Movies > Mad Hatter Question ?

About officially released Alice in Wonderland movies, like Disney's cartoon and Tim Burton's movie.
Loki
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Mad Hatter Question ?

Postby Loki » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:08 pm

Every time I watch the old Alice movie I always see more and more that just makes me think. But anyway does anyone know why the card in the mad hatters hat reads 10/6? I mean if you reduce the fraction it comes out to be 1 2/3.But I can't seem to find any reference to this anywhere. If anyone can help me settle my mind I would appreciate it. Thank you

Piecraft
Queen Alice

Postby Piecraft » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:32 pm

It is supposed to represent the price of the hat I think. According to some people, especially in Anna M. Richards book "A New Alice in the Old Wonderland" the Hatter explains to Alice that the hat he is wearing was a display model and is one of a kind.

Loki
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby Loki » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:08 pm

I did some research on the subject of "Mad Hatter" and found that at the time hat makers used mercury in the processing of fur for top hats. After long exposure they would develope mercury poisoning . The symtoms of which are mental insanity. So accept the idea of it being a price tag, but could it be more? Thank you for your help.

Lukeys

10/6

Postby Lukeys » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:32 pm

Couldn't the 10/6 simply be concerning the size of the Hat ?

jerseybelle
Queen Alice

Postby jerseybelle » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:30 pm

It's the price tag... 10 shillings and 6 pence... hmmmmm????

Mouse
Humpty Dumpty

Postby Mouse » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:08 pm

*Purrs* (Odd, a mouse that purrs, hehe) That, m'dear, is precisely my theory. AIW:-)

islalei

Postby islalei » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:31 am

It's the price tag... 10 shillings and 6 pence... hmmmmm????
You are correct, it is a price tag... and cheap price (from what I heard)! No wonder the Hatter went mad... hatters wear their own items for a long time and nobody's buying them, the mercury oozes in to their brains, and they all became raving madmen.

-------

"We all go a little mad sometimes."

simply mad!

Postby simply mad! » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:19 am

I think that it is a date, October 6th and that is what i think of the hat [/i][/code]

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:35 am

It's a price tag
The Hatter used to carry about hats to sell: and even the one that he’s got on his head is meant to be sold. You see it’s got its price marked on it—a “10” and a “6”—that means “ten shillings and sixpence.” Wasn’t that a funny way of selling hats ?
~ Lewis Carroll, The Nursery Alice

http://www.aliang.net/literature/the_nu ... _ch10.html

Return to “Movies”