Movies > Dreamchild (1985)

About officially released Alice in Wonderland movies, like Disney's cartoon and Tim Burton's movie.
We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Dreamchild (1985)

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Surprised no-one's made a thread about this film yet (and if they have, sorry Lenny!)

This film is yet to be released on DVD. :( Luckily, Youtube came to my rescue and I watched the whole of Dreamchild last night. Personally I thought it was brilliant, but the flashback scenes are really the only bits that interested me, I found that the 1930s stuff got in the way a bit. I didn't care much for the whole Lucy/Guy-from-the-OC-who's-a-reporter* subplot. :| Even though it did help you to understand the sort of person little Alice grew up to be.

However I found the flashback scenes, the scenes with Carroll in, to be very sinister indeed. They seemed to portray him as a leering pedophile, who stares creepily at Alice at every possible opportunity. *SPOILER ALERTS POSSIBLE, IF YOU'RE BOTHERED ABOUT THAT KIND OF THING, WHICH YOU MIGHT BE.....BUT THEN AGAIN, YOU MIGHTN'T, FOR WHOEVER GOT IN TOO MUCH OF A FUSS ABOUT A SPOILER. WHO EVEN CAME UP WITH THE WORD? IT'S CERTAINLY A QUEER SORT OF PHRASE, 'SPOILER'. YOU MIGHT AS WELL CALL IT A 'GIVE-AWAYER'.*

The scene in the darkroom, where he gets on the verge of telling Alice "I love you" just seemed too...much. Didn't help that the music was quite creepy as well. But I thought Ian Holm played Carroll very well, and I liked the fact they didn't ham up his stutter too much as to be distracting. He gets across a great sense of sadness, and he always holds back in fear of telling Alice how he "really feels". My heart broke in the scene when Alice and the girls laugh at him when he sings The Lobster Quadrille on the riverbank, I felt like smacking her one. :( And the use of real locations (it was actually filmed at Christ Church College) gives it a level of authenticity.

But the film also hints that Carroll may even have molested Alice, which also made me sad. However the fantasy sequences, for example the Tea Party scene, are really good, as the characters are almost decayed with age. And the bit in the 1930s where Alice, abandoned by Lucy, goes crazy and sees Lewis Carroll in the mirror looking sadly at her was borderline horror-movie. It's freaky!

So what do you guys think about it? Have any of you seen it? It IS a good film, though it concentrates more on Alice Liddell/Hargreaves rather than Carroll himself. Perhaps one day someone will make a decent biopic of him that doesn't portray him as a possible child-molester. Those of you who haven't seen it, check Youtube.

*You must understand that I LOATH the OC, but as my sister loves it and has the DVDs I've seen bits of it with him in it. The day I start liking the OC, the whole world will turn into a cushion made of marmalade and tippex.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:40 am

There has been a topic about this movie, but it was many years ago: viewtopic.php?t=1244

Actually, the movie is available on DVD, but it is some kind of print-on-demand DVD: http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/shop/B002Y26UMO

Peppertarts
Queen Alice

Postby Peppertarts » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to. What's the rating in Britain? I get the feeling that a film that contains hints at paedophilia (sp?) would be too mature for a fourteen-year-old to watch. :?

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:35 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I'd like to. What's the rating in Britain? I get the feeling that a film that contains hints at paedophilia (sp?) would be too mature for a fourteen-year-old to watch. :?
For a 14 year old? Certainly not, there are far worse things to watch, like the the Saw films or Hostel. If you are even slightly interested in Lewis Carroll, watch this film. It's really well done.

Peppertarts
Queen Alice

Postby Peppertarts » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:54 pm

You're right, I looked it up on amazon and its only a PG. I'll watch it on youtube now. Thanks. :-)

Peppertarts
Queen Alice

Postby Peppertarts » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:43 pm

I watched it!
It was brilliant, although the Wonderland characters were a little bit freaky, but I suppose that's what the point was supposed to be, since Alice had grown up, and hey, it's Jim Henson. :-)

I too felt really sad when the girls laughed at him singing The Lobster Quadrille. :(

I laughed with the whole "Don't say don't!" thing though. :D

Pepper

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:26 pm

jaja :D even a kid can watch it. It doesn't have any strong innuendoes but maybe a bit shocking how the characters are depicted.
... and hey, it's Jim Henson. :-)
'Nuff said!... Hail to the king!

Becca

Postby Becca » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:02 am

Seen it! Ovation TV airs it periodically.

One of my favorite AiW films.

:]

hoshi
Humpty Dumpty

Postby hoshi » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:45 pm

I saw this a couple of years ago, and, personally, it was a little hard for me to watch. Because I hold Charles Dodgson in such high regards, it was painful to see him in such a manner.

This is one Alice dvd I don't mind skipping over.

Lewis Carrie
White Knight

Dreamchild (1985)

Postby Lewis Carrie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:53 pm

I have seen Dreamchild and I think that it is a great movie. I was standing and clapping in the part in the hall at the Carroll Centenary Exhibition after Alice gave her speech! A wonderful movie! DIS:-)

thefrogwhisperer
Mad Hatter

Postby thefrogwhisperer » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:16 pm

what about an 11 year old watching it? DIS:-S

Peppertarts
Queen Alice

Postby Peppertarts » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:12 pm

what about an 11 year old watching it? Disney confused
I reckon that'd be fine - like I said, it's only a PG :-)

thefrogwhisperer
Mad Hatter

Postby thefrogwhisperer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:52 pm

okay. my friend and i tried to watch it at a sleepover but we couldn't get it on netflix.

Lewis Carrie
White Knight

Dreamchild (1985)

Postby Lewis Carrie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:43 am

okay. my friend and i tried to watch it at a sleepover but we couldn't get it on netflix.
I watched it on YouTube. I could only watch it in ten minutes segments but still, it's there. Just type in Dreamchild.

thefrogwhisperer
Mad Hatter

Postby thefrogwhisperer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:27 am

'kay i'll try
DIS|-p

Return to “Movies”