Miscellaneous Alice > "Curious Alice" Educational Film

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
3rdpoliceman

"Curious Alice" Educational Film

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:48 pm

I read about this educational film in The Annotated Alice, and saw a bit of it on Youtube. Basically, it is all about how drugs are bad. A lot of the Wonderland characters are portrayed as drug addicts, and it is altogether very weird. The film itself is very 'trippy', and it seems to be endorsing drugs rather than trying to prevent people from taking them.
I don't think kids would understand it very well, especially as they are likely to copy what they see their favourite fictional characters doing, as opposed to the opposite. And it seems to suggest that Alice in Wonderland is all about drugs.
How are children supposed to understand or learn from any of that?

Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Postby Alyss » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:35 am

Depends on what era it was made..... in the old days of when 4 out of 5 doctors smoked Marlboro's and pregnant moms sipped martinis together. People were ignorant back then, and I'm not saying that as they were bad people. They just did not know.

If it was made anytime soon, like, let's say.... the 80's or up, then we have a problem....

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm

It was made in the '70s, I think (am too lazy to check my book). It was weird (in a bad way). It was trying to say that drugs were bad, but it came across the complete opposite.

Here's a bit of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAD1sVv6jZw.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:16 am

Yep, I'm sold - drugs are clearly FANTASTIC!

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”