Miscellaneous Alice > Alice Through The Needle's Eye

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Piecraft
Queen Alice

Alice Through The Needle's Eye

Postby Piecraft » Mon May 23, 2005 9:27 pm

I was wondering whether anyone else had read this book writ by Gilbert Adair, I have recently ordered it. I find it intriguing that Alice would continue her adventures without telling Mr. Carroll about it. But any which way I plan on observing this new entry, if anyone knows any details please add your correspondence here.

[edit by admin]I moved your topic to the misc. forum

jerseybelle
Queen Alice

Alice Through the Needles Eye

Postby jerseybelle » Wed May 25, 2005 9:11 pm

I've had this first edition in my collection since 1984 and am very embarrassed to say it is totally unread. Now that I know someone who will be reading it, I just might pick it up so we can compare notes.

From what I can gather, it seems Mr. Adair was saddened that Alice's Adventures were over and decided to take matters into his own hands. Judging by the 'popularity' of his endeavor, we are probably two of the very few aware of its existance... Oh... And Jenny Thorne, whose 22 delightful illustrations grace the book and jacket.

tweedledammed
Mad Hatter

Postby tweedledammed » Wed May 25, 2005 9:50 pm

There are a number of straight sequels to AiW and TTLG by other people and hundreds of not so straight sequels parodying, pastiching and plagiarising. You can check out reviews of a couple of them that I've written in the book review thread. (I wrote the reviews you undestand, not the books.)

The only straight sequel I've so far reviewed there is Alice's Journey Beyond the Moon by R.J. Carter.

Alice Through the Needle's Eye tries very hard to use Carroll's style and is in my view the most successful of all the attempts. The only real flaw is that the whimsy sometimes seems a bit mechanical, a bit Alice by Numbers if you like. That said it's an amusing enough read and very much in the style of the original books.

Alice's Journey Beyond the Moon you can read my review of.

Another one is The Automated Alice by Jeff Noon which is solidly written but for me completely lost the spirit of the thing - a disappointment as Noon is a very good writer. Others might like it better so don't let me put you off.

Anna M Richards "A New Alice In The Old Wonderland" would also have to be considered a straight sequel althoug a rather odd one that subverts rather than enhances the original stories. That one was written in 1895.

I could go on but most of the others in my collection fall into the Parodies, Pastiches and Plagiarisms categories with a handful of stories inspired by Alice.

Hope that helps.

jerseybelle
Queen Alice

Needles Eye

Postby jerseybelle » Wed May 25, 2005 11:22 pm

Ah... Thanks for pointing me to your reviews, TD. I'm new to this forum and am tyring to catch-up with the discussions.

Your book reviews are delightfully informative and thank you for not giving too much away. Which sequels are your favorites?

As I collect more by illustrator than by content, sequels have greater interest to me if the illustrations are other than Tenniel.

I truly enjoyed Alice's Journey Beyond the Moon. Lucy Wright's 'sketches' are charming... And Carter's annotations 'briefly Carrollian'. I found the punctuation sometimes confusing (especially commas) and had difficulty setting some scenes in my mind causing me to reread to envision. Maybe I was rushing... Or sleepy?

But... Carter certainly kept my interest, made me smile, and suspicious of crows. ;)

Piecraft
Queen Alice

Postby Piecraft » Thu May 26, 2005 12:04 am

Thank you Tweedledammed for your feedback, I shall take my time to look over the volumes you recommended upon.

I am willing to give anything once a try, or at least twice...

alicespiral

Alice through the Needles Eye

Postby alicespiral » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:29 pm

All the illustrations from this book are on one of my Yahoo sites.
Other good ones are Alice through the Pillar Box and Sherlock Holmes & the Alice In Wonderland Murders.
While other more unusual ones are the Alice in Bibleland series and Alice in Quantumland

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”