Movies > Best and Worst Portrayal of Alice?

About officially released Alice in Wonderland movies, like Disney's cartoon and Tim Burton's movie.
MyOwnLittleWorld
Dormouse

Best and Worst Portrayal of Alice?

Postby MyOwnLittleWorld » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:58 am

Best Portrayal of Alice: Mia Wasikowska. She has this certain dreamy quality to her that I find really endearing. I can understand why Tim Burton chose her; she just has this unique charm that pulls me in. Plus I LOVE her hair.

Worst Portrayal of Alice: Tina Marjorino. I don't think she was THAT bad, but she was really annoying as Alice. Her face was very unappealing and she talked in this weird "baby-ish" voice. I just find her irritating and unlikable.

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 am

Best: Those who know me by now will be able to predict my answer...I just think that Jonathan Miller's portrayal of Alice (1966) really fits well. She's not chirpy or annoying, she's actually a bit on the miserable side, staring vacantly into the distance and looking generally very Victorian and melancholic. It works, seeing as Miller took into account the presence of Alice Liddell in the books. Plus she has amazing hair too, all big and tangled like a Pre-Raphaelite painting, giving her a wild look to her.

Worst: The Disney cartoon's Alice. God I hate her. With her stupid blonde hair and blue dress, talking in that ridiculous 'English' accent. She may be everyone's favourite Alice seeing as it's a horridly overrated Americanised piece of tosh that doesn't come close capturing the spirit of Lewis Carroll. For me this Alice fails big time.

Other favourite portrayals:
Tina Majorino. I like her, probably because my grandma had this version on video and I would watch it loads of times. Plus she wears a yellow dress rather than a blue one.
The little girl in Svankmajer's Alice. A bit like Miller's Alice she too has that moody appeal, always looking very sulky and down. But once again it works.

EDIT: I apologise, MyOwnLittleWorld, if I've come across as being a bit of a grumpy old man, especially in my slagging off of Disney's Alice (which, gathering from your post about a sequel, I presume is a film you like). Spend a bit of time on this forum and you'll realise that I positively hate the Disney film, preferring the more unusual and 'arthouse' portrayals of Alice. So I'm sorry if we've got off on the wrong foot. :-)

Peppertarts
Queen Alice

Postby Peppertarts » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Well, I have two favourites:
Fiona Fullerton (1972), because even though she was way over seven, she managed to create the right image, in my opinion. Or maybe I just like the dress . . . I don't know . . .

Mia Wasikowska (2010) because . . . well, I think MyOwnLittleWorld said it all. :D

Worst:
Natalie Gregory (1985) because her voice kind of annoys me. Sure she's cute, but the Alice in my head isn't so whiny. Like at the beginning when she was all "When will I be grown up?" I just thought DIS:-/ .

Anyway, those are mine. :)

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Worst:
Natalie Gregory (1985) because her voice kind of annoys me. Sure she's cute, but the Alice in my head isn't so whiny. Like at the beginning when she was all "When will I be grown up?" I just thought DIS:-/ .
Ahhh, I forgot about HER. Yep, I hate her as well. She's too whiny. :(

MyOwnLittleWorld
Dormouse

Postby MyOwnLittleWorld » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:18 pm

I apologise, MyOwnLittleWorld.
Oh no it's okay, though I wonder why you think the movie was "Americanized". I remember reading an article where people from the UK hated the movie because it was "Americanized". Which must have been frustrating for Disney, seeing that he was trying to please both the American people and the British people...but I guess it didn't work out too well?

But anyway, I understand if you hate it. I actually love it very much. I grew up watching it and remembered how underrated it was when the company payed more attention to the other Disney films. I remember I went to a Disney store and there was NO Alice merchandise, which angered me. But now that's not the case, I feel like it's becoming more popular again.

I haven't watched the 1966 version of Alice yet, but I saw a clip and she's a pretty girl. I never thought of Alice as this miserable, sad child (even if she's in a magical world) but that's really interesting.
Natalie Gregory (1985) because her voice kind of annoys me. Sure she's cute, but the Alice in my head isn't so whiny. Like at the beginning when she was
I thought she was fine, but her hair was so obviously fake. I couldn't stop staring at it throughout the whole movie. It was so stiff and didn't look natural at all.

Wandaland

Postby Wandaland » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:05 am

Natalie Gregory (1985) because her voice kind of annoys me. Sure she's cute, but the Alice in my head isn't so whiny. Like at the beginning when she was all "When will I be grown up?"
I'm confused. She didn't really deliver that line in a "whiny" way...usually when someone whines, they would say something like "But mooommmmmyyyyy, when will I be grown up! Wah wah wah!!!" in that nagging, irritating way. But she didn't do that.

anyway, my favorite portrayal of Alice is... Katheryn Beaumount. even though she only provided her voice and not her physical being, I still really like how she talked and she had that very simple, sweet singing voice. Mia Wasikowsa is also a good one. she was kinda blank and emotionless at certain parts, but her charisma definitely made up for it.

the one I liked the least was Tina Marjorino...I thought she was OK, but my only problem with her is the way she talked...like you can tell that's not how she normally talks. it was like she was doing a bad impression of Betty Boop.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Re: Best and Worst Portrayal of Alice?

