Feedback & Announcements > Suggestion...

Forum guidelines and announcements. Compliments, suggestions, bug reports, etc. for the webmaster.
Treacle
Honorary member

Suggestion...

Postby Treacle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:56 pm

You may have noticed my posting in Books under "World's Name Ironic"

The structure of the setting of AAiW made a lot more sense to me after I took the hint in AAUG and went through an unabridged dictionary for all the definitions connected to "marchioness" and the other connected words. As an American born in the 20th Century, how was I to know about marchionesses and Precedence and old English history? All I knew when I started looking at the words was that LC was fond of obsolete definitions of words.

Now I have an idea why the procession and the trial are as they are. I also feel like I know more about why the Red Queen is so savage, and why the Pool of Tears is described with the characteristics of a marsh, another bit of word play that suggests what is to come, it seems.

As you say on the opening page of your Alice website, it's a Victorian English book. I don't know why I waited so long to investigate "marchioness". (:-O I'm glad Lewis Carroll explained it somewhere!

It worked for me, it could work for somebody else. Maybe you might post that suggestion in the Info section, if it isn't already there that I missed, if you please.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Thank you for your suggestion!

It is quite hard to determine what to put on the site and what not. I decided not to add definitions of words you can look up in a dictionary, and also not a history of Victorian England. Then I'd have to add too much things that are not Alice related.

I'll see whether something of your suggestion can be worked into the site. Perhaps the Story Origins section.

Return to “Feedback & Announcements”