Miscellaneous Alice > Flying on the Wings of Steam

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
AM's Alice soundtrack q.

Flying on the Wings of Steam

Postby AM's Alice soundtrack q. » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:41 am

Hey there,

I just had a quick little question about the song on the McGee's Alice soundtrack, Flying on the Wings of Steam. I've never played the game (and don't particularly wish to) but I was wondering why it would be called that. Is it metaphorical? Please let me know!

Thanks a lot,

~A curious guest AIW:-)

Peppertarts
Queen Alice

Postby Peppertarts » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Well, I'm not exactly sure at what point it features in the game, but in certain levels, when Alice has to jump a particularly big gap, there will be some steam rising up from it, and if she jumps into it then it carries her across. That's the only way I can think of it being in reference to anything in the game.

There is an example of it here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYAm5mfr50

Skip to 4:06 if you want to see it straight away. :-)
Last edited by Peppertarts on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:56 am

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks a lot! DIS:-)

Peppertarts
Queen Alice

Postby Peppertarts » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm

You're welcome. :-)

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:22 pm

I read somewhere that American McGee's Alice had some Steampunk elements in it (Steampunk is a speculative fiction subgenre, a derivative of the cyberpunk subgenre. It usually features steam-powered machinery and lots of Victoriana).

Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Postby Alyss » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:05 am

I remember, when playing it, it's been years, you would jump above a thing of steam rising up and her dress would puff up and float her farther than her jumping could take her.

It's funny, because that's my favorite song from the whole soundtrack. So is the remix. Thank you for reminding me of good times. :)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:26 am

Haha well you're very welcome, Alyss C: Oh, and out of curiosity, do either of you know what the song is in the trailer--the music box one? (If this needs to be moved or whatever because of this question mods, I understand :D )

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:30 am

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Shoot