Miscellaneous Alice > Alice in Wonderland inspired Super Mario Bros.

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Alice in Wonderland inspired Super Mario Bros.

Postby Alyss » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:12 am

I don't know if this has been posted about before, but I found it rather interesting.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18585_th ... hises.html

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:59 pm

O-kay...
I don't really know anything about videogames, so I can't really comment about the inspiration for Mario.
I don't think, though, that Lewis Carroll put any drug references in his book. He wasn't exactly the type of person to put allusions to grug-taking in a childrens' book.

Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Postby Alyss » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:09 pm

I think you may have missed the point.... The creator of Mario was inspired by AaiW/TtLG and put things in the game, such as th most famous of the game, eating the mushroom to grow big. I wasn't referring to the drugs. But, we also have to remember, people in mainstream media are going to be stupid and make the dumb drug references.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Don't worry, I got your point (I think) AIW:-) . I was just saying that I didn't believe that Carroll had put any drug references in his book.

I often miss the point of things, though, or cause misunderstandings. Maybe it is because I am secretly Loki, the Norse god of Mischief!

Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Postby Alyss » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:51 pm

Loki is a devilish little Norse God...

But, yeah, I was hoping everyone would disregard the drugs crap they wrote about, and read the part where the creator of Mario was inspired by Alice for things such as eating the mushroom, growing taller and smaller, and the scenery of the game.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Loki is a devilish little Norse God...
I wouldn't describe myself as devilish... I'm more of a Harlequin to be honest.
It is interesting that Mario was inspired by Alice. They're both so different. One is an annoying (to me, any way- I hate the music) and the other is a surreal nonsense book.
But I definitely can't see how drugs could have inspired either of them. I think the author of the article should stop being so silly about stuff like that. The're both intended for children, after all. Not everyone is a cynical, drug-crazed human being.

JohnJumper
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby JohnJumper » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:53 pm

I read an article where the developer of Mario said flat-out that he did not get the idea from Alice in Wonderland. It was just a coincidence.

I will have to look for that article.

John Jumper
DIS|-p
Last edited by JohnJumper on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnJumper
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby JohnJumper » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:04 pm

Here it is... This is an article that references the statement by the developer. The writer of this article is arguing that he did get the inspiration from Alice in Wonderland:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/ ... wonderland

Oh...here is the original interview with the developer:

http://us.wii.com/iwata_asks/nsmb/vol1_page4.jsp

John Jumper
DIS:-z

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”