB next post I do there.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Jenny's The Mystery of LC.

Postby NeVaR aSk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:00 am

~Stand forth, then, from the shadowy past.~

When trying to understand a complex, multi-faceted and talented person it is not surprising to see a “tangle-tale” whirling in all directions. It’s somewhat amusing to see all the angles and ideas created from only a change of mind-state or simply a skip of generations. All the so called mysteries conceived by a swift of percpective or just by accidental loving-caring recollection of events certainly can transform a man’s life… C.L. Dodgson was no exception.

This new, insightful and refreshing biography gives us a different view and fair context to visualize an interesting person that sometimes raised brows right from the begining all the way on to our modern standards. This goes specifically around 1930’s when all the misladen information arrange in a manner that, instead of helping, lead us to a pit-stop of confussion… giving itself more space to connotations and aiding our modern approach wich sometimes collides unrighteously.

It’s about time for someone to use the most updated information and un-published recollections to make an accurate description the best as possible. To make sense and re-direct us for the true aspects of Dodgson’s charcter and life even though it may not suit everyone… but that is what a true biography is all about. Of course we don’t have to agree with every theory and statement but undoubtedly will encourage us to view things the right and proper way.

Jenny cleared away most of the pieces unjustly sticked together. With much optimism and thorough research she tackles the positive-negative spectrum of his life telling us that he was always seeking goodness but not always suited him… as often happens with our own life. So now at last C.L. Dodgson will stand forth!

*Highly recommended :-) *

[edit by webmaster] I pasted your topic to this existing one

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”