Miscellaneous Alice > Scary Alice in Wonderland

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
jennO03

Scary Alice in Wonderland

Postby jennO03 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:25 am

Does anyone know what the actual title to a book that is the "scary" version or the "messed up version" of Alice in Wonderland? It is a hardback covered book, with gold-edged pages, and an attached ribbon bookmark. A friend of a friend found it on 'Amazon.com' and I wanted to look for it. It is somewhat newer I guess and really different compared to the real version.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

DIS:-)

[edit by admin] I moved your topic to the misc. forum

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:01 pm

Looking-Glass Wars perhaps....I havn't read it so I wouldn't be 100% positive on this, but it's all I can think of.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Re: Scary Alice in Wonderland

Postby NeVaR aSk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:10 pm

Does anyone know what the actual title to a book that is the "scary" version or the "messed up version" of Alice in Wonderland? It is a hardback covered book, with gold-edged pages, and an attached ribbon bookmark. A friend of a friend found it on 'Amazon.com' and I wanted to look for it. It is somewhat newer I guess and really different compared to the real version.

Any ideas would be great! Thanks!

DIS:-)
as the Queen of Hearts said... it could be the "looking glass wars":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lookin ... ture_books

or maybe the sequel "Seeing Redd":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seeing_Redd

if not... put more details as author, publisher, color of the book etc etc... its easier to search for it that way ;)

Mock Turtle

Scary Alice in Wonderland

Postby Mock Turtle » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:50 am

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tauspace/further4.htm

Could you be referring to Alice Redux?

gilda

Postby gilda » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:07 am

hello there. i found this forum and website some months back and have been really fascinated. i've always loved alice in wonderland and recently watched the disney film again. got really inspired, and have been on this "rampage" finding out as many things as possible. i was inspired enough to start a clothing and accessory design collection based on alice and her friends. i love it. it was through this recent obsessioning about alice that i found out about this "sinister" version. has anyone read it before? i looked at those wiki sites but there isn't much info on it. would like to know if anyone has read it before and what they think about it. thank you!!

jerseybelle
Queen Alice

Postby jerseybelle » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:00 pm

The Looking Glass Wars, Seeing Redd, Alyss in Wonderland, and Hatter M are all creative makings of Frank Beddor (produced 'There's Something About Mary).

I've read them all and while they are supposed to be written for the 'younger set' and the composition justifies it, the brutality, blood & guts, and lack of compassion for the death of characters truly desensitizes the reader for the horrors yet to come. Alot more gore than I would want a 9 year old reading... But with what's out there now... ???? I'm probably over reacting.

As the books (LGW & SR) are part of a trilogy, I can't wait for the third edition (so much for abhorance of gore). Get the signed editions if you can... Beddor has been on tour with Seeing Redd recently. Once the movies hit the screen (there's big talk about that happening soon), their value will skyrocket. The hard cover Hatter M is a 'comic'... And the artwork by Australian illustrator Ben Templesmith is darkly appropriate. You should still be able to find the original Hatter M comic series.

If you can, add The Looking Glass Wars soundtrack to your collection... It will bring atmosphere to your reading pleasure.

Check out TLGW website: http://www.lookingglasswars.com/

poptart monster

Postby poptart monster » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:27 am

I've read them all and while they are supposed to be written for the 'younger set' and the composition justifies it, the brutality, blood & guts, and lack of compassion for the death of characters truly desensitizes the reader for the horrors yet to come. Alot more gore than I would want a 9 year old reading...
I agree. The skeleton part in Seeing Redd actually gave me nightmares one night. >.< But other than that, they're fantastic books.

ammitusen
Queen Alice

Postby ammitusen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 am

**sigh** there's something sad about turning Alice into a cynical gore fest. i guess i'm just too sentimental.

lolaitakagamine

What's the name of your store?????

Postby lolaitakagamine » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:23 pm

hello there. i found this forum and website some months back and have been really fascinated. i've always loved alice in wonderland and recently watched the disney film again. got really inspired, and have been on this "rampage" finding out as many things as possible. i was inspired enough to start a clothing and accessory design collection based on alice and her friends. i love it. it was through this recent obsessioning about alice that i found out about this "sinister" version. has anyone read it before? i looked at those wiki sites but there isn't much info on it. would like to know if anyone has read it before and what they think about it. thank you!!
Can you email me the name of your store?? DIS:-)

Never-Nevermore

Re: Scary Alice in Wonderland

Postby Never-Nevermore » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:23 am

Check out the post by Brandon on the Miscellaneous page on this site — subject: "Cool Video".

It's a fan video to a recent Alice in Wonderland book that's written all in rhyming verse. Rather haunting (both the book and the video) and a little eerie (just the video).

Thanks for the tip, Brandon — I love the book! ;-)

Smushy

Postby Smushy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:37 pm

**sigh** there's something sad about turning Alice into a cynical gore fest. i guess i'm just too sentimental.
the scary version was the original, the happy ones are remakes.

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”