The Nursery “Alice” is a shortened version of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, adapted by Lewis Carroll himself for ‘children from nought to five’.
The book contains 20 of the original illustrations from John Tenniel, which were enlarged, slightly altered, and colorized for this edition. The cover was drawn by E. Gertrude Thomson.
The book was dedicated by Carroll to Marie van de Gucht, who was 15 during the time of publication. The prefatory poem is an acrostic verse; the second letters of each line spell out Marie’s name. (source: Zoe Jaques and Eugene Gidders, “Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. A Publishing History”, Ashgate Studies in Publishing History, Ashgate Publishing, 2016, p. 73)
Below you can find all chapters of this book:
- Chapter 1: The White Rabbit
- Chapter 2: How Alice grew tall
- Chapter 3: The Pool of Tears
- Chapter 4: The Caucus-Race
- Chapter 5: Bill, the Lizard
- Chapter 6: The dear little Puppy
- Chapter 7: The Blue Caterpillar
- Chapter 8: The Pig-Baby
- Chapter 9: The Cheshire-Cat
- Chapter 10: The Mad Tea-Party
- Chapter 11: The Queen’s Garden
- Chapter 12: The Lobster-Quadrille
- Chapter 13: Who stole the tarts?
- Chapter 14: The Shower of Cards
Thanks to Aliang.net for allowing me to reproduce his digital version of the book on my site.