Postby NeVaR aSk » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:47 pm

Best Portrayal of Alice: Mia Wasikowska.
Blasphemy!

jaja!

MyOwnLittleWorld
Dormouse

Postby MyOwnLittleWorld » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:24 am

Blasphemy!

jaja!
Um...what?

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:10 pm

Blasphemy!

jaja!
Um...what?
She sucks... thats why.

Also the girl from the 1985 version/1933 Charlotte Henry... meh.

Fionna Fullerton >> [insert anyone]

guest01

Postby guest01 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 pm

Blasphemy!

jaja!
I`m sorry but I have to agree. I don`t want to sound mean, but she was too much damsel in distress, which isn`t like Alice at all. Sure at the end they put a sword in her hands and made her all "I suddenly realised what a feminist I am, I go to china now, you can all f*** of". Yeah right...But I just wasnt`t able to believe it. It all felt so "wannabe".
She was just turned into some kind of fashion-model, every male character in wonderland suddenly had a crush on for no logical reason. And I didn`t get why she whined the whole time that "this is all impossible", when she earlier in the "real world" rubbed in everyone`s face how crazy and different she is and how much fantasy she has and what not. And then when she is in Wonderland she is suddely a realist....
Am I the only one who felt her to be painfully mary-sueish? Even though I think it wasn`t on purpouse...
But okay, I guess it all depends on what kind of script you get, when the script is bad you can`t fix it as an actor anyways.

Again, I don`t want to sound mean, that`s just my opinion....

Alice should never be an adult woman... That`s the problem, I don`t know why she is so often portrayed much older than she is.

Wunderland

Postby Wunderland » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:27 pm

anyway, my favorite portrayal of Alice is... Katheryn Beaumount. even though she only provided her voice and not her physical being, I still really like how she talked and she had that very simple, sweet singing voice.
I always thought it is so creepy when Walt Disney stands behind her and grabs her. There are so many photos like that, when you google it.
lol I`m sorry I had to say that. (:-O

Grimley Fieendish
Mad Hatter

Postby Grimley Fieendish » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Blasphemy!

jaja!
I`m sorry but I have to agree. I don`t want to sound mean, but she was too much damsel in distress, which isn`t like Alice at all. Sure at the end they put a sword in her hands and made her all "I suddenly realised what a feminist I am, I go to china now, you can all f*** of". Yeah right...But I just wasnt`t able to believe it. It all felt so "wannabe".
She was just turned into some kind of fashion-model, every male character in wonderland suddenly had a crush on for no logical reason. And I didn`t get why she whined the whole time that "this is all impossible", when she earlier in the "real world" rubbed in everyone`s face how crazy and different she is and how much fantasy she has and what not. And then when she is in Wonderland she is suddely a realist....
Am I the only one who felt her to be painfully mary-sueish? Even though I think it wasn`t on purpouse...
But okay, I guess it all depends on what kind of script you get, when the script is bad you can`t fix it as an actor anyways.

Alice should never be an adult woman... That`s the problem, I don`t know why she is so often portrayed much older than she is.
To paraphrase the T.V Tropes Wiki site, Alice is often the victim of the Dawson Casting trope, & the Alice In Wonderland page on said site, mentions with regard to said trope, that there have only been 4 actresses that have played Alice, that have been remotely near the age of Alice, as depicted in the books, i.e pre teen...
As for why this is the case, I suspect that extremely few actresses have the acting experience to play the role convincingly, at a pre-teen age...

guest01

Postby guest01 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Blasphemy!

jaja!

To paraphrase the T.V Tropes Wiki site, Alice is often the victim of the Dawson Casting trope, & the Alice In Wonderland page on said site, mentions with regard to said trope, that there have only been 4 actresses that have played Alice, that have been remotely near the age of Alice, as depicted in the books, i.e pre teen...
As for why this is the case, I suspect that extremely few actresses have the acting experience to play the role convincingly, at a pre-teen age...
I agree that a 7 year old would be probably too young, although there are some actors that start very very early. If they are good actors already or not, that`s a different question... But they could at least cast a child. Everyone over the age of 11 or 12 looks weird in this role. Alice is supposed to present childhood and innocence...and the imaginsim only children have. At least that`s what I always thought.

Especially the japanese turned her into some kind of teenaged manga sex-symbol. It kinda creeps me out.

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Best: Fionna Fullerton

Aside from being older, I think she was perfect!

Worst: Natalie Gregory

There was something about her that just didn't fit the character of Alice in the way she acted. She acted more like a child than a child who is more grown up.

Simbabbad
White Knight

Postby Simbabbad » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Best: Kate Beckinsale (Through the Looking Glass). She doesn't have the right age (it's explained in the movie), but the way she plays it is excellent. She acts marvelled, happy, annoyed, frustrated, worried etc. as she should, when she should. Like all the other actors, she makes everything believable, even though they basically had no money for anything.

Worst: Mia Wasikowska, by far. She basically never express anything, never looks directly at anybody (then again, nobody does in that terrible mess of a film), never reacts as she should (she doesn't react at all), and in general never acts like a character who exists. She's just transparent, and has nothing to do with Alice. Not to mention she doesn't look or sound the part at all.

Return to “Movies”