Miscellaneous Alice > Is there more to the story of Lewis Carroll?

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Leah.Liddell
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Is there more to the story of Lewis Carroll?

Postby Leah.Liddell » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:02 am

I am personally obsessed with the mystery of Lewis Carroll/Charles Dodgson's missing diaries. And I've wondered, does anyone know of any attempt to psychically get ahold of him? Or has anyone else had a personal experience of such?

Heh, I know it's a bit far-stretched sounding to some. DIS:-S But, I believe such is possible...maybe because I think I have AIW:-o ...I know.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:57 pm

what r u asking my friend DIS:-S ... i dun understand your point :?... what do you mean by "any attempt to psychically get ahold of him?"... psychically??.. uhm?? DIS:-S

TrinityLion
Lewis Carroll

Postby TrinityLion » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:38 pm

what r u asking my friend DIS:-S ... i dun understand your point :?... what do you mean by "any attempt to psychically get ahold of him?"... psychically??.. uhm?? DIS:-S
I think, like, talking to dead people.

Personally, I think that's freaky.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:16 pm

^ yah i thought bout dat too (though i wasn't sure)... personally i dun believe in those stuff... perhaps cause i never experience something like that.
imo, the best way to know of the missing diaries is to get ahold of the diaries (specially #4 since it has a reconstruction of the missing ones from 18 April 1858 - 8 May 1862) and get your own conclusions and share opinions with others.

jeje, not try and talk to a guy dead 110 yrs ago teehee :D ... i think he would not speak :p (but well everything is possible).

ait_meijin
Queen Alice

Postby ait_meijin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Me thinks there're way more chances to get some information from his family than from Carroll himself :-) . Btw, are there any living relatives of C.L.D? Nevarask, I believe you're better informed about that question. Could you please shed some light upon it? ;)

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:05 pm

indeed my friend :-)... but it all depends on the questions... if the answers can be found in LC letters or diaries the family will let you know with the same info in them... since most of it are written down in the diaries or letters. the most personal questions,sometimes, they answer (and mostly to well known scholars).

And yes... i know that there is a great grand niece (i'm not sure if there are more though) that is currently working on a book with Mr. Edward Wakeling (thats what he told me). also Jenny2Write visited her ... i don't remeber right now if it was this one or another relative.

oh btw... Philip Jaques Dodgson, LC great nephew and former senior trustee of C.L. Dodgson Estate, died on January 14 2003... same day as his uncle Dodgson!!... curiouser n curiouser isn't... (thnx to him the british Library had the 9 extant volumes of the diaries... he gave them in 1969)

ait_meijin
Queen Alice

Postby ait_meijin » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:19 pm

Wow, that's impressive. You're quite well informed indeed :O And that should be an interesting book to read.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:26 pm

^ teehee thank you my friend (:-O :-) *still blushing* ... i have done some research about most of Dodgson's stuff... and in the process you tummble with a lot of interesting things! ;)

yes... an interesting book to read cause i think it will have the most recent/updated info... though i don't know what will be the subjects (Dodgson's life/career... photographs... myhts... i dun no perhaps neither one or all of them jeje :D).

in due time i will let you know ;)

Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Postby Alyss » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:35 am

Regarding talking to dead people, I think the guys at TAPS who do the show Ghost Hunters have scientifically found enough evidence to support that "ghosts" exist.

Anyhoo, to the little kids on this site, I give warning:

DON'T PLAY WITH OUIJA BOARDS! (Pronounced Wee-Ja, NOT wee-jee) They are dangerous, and bring bad things... personal experiences have proved that for me.

I don't think Mr. Dodgson wants to talk to a bunch of little pre-teen girls at a slumber party, anyway.... go read Twilight and stay away from that stuff.

Lewis Carrie
White Knight

Postby Lewis Carrie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:35 pm

^ jeje, not try and talk to a guy dead 110 yrs ago teehee :D ... i think he would not speak :p (but well everything is possible).
I talk to Lewis Carroll all the time. I just try to imagine what he would say when I ask him a question.

