Miscellaneous Alice > Lewis Carroll and J M Barrie...Did they meet ?

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Mrwed
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Lewis Carroll and J M Barrie...Did they meet ?

Postby Mrwed » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:07 pm

I'm doing a paper about Carroll & Barrie. I cannot find any reference to a meeting between them though it was entirely possible. Does anyone have any info or referral :?

[edit by webmaster] This is Carrollian enough to fit into the Misc. Alice subforum, so I moved your topic

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:19 pm

No, they never met. I've read carroll's biography and there's no mention of Barrie. He did know George MacDonald, though.
I think, that when Alice Liddell visited New York, she may have met one of the children who inspired Barrie. I amn't positive.

Interesting fact no. 42: Many people think that Barrie invented the name Wendy. In, fact, he just popularised it.

Mrwed

Carroll & Barrie

Postby Mrwed » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Yes, I too have read a couple of Carroll & Barrie bios and have found no reference in any. I don't know if the "non-meetings" were on purpose or due to some enmity. Barrie was 38 when Carroll died so there would have been ample opportunity. Barrie hung with many literary characters. Lewis Carroll may have been too "adult averse." :? Still

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:48 pm

I doubt they were enemies. I don't think they even knew that much about each other.
I never actually read Peter Pan. I still amn't that interested in it, which is odd as I'm fascinated by Juvenelia. When I was younger I saw it as a kind of horror story for children.
(There's actually an interesting novel to do with Peter Pan. It's called Kensington Gardens, and I hope to start reading it shortly).

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm

It was on her visit to America that she met Peter Llewelyn-Davies, one of the brothers who inspired J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:21 pm

I am a good bit through Kensington Gardens now. It is weird that, despite my dislike of Peter Pan and love of Alice Liddell, I actually have more in common with Barrie than with Carroll! Read the book, it is beautiful!
Anyway, from what I've read, I don't think Barrie would have been comfortable around Carroll. Poor Barrie was very short and lucky Lewis Carroll was a bit tall.
And thanks, Mr. Guest, for informing me on who Alice met during her visit to America!

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:21 pm

It is weird that, despite my dislike of Peter Pan and love of Alice Liddell, I actually have more in common with Barrie than with Carroll!

I hope you don't mean that you are a member of NAMBLA rather than the Lolita Club????????

...just kidding....

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:41 pm

It is weird that, despite my dislike of Peter Pan and love of Alice Liddell, I actually have more in common with Barrie than with Carroll!

I hope you don't mean that you are a member of NAMBLA rather than the Lolita Club????????

...just kidding....
I have no idea what you just said :? And by Lolita are you referring to Nabokov's book or to the fashion subculture?

Mrwed

Carroll and Barrie

Postby Mrwed » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 pm

To anonymous guest, First of you should sign up for this forum. It is rather good and the members are usually quite knowledgeable. Second, I do hope you were "kidding" in your references. It is obvious that both the Rev. Dodgson and Sir James were solitary and somewhat lonely men whose comfort with children has given the world some wonderful literature.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:27 pm

What the hell is NAMBLA and what the blood is the Lolita Club? Don't leave me in the darkness of the Abyss...

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:49 pm

What the hell is NAMBLA and what the blood is the Lolita Club? Don't leave me in the darkness of the Abyss...
Google is your friend...

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 pm

...Google is now my enemy...

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Hey! I've found another obscure link between Carroll and Barrie!
Barrie was friends with the Llewwlyn-Davies boys, right? (I spelt their name wrong, didn't I?) Well, Sylvia, their mother, designed clothes for an actress named Ellen Terry, a good friend of Carroll's! And Barrie also wrote a play that she starred in.

Mrwed

Carroll and Barrie

Postby Mrwed » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks 3rdCop. That's another little link that makes me think maybe the two men did meet.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:29 pm

Well, from all these biographies and stuff I've read, it seems that a lot of people in Victorians in those times were connected. And, weirdest of all, did you know that Carrol knew a woman named Alice Cooper?

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”