Feedback & Announcements > Input needed

Forum guidelines and announcements. Compliments, suggestions, bug reports, etc. for the webmaster.
Lenny
Webmaster

Input needed

Postby Lenny » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:52 am

It turns out that the new website lay-out isn't really working. Also, the information needs to be regrouped to make it easier to find.
I am thinking of splitting up the contents of the topic index category into seperate categories:

1. 'Basics': Background info, pictures, texts, lost chapter, trivia, summaries
2. 'Analysis': story origins, picture origins, poem origins, explanations, study guide, character descriptions
3. 'Other': FAQ, links, downloads, mad tea party tips

Now I am not sure what to call those categories. Do you have any ideas? What sounds logical to you?
I certainly don't want any category named 'other', the name needs to clearly communicate what's behind it.

Also, the current 'trivia' page used to be called 'striking facts', but I'm not happy with either name. Striking facts is to vague, and the page contains more in-depth facts than mere trivia. Any ideas about a good name for that page?

I am not a native English speaker, so perhaps you know better words than I do.

TrinityLion
Lewis Carroll

Postby TrinityLion » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Well, for "Other", you could use "Miscellaneous". I've seen it often used to indicate various other things.

For facts...um...I'll look into that. And the others.

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:40 pm

1. Down the Rabbit Hole and Through the Looking-Glass: Information of and beyond the books (maybe this is to cheesy... :| )
2. Origins and Explanations or (once again kinda cheesy) Beyond Wonderland and the Looking-Glass
3. "Miscellaneous", as TrinityLion suggested, is often used.

As for trivia you could put Little Known Facts, but that still seems vague....hmm....

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks for the response!

I need short descriptions, preferrably one word, maybe two, so I can use them in the menu. Like it currently says 'home' - 'topic index' - 'shop' - etc.

And 'miscellaneous' is too vague, just like 'other'; it really needs to communicate what info is behind it.
This is really difficult... AIW:-(

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 pm

yah... this is quite difficult cause if you use one or two words they will tend to be vague... we need someone with lots of english vocabulary (wich i'm not) or maybe use phrases... a bit more than two words.

this might help... i dunno :| . maybe if you can get words or small phrases from the book (something like quotes from the characters) that resemble what info is behind. then, if possible, put a pic of a character alongside the word or phrase. is like if someone post something that at the end puts an emoticon to give more sense to what he said previously.... erm... am i clear?? jeje

maybe in "basic" you can use "at a glance". in "analysis" put something like "did you know?"... bah!! this are vague also LOL... grrrr AIW:-(

here are some words or phrases that comes to mind:

did you know/need to know/know... did you?/LC world/whimsy world/whimsy facts/topsy turvy world/step throuh it/walk throuh it/look through it......

btw lenny... imo is good to put words or phrases that in a way don't tell what info is behind... or maybe words that tease a little making it more interesting and fun.

Jess
Honorary member

Postby Jess » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:27 pm

imo is good to put words or phrases that in a way don't tell what info is behind... or maybe words that tease a little making it more interesting and fun.
I don't really agree with that - not for a website that is based on providing people with information! It makes it frustrating to have to guess what the page might be about, when you're looking for a particular bit of information.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:04 pm

^ yah u have a point there... but also there is lots of people that browse for fun and they get attracted by funny words or phrases and they finally "click" the link and look for whatever they want.... its like to lure them into it you know.

i think the best thing would be fun words that gives an idea of what is behind (a happy medium between words and info)... i know that this website is about giving info but its good to have some fun stuff... not too straightforward... it would be boring.

TrinityLion
Lewis Carroll

Postby TrinityLion » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:29 pm

^ yah u have a point there... but also there is lots of people that browse for fun and they get attracted by funny words or phrases and they finally "click" the link and look for whatever they want.... its like to lure them into it you know.
Like "Don't click here" pages I often fall for...lol. But then again, this is an invormative site, people want to get to the info and not guess stuff. (lazy brains. D=)

Also, I agree with using phrases from the book...as long as they make sense. I also like The Queen of Hearts' suggestions...they sound good to me. :B

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:06 pm

As a website usability consultant, I have to stick with clear, obvious words and phrases, even though the story lends itself perfectly for clever and fun menu items... like 'Frumious Facts' DIS:-)

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:47 pm

there u go! DIS:-) ... "Frumious Facts"... thats a good one. but ...erm... we have to look for boring words... bah! DIS|-p

pattykins
Queen Alice

Postby pattykins » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:07 pm

How about 'Friviolous Facts' or maybe, 'Superfluous Statements' I have a vocabulary and its yours to use for whatever you need a synonym for. God, I need a life outside of grammar and literature. AIW:-(

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:37 pm

I think I'll just leave the categories as they are.

But I did come up with a new design, as I want to create space for links to 'related pages'.

Please let me know what you think of the design:
Topic index
Forum
Shop

The page will now scroll in full, not only the part with the content like it currently does. So the top menu won't be visible anymore if you scroll down.

1. Do you like the design?
2. Are there disturbing elements on the page? (irrelevant parts that attract your focus in stead of the content)
3. Are there elements on the page that you have a tendency to overlook?
3. Do you have a good feeling where in the site you are and where you can go to?
4. Is the right upper corner too crowded or not?
5. If you center the right page in your browser, keeping the bookfold on the left of your browser window, can you properly view all elements? If not, let me know what not and which monitor resolution you are using
6. Do you think the option to translate the pages is useful? (It will be done automatically by Google Translate, so it will not be a perfect translation)
7. Do you have any other remarks?

Thank you in advance!

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:06 pm

I like it and I think that the top part scrolling down will be good as well. I think some of the questions will have to wait for if you actually try it. :-) Overall,though I like it. :D On question 3, do you mean currently or when looking at the new design?

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:59 pm

On question 3, do you mean currently or when looking at the new design?
The new design

Return to “Feedback & Announcements”