Miscellaneous Alice > An unknown Tenniel's (?) illustration

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Alex_in_Wonderland
Mad Hatter

An unknown Tenniel's (?) illustration

Postby Alex_in_Wonderland » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:55 pm

Last night I watched Terry Gilliam's Tideland, because there are many allusions and references to Alice in this film.
At the beginning of the movie, when Jeliza Rose reads the Alice book, an unknown illustration is shown on the page of the book. And it seems a Tenniel's one.
I had never seen this picture before! What is it?? Can anyone tell me more about this illustration?
Here a screenshot of the movie.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/93/t ... ration.png
Last edited by Alex_in_Wonderland on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Interesting. Looking at it I don't see Tenniel's initals or the printers, unless that squiggly thing on the bottom left is something. Maybe it was done just for the movie. (Does anyone else think Alice's legs look a little short?)

EDIT: Take a look at the paragraph after the AAUG illustration and then scroll down until you get to the section "Back to Reality" where you see a pic from the movie: http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/49605/

Not a Tenniel after all. ;)
Last edited by The Queen of Hearts on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliceaficionado
Lewis Carroll

Postby aliceaficionado » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:21 pm

Yes, her legs do seem a little strange. And did you notice that she looks uncannily like Alice in the shower of cards? I do not think this is a Tenniel illustration. They took a picture, added an arm here, a leg there, and a background was created. Not at all.

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:34 pm

You know, when I first saw this film (which I incidentally LOVED by the way) I wondered the same thing!!! Because I'm a book geek I decided I really liked Jeliza-Rose's copy of AIW with the grubby cover and the olde-worldy typeface on the cover. But they don't make editions that pretty any more! (:-O

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:20 pm

I wonder why they went to so much trouble just to create a fake Tenniel illustration? Maybe it was just so that people WOULD notice it and have discussions about it. Curiouser and curiouser...

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”