Lewis Carrie
White Knight

Postby Lewis Carrie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:41 pm

[quote="ait_meijin"]. Btw, are there any living relatives of C.L.D? quote]

I am actually a distant cousin of Lewis Carroll. I do not know if that counts, though. I'm about his ninth cousin. I'm proud that I'm related to him, though! DIS:-) AIW:-)

Re: Is there more to the story of Lewis Carroll?

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:47 pm

. Btw, are there any living relatives of C.L.D? quote]

I am actually a distant cousin of Lewis Carroll. I do not know if that counts, though. I'm about his ninth cousin. I'm proud that I'm related to him, though! DIS:-) AIW:-)
Prove it.

Lewis Carrie
White Knight

Postby Lewis Carrie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Prove it.[/quote]

Certainly.

Three years ago, my class was studying Geneology and one of the projects that we had to do was trace our family tree. So, I went on Ancestry.com and traced back our family tree. While I was doing this, I found this page on there that finds famous people related to you, and one of the people on there was Queen Elizabeth II, and she was shown as a ninth cousin. So, that proved that I was related to British royalty. After doing some deeper research, I discovered that Edmund II, the Anglo- Saxon King of England who, after only ruling for seven months, and died in 1016, had a son named Edward, who married a woman named Agatha and had three children, Edgar, Christina, and Margaret. Margaret (who was later canonised as St. Margaret) married Malcolm Canmore, the Scottish king. Their daughter, Edith, married King Henry I of England, and because of this, all of the English monarchs since then are related to the Anglo- Saxon kings and queens. This means that all of the British monarchs are related to each other.

Now, Carroll comes into the picture. On an essay entitled "The Maternal Geneology of Lewis Carroll" courtesy of the website of the Lewis Carroll Society in the UK, it traced Lewis Carroll's family tree back to the ancient Skeffington family of Leicestershire. Through this family, Carroll could trace his ancestry all the way back to King Edward III of England, who was his sixteenth great- grandfather. Therefore, Carroll was a descendant of British royalty. Since I am also related to British royalty, therefore, me and Lewis Carroll are related.

The link to the article about Carroll's maternal geneology can be found be going to the links on this site, finding the one that says "The Lewis Carroll Society", clicking on it, going to the link that says "Charles Dodgson's Life", clicking on "The Dodgson Family" and having reached the page, scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on the link that says "Online article the Skeffington Family".

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 pm

Awesome!

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Certainly.

Three years ago, my class was studying Geneology and one of the projects that we had to do was trace our family tree. So, I went on Ancestry.com and traced back our family tree. While I was doing this, I found this page on there that finds famous people related to you, and one of the people on there was Queen Elizabeth II, and she was shown as a ninth cousin. So, that proved that I was related to British royalty. After doing some deeper research, I discovered that Edmund II, the Anglo- Saxon King of England who, after only ruling for seven months, and died in 1016, had a son named Edward, who married a woman named Agatha and had three children, Edgar, Christina, and Margaret. Margaret (who was later canonised as St. Margaret) married Malcolm Canmore, the Scottish king. Their daughter, Edith, married King Henry I of England, and because of this, all of the English monarchs since then are related to the Anglo- Saxon kings and queens. This means that all of the British monarchs are related to each other.

Now, Carroll comes into the picture. On an essay entitled "The Maternal Geneology of Lewis Carroll" courtesy of the website of the Lewis Carroll Society in the UK, it traced Lewis Carroll's family tree back to the ancient Skeffington family of Leicestershire. Through this family, Carroll could trace his ancestry all the way back to King Edward III of England, who was his sixteenth great- grandfather. Therefore, Carroll was a descendant of British royalty. Since I am also related to British royalty, therefore, me and Lewis Carroll are related.

The link to the article about Carroll's maternal geneology can be found be going to the links on this site, finding the one that says "The Lewis Carroll Society", clicking on it, going to the link that says "Charles Dodgson's Life", clicking on "The Dodgson Family" and having reached the page, scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on the link that says "Online article the Skeffington Family".
So, you are related to Carroll as a Danish muffin is to a Viking snack...

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”