Miscellaneous Alice > 'Return to Wonderland' Comic Series

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
wondersyndrome
White Knight

'Return to Wonderland' Comic Series

Postby wondersyndrome » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:36 pm

In 2007, Zenescope Entertainment, a comic book company started a series called Return to Wonderland. (A spin-off from their Grimm Fairy Tales series.)

Set in modern-day America, it follows the story of Alice Liddell - now a grown woman with a family - and her daughter Carroll Ann - Calie for short. (Note that ‘Calie’ is an anagram for ‘Alice.’) Alice is ‘mentally disturbed and in a dream-like state, her only link to reality is the disturbing white rabbit that she clings to.’ She also once tried to commit suicide by slitting her wrists. Calie, not wanting to deal with her mother's illness, ‘is now a substance-abusing, alcoholic, promiscuous party girl.’ Calie soon ventured into a darker and more frightening Wonderland than the one her mother knows and meets very dark, dangerous versions of the Wonderland folks.

A three-part prequel, Tales From Wonderland, as well as a sequel, Beyond Wonderland has also been published. The series is expected to return for a third time in the fall of 2009 with another sequel, Escape From Wonderland. Zenescope has also been 'in the works trying to get Return to Wonderland optioned as a major motion picture.'

More Information and cover art at the Zenescope website: http://www.zenescope.com/books.htm

So… any thoughts?

Do you agree with this story or do you hate the mere idea?
Last edited by wondersyndrome on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Postby Alyss » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:26 am

This is just my opinion.

It's really, really stupid. The storylines are okay...

The illustration is horrible. It reminds me of that "stripperella" show Pamela Anderson had on a long time ago. These are clearly targeted to adolescent-teenage boys.

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:37 am

The illustration is horrible. It reminds me of that "stripperella" show Pamela Anderson had on a long time ago. These are clearly targeted to adolescent-teenage boys.
Yes. It’s very ‘teenaged-boy-fantasy.’ I can agree with you there. Nothing like big-breasted girl in mini-skirts getting attacked by monsters, is there? DIS|-p

I actually like the art work - from an artistic point of view. I think the colour is very good. Apart from that, I don’t think it’s very appealing to anyone else. (Excluding silly fifteen-year-old lads.)

TrinityLion
Lewis Carroll

Postby TrinityLion » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:50 pm

HURR.

The storyline is yet another McGee's Alice rip-off, slightly altered.

Geez, why can't people be original nowadays?

And the big-breasted thing = S word for dung.

American McGee, it's safe to say that you are a genius. XD

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:12 pm

The storyline is yet another McGee's Alice rip-off, slightly altered.
The altered Caterpillar in the comic looks alot like the Centipede from the game - minus the German military uniform.

Coincidence? Not likely DIS>:-)

TrinityLion
Lewis Carroll

Postby TrinityLion » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:50 pm

The altered Caterpillar in the comic looks alot like the Centipede from the game - minus the German military uniform.

O RLY? Wow....their major lack of creativity is pathetically hilarious. XD

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:10 pm

O RLY? Wow....their major lack of creativity is pathetically hilarious. XD
Ha! Plagiarism. It knows no bounds… and very little else.

Judge for yourself. (In the top corner of the first cover.)
http://www.zenescope.com/bookpages/wonder06.htm

TrinityLion
Lewis Carroll

Postby TrinityLion » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Judge for yourself. (In the top corner of the first cover.)
http://www.zenescope.com/bookpages/wonder06.htm

EEEEWWW it's hideous! And you were right about the Centipedapillar.

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:39 pm

EEEEWWW it's hideous!
You should see what they did to the poor cat DIS:-/

4nonymous

Postby 4nonymous » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:27 pm

did sb. bought the comics?
if can you tell me if the story is interesting or its just pic of sexy alice with her sister
i would like to read a story abou a darker wondelrand because i thought of sth too ( like so many other people i think)
but i dont like americans mc gee because of the gameplay(watched a few gameplay szene and it looked shitty for me sry ><)

4nonymous

Postby 4nonymous » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:14 pm

bumb

i read all of the return to wonderland and tales from wonderland issues and i think its well writen

i dotn know much about americans mc gees alice but it hink the main story is about that alice life turned bad and so did wonderland and she shall fix it(tell em when im wrong)

return to wonderland is like nothing about that
ya its da darker wonderland but thats it

its very creative they turned wonderland in a kind of dimension and tell in tales from wonderland how a few charackters were "created"
i think many people on this forum will hate the comic beacuse theyre already annoyed of the disney movie and the comic changes alot but i dont want to spoil to much

i realy love the art its so well colored and has so much detail so it makes fun to "read" it contains much gore and fucked up things which some people wont like but it has pretty neat ideas so its worth a look

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:53 am

i dont like americans mc gee because of the gameplay(watched a few gameplay szene and it looked shitty for me sry ><)
The game was made back in 2000, and the technology of game design has change rapidly in the last decade alone. The gameplay itself is pretty good (this is coming from a girl who was 6 when the game came out) and the graphics - for that year in gaming - is pretty good too.

4nonymous

Postby 4nonymous » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:10 pm

i dont like americans mc gee because of the gameplay(watched a few gameplay szene and it looked shitty for me sry ><)
The game was made back in 2000, and the technology of game design has change rapidly in the last decade alone. The gameplay itself is pretty good (this is coming from a girl who was 6 when the game came out) and the graphics - for that year in gaming - is pretty good too.
i didnt want to say that the gameis bad but im not such a fan of early 3d games and im used to good graphics so i do bad to play an old game

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 am

Teenage-boy fantasy? Yeah maybe, but I'm a girl and I think these comics are super cool. The art is good also, although I think there maybe be different versions, because the ones I've seen don't look like the one shown on the zenescope site linked too in one of the previous replies. And as for the orgininality, what's original now-days? Look at Avatar: other than the concepts for some fo the animals, the plot is basically the same as Pocahontas and look how big that was. The highest grossing film ever!

So it may not be original, but if entertains people don't diss it. Even if you don't like it, maybe you're jsut not the type of person it ws aimed at.

You should see what they did to the poor cat DIS:-/
And the cat is awesome by the way.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Uh, I would just like to ask you all something.
If this comic featured a bare-chested Mad Hatter with a six-pack instead of a big-busted, mini-skirt wearing version of Alice, would there be the same sort of scornful reaction to this comic as there is now.
I do not approve of how the women in this comic are prtrayed by the way. I would just like to know.

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”