Miscellaneous Alice > Red Queen

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
redqueen

Red Queen

Postby redqueen » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:18 pm

I am to play the Red Queen in a scene from the Broadway play adapted from the books. I have read about her and realize how her character is (the governess, "all ways are my way," et cetera) but I was wondering if anyone had seen the play and could give me any tips on how to portray her. Thanks.

[edit by admin: moved your topic to the correct forum]

Hugh

Re: on how to play the Red Queen

Postby Hugh » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:16 pm

Lewis Carroll himself once wrote an essay (entitled "Alice on the Stage") in which he envisioned the Red Queen as a kind of "fury", but not a "blind and aimless" one like the Queen of Hearts. As he puts it, "passion must be cold and calm, she must be formal and strict, yet not unkindly, pendantic [that is lecturing] to the tenth degree, the concentrated essence of all governesses.". In other words, a formidable battle-ax. [To read more of the quote proper, check the character description in the topic index.] It is believed that he based the character on Miss Prickett, the real Alice's governess, and that Tenniel drew the Queen to more than physically resemble her, at least in the face. Hope this helps![/i]

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”