Movies > 3 Things You Loved and Hated In the Disney Movie

About officially released Alice in Wonderland movies, like Disney's cartoon and Tim Burton's movie.
Jess
Honorary member

Postby Jess » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 am

Thanks for the link - that looks rather brilliant! Pretty art and TTLG references... will definitely have to get it, I think! Too bad I just ordered some stuff from Amazon last week... I try to do larger orders, less often, to save on shipping. Oh well... *adds to wishlist*

Also... welcome, Crispy Hare! Hope you enjoy it here. I definitely agree with you on - well, not the Disney version specifically, but choosing the version you like over holding strictly to the book version. I think that's part of the fun of the Alice stories - there are so many different interpretations! But you should definitely read the books too, so you know the original version and understand where the adaptions have changed it. :)

A Crispy Hare
Dormouse

Postby A Crispy Hare » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:17 am

Also... welcome, Crispy Hare! Hope you enjoy it here. I definitely agree with you on - well, not the Disney version specifically, but choosing the version you like over holding strictly to the book version. I think that's part of the fun of the Alice stories - there are so many different interpretations! But you should definitely read the books too, so you know the original version and understand where the adaptions have changed it. :)
Thank you very much, Jess, for the welcome and the advice!

I do agree that it's much more fun that there are so many different interpretations of the story. The characters all seem to have a different personality in each version. It's quite a lot of fun to think about. You could probably take all of the different March Hares and write a story about them all crossing paths, they're so different!

I definitely will get to reading those books, though. That's top on my bucket list.

rhakeson
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby rhakeson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 am

I loved everything in Disney; fulfillment of dreams and fantasy. Uhm I AIW I hate the Queen of Hearts, so annoying. O the contrary I like the tea party part, wherein Alice shrink and Hatter put her in the pot to hide from the guards and made a cute small dress for her afterwards.

Tulgeys
Dormouse

Disney Film

Postby Tulgeys » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Three things I loved:

1. The music! (I also love how they play songs from the movie in Disneyland).

2. Sterling Halloway's voice performance of the Cheshire Cat.

3. The pacing; it seems to never be rushed nor drag. Contrary to popular opinion on this forum, I even liked the pacing and placement of the Tulgey Wood scene.

Three things I hated:

"Hated"? Seriously? This truly is one of my favorite movies. Yes, I know it's vastly different in some aspects than the books; but for what it is, it is a superb adaptation. As with many others here, this movie was also my introduction to all things Wonderland so I owe it a debt.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:49 am

It's hard to be an Alice purist, since Lewis Carroll wasn't, so anymore I just stick to the 1866 Macmillan text. (Even when that one was published, the reviewers chose to be enthused by the 42 illustrations by John Tenniel, not by the story, according to Michael Hancher.) As for the 1951 animation, basing a film on the music had worked for Disney with Fantasia and several other earlier productions, so why not for Alice in Wonderland too?

More recently, the formula was used by the Brothers Quay on making non-Alice short films.

I like Disney's Cheshire Cat, and that the 1951 animated film renewed public appreciation of the Alice characters when they needed that. It is also understandable that Disney was a dirty name in the Bunin household at the time.

1951AliceCreator
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby 1951AliceCreator » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:30 am

1 Alice's Pantalettes Gotta Love Being Attracted To Em?
2 The White Rabbit He's Always Late For A Very Important Date
3 The Queen Of Hearts She's Hilarious Yet So Evil At The Same Time

1 The Flowers They're So Stuck Up And Snooty Aren't They?
2 The Caterpillar Why Must He Scream At Alice For Not Know What Side Of His Mushroom She's Holding?
3 The Croquet Game Don't You Hate It When The Cheshire Cat Is Trying To Help Alice But Ends Up Being A Very Sarcastic Trickster To The Queen Of Hearts Instead? Cruel Right??? (:-O (:-O

homegroup

Postby homegroup » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:34 am

things i love

1. Alice in general! she was absolutely adorable!!

2. Dinah was the cutest ever

3. The caterpiller

the things i hated

1. The queen... totally mean!

2. (to restate) the flowers

3. The pig baby

Return to “Movies”