Feedback & Announcements > good to see this site back

Forum guidelines and announcements. Compliments, suggestions, bug reports, etc. for the webmaster.
jenny2write
Honorary member

good to see this site back

Postby jenny2write » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:47 am

There have been outages on the site lately and it's good to see it back, may it long remain! DIS:-)

White Night
Queen Alice

Postby White Night » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:52 pm

Yes! Glad you are back.

Missed you guys (and gals) DIS:-)

JamesCraven
Caterpillar

Postby JamesCraven » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Personally, I'm hoping this can be fixed...

I was angered about yesterday and the event prior to that... DIS>:-(

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:06 am

I'm very glad to be back on-line too :p

Apparently my hosting company now also fixed the outgoing connections, so now the webshop works again too.

As I wasn't able to fix the forum problem, it may occur again. We traced it back to the 'recent posts' box on the homepage, which caused too much of a load. But I don't know why it overloaded the server all of a sudden - I never had problems with it before.

Let's hope it was an incident, and that no one was trying to hack the forum.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:55 pm

^ i dun want to sound pesimistic but this ain't good you know... i've never seen a site with time delays/crashes so continuous and prolonged.

it has some of the "symptoms" of a hacked site. from what i understand the high load on the server may be cause (among other things) by too much visitors and webpages from other webmasters.
i'm not saying that people who post their webpages here are the cause of it... but the possibilities are high.

also too much bugs/viruses or anyother harmful stuff can cause this.

Lenny my friend... do you search for anything harmful on the site??... i dun no if you can do this here but try to run "bugs search and destroy" protection program... you can download it free.

or is it that the server isn't good as supposed??... i dunno this is very weird.

plz don't take this wrong... i'm only trying to help. you know i respect you a LOT and praise your job here ;) . if you need any help from me i'm willing to do the best i can :-)

DIS:-)

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:54 pm

Don't worry, NeVaR AsK.

The problem was not related to too many visits, nor pages of other webmasters.

The first time the site went down was caused by the forum overload. However, all subsequent downtime was related to my hosting company who kept taking the site down, because at the same time they were also having trouble with the harddisk of the server, which had to be replaced. So they moved my site to a backup disk, which caused some downtime.
At first they put back an old copy of my site. So they had to take it down again.
Later, I told them the outgoing connections weren't working (which caused the webshop to stop working). They had to fix that too.

So I can still hope that the forum overload was just a one time problem.

My hosting company did tell me that someone tried to ddos my site a little while ago. They were able to catch that in time, before the server went down. Apparently they just forgot to tell me about it... DIS>:-)

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:16 pm

but...ermmm... why the overload?... i mean... i knew this can occur in big sites like yahoo,google,amazon and so forth... wow! :O ... i didn't knew this site has a lot of visitors (if thats what överload"refers to)... but yah maybe other stuff accounts too for this.

oh the hardisk of the server... i thought about it too but then i think that it cant be possible cause servers have a big harddisk and powerful too... at least that is what i've been told. but hey! now i know that anything can happen.

i knew it! someone try to ddos the page!! geez... what a shame bah!!... why people dun have better things to do! >:(

hope he/she catch a bug/virus to his PC!

btw... your web hosting comp. is not too good from what i notice here.

anyway... lets hope that the site continues without all this freakin trouble.

good job lenny!!

DIS:-)

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:34 pm

The overload was not caused by too many visits, but too many 'requests'. One visitor (or machine) can make so many requests that the overload happens.
It can also be caused by an inefficient request. In this case, someone or something tried to request a lot of topics at the same time from the database, while he only actually needed to use three of them. So it took the server much longer to fulfill that request than was in fact necessary.
I hope you understand what I mean.

A server can have a bad disk too - it's not uncommon. The size of the disk doesn't matter, bad sectors can still occur on it. It's just hardware, and hardware can break.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:53 pm

u said that your host comp move the site to another server... a more stable one (hopefully).
i dunno Lenny... i think that if this doesn't work you may change again to another hosting comp. :?

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:15 pm

Yeah... that would be about the third move this year :?

If they hadn't written such a neat script for my webshop, I would have left already. But that script really helped me improve the loading speed of the webshop pages. They didn't have to write that, they did it for free.
Also, they actually listened when I urgently asked them to improve their communication.
So I'll just give them another chance :-)

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:45 pm

Also, they actually listened when I urgently asked them to improve their communication.
So I'll just give them another chance :-)
sounds good :-) ... lets hope the website + FORUM work properly for at least 5 months... without interruptions! :p

good job anywayz DIS:-)

Return to “Feedback & Announcements”