Miscellaneous Alice > Seeking idea's for my Alice themed room?

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
KelseyJoy

Seeking idea's for my Alice themed room?

Postby KelseyJoy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:45 am

No, I'm not a child. I am in fact a young woman who is creating an Alice in Wonderland themed room for herself. But really you can never be to old for Alice right?? Right. Anyhow, I'm searching for decorating idea's regarding my new room. Here's what I've got so far:

I'm putting in classic 50's checkerboard flooring to look like a chessboard.

I'm painting/creating a tree mural on one wall and will be gluing silk leaves to the branches to make it come to life...I'll probably put Bread and Butterflies, Rockinghorseflies, and Snapdragonflies in the tree. :)

I'll be hanging cards from the ceiling with clear string.

Now what? What else can be done to make my room a real Wonderland? AIW:-)

Jess
Honorary member

Postby Jess » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:56 am

Mushroom-shaped seats?

Giant chess pieces so you can play chess on your floor. Character figurines would be even better, if such a thing exists (or if you made them yourself).

A big mirror.

A toy pig in a doll's cradle.

A table with a gold key and a vase of half-painted roses.

And of course... the Cheshire Cat up in your tree (which sounds spectacular, by the way) - with its grin painted in glow-in-the-dark paint!

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Here's a copy of a similar question I answered on another website:

Q: How do you make your room Alice in Wonderland themed - I have pink walls and white furniture. I'm able to buy items however I'm on a budget so I cannot be too OTT. I am 19 so my room must be mature?

A: Playing cards are a prominent theme (and affordable.) You could blu-tac cards to your walls and/or stick them to the top of your desk. Or you could draw and cut out larger versions of the emblems for the suits - hearts, spades etc - and stick those to the front of a chest of drawers.

A chess set would be an appropriate addition - you could get a cheap one and set it up, or Alice in Wonderland themed chess sets are also available.

Black and white checks are a motif you might be able to exploit as you have white furniture which you could paint black checks onto.

Mushrooms are an image people associate with Alice in Wonderland. You could paint some on card or paper, cut them out and stick them on your walls as though they are growing out of the floor.

The tea party is a memorable moment, so tea cups and tea pots would make good decorative items. You could keep bits and pieces in the cups or use a tea pot as a planter. Check thrift stores or charity shops for ceramic tea things. They frequently have cake stands which you could decorate with knitted or wooden cakes, or use to display jewellery or cosmetics.

Red roses are significant, so you could maybe buy a miniature rose pot plant, or buy items decorated with red roses.

You should have a bottle labelled 'drink me' somewhere. You could either buy a decorative bottle somewhere and label it, or visit a shop which sells dolls house furniture and/or crafts and buy a tiny little one.

If you find a good supplier of dolls house stuff you could even make a miniature scene of the tea party maybe, or perhaps the room in the White Rabbit's house where Alice gets trapped.

Any distortion of scale adds a Wonderland feel to a room, whether it's very tiny things, or very large things, so as well as miniature stuff try to find outsized objects. Giant chess sets are available, you can also get huge cups and saucers (which are supposed to be used as planters.)

Personally, I would try to get hold of some of those plastic garden flamingos that were so popular in the USA in the 1950s, but these are rather kitsch, so I think this is dependent on your sense of humour.

I'd also try to find a good white rabbit plushy or try the Disney Store for a character plushy, but I wouldn't have more than one of these as cuddly toys are really associated with younger people.

If you're a fan of the original books, then a hard boiled egg painted to look like Humpty Dumpty would sit well on the shelf of a bookcase.

Consider the prominent and most appealing images in whichever is your favourite version of the story and see if you can think of a way to reproduce them.

And have fun!

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:54 pm

You definitely can never be too old! (despite what others may try to tell you) Tea things! A teapot or coffee pot adds a more whimsy look, while still looking classy at the same time if you get the right type. A pocket watch, a "drink me" bottle (as Beautiful Soup suggested), a fan (I have some mounted on the wall), a pair of gloves, empty jar with "orange marmalade" label, a moon or sun wall hanging...can't think of anything else I have in my room without getting up. :p

aliceaficionado
Lewis Carroll

Postby aliceaficionado » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:35 pm

How about a desk with a raven?

KelseyJoy

Postby KelseyJoy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:14 am

I love everybody's idea's! Awesome thoughts. Can't wait to get started. DIS:-)

After I move in and complete my room I'll definitely post pictures! AIW:-)

Mad Hatter II
Queen Alice

Postby Mad Hatter II » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Maybe a celing murel that looks like you're looking up into the rabbit hole

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Give it a very Victorian, Gothic atmosphere! Put a looking glass just over your bed. Have a hat-stand, too, with loads of interesting top hats on it. Litter a few dolls around the room, too. Maybe a few rabbit dolls, and some harlequins and Punch and Judys and marionettes.
And clocks! You have to have clocks and watches and hourglasses...
...and teacups, teacups everywhere! And some thimbles, and a large jar of comfits, and a chessboard and a pair of scissors.

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:07 am

Put a looking glass just over your bed.
Probably not a good idea unless you're willing to risk it falling on you if it doesn't get securely attached or there's an earthquake.
Last edited by The Queen of Hearts on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Ah, but if the Looking Glass falls on you, you'll end up in Looking-Glass land...

moodyspectator13

My alice in wonderland kitchen

Postby moodyspectator13 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:59 pm

[/i]WOW! These are all WONDERFUL IDEAS!My husband and I are TRYINGto decorate our kitchen as alice in wonderland and all your ideas have helped and its only fair i share some of ours.....our kitchen cabinets will be individual cards, our drawer and cabinet handles are going to be caterpillars and im looking for the "perfect" looking glass to hang in there, of course our floor is gonna be black and white checkered(it has to be lol), oh i wanted to say i definetlyloved the idea of looking up the rabbit hole! BIG THANK YOU~!! AIW:-.

KelseyJoy
Caterpillar

Postby KelseyJoy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Hey check out the AIW section of this girls shop! It's awesome, I'm getting the circus style drink me tags and the AIW quote tags...I'm thinking I'll hang the quote tags either on the wall or from the ceiling where I'm hanging playing cards.

Anyways...just thought I'd share this find! AIW:-)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/craftypagan?section_id=6941700

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Hey Kelsey, I was wondering which room you're decorating? I assumed you were doing a bedroom, but it's just struck me you might be doing a kitchen or some such...

KelseyJoy
Caterpillar

Postby KelseyJoy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:16 am

It's my bedroom. AIW:-)
I'll be dreaming and dozing in looking glass land soon enough! I have a couple of paint touch ups to do and then I can move my furniture in....then the fun starts! I have lots of idea's thanks to everybody on here. It's going to be wonder(land)ful! Haha

Nickanap
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Postby Nickanap » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Have your nightstand covered in different colors, types and styles of tea cups and kettles.

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”