Miscellaneous Alice > Frank Beddor - The looking glass wars

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Onepiece34
Dormouse

Frank Beddor - The looking glass wars

Postby Onepiece34 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:37 pm

I'm curious. Has anybody actually read this guy's franchise of books? He seems to boast quite obnoxiously that the original Carroll books were 'fiction'. Yes, they were obviously, but Frank puts it forward so insultingly, as if HIS story is the real version and Carroll's was fake. I may be too prone to insults, but I was wondering if any Carroll fans had read the book and concluded that it was a homage to the original's story, characters, riddles and everything it stood for, or if it was a gross insult. To me, a wonderland book focusing on politics, wars and technological advancements, and a sub-plot about the Alice Lewis Carroll used to tell stories to being a Wonderland princess called 'Alyss' sounds pretentious beyond words.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Looking-Glass_Wars

Apparently, a movie is in the works too. Good lord, we have Burton making his gothic version, and now this. What is up with this sudden surge of interest in Alice?

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:38 pm

Try one of these if you want to discuss it ;) :

viewtopic.php?t=418

viewtopic.php?t=264

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:29 pm

Yes, welcome to the Forum. I think you'll find you're in the right place.

Onepiece34
Dormouse

Oops

Postby Onepiece34 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:53 pm

Sorry. I have been spoken for XD

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 pm

I too believe that Looking-Glass Wars is extremely pretentious and obnoxious. It is not very polite or in good taste to tear apart another author's work like that, even if said author is long dead.

KelseyJoy

Postby KelseyJoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:32 am

I read it years ago....like when I was 11 or 12. I remember I really liked it at that point but since then I've become much more of a Carroll-devotee and can't stand hardly anything that plays off the original books. I actually didn't mind the Burton movie because it wasn't trying to be the real deal it was just it's own thing. As far as I can remember the Looking Glass Wars is sort of it's own thing as well...though I wouldn't bet my life on it since as I said before it's been a while. AIW:-D

I should read it again and see what I think now...

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:53 am

Please see the links The Queen of Hearts posted and continue the discussions there. :-)

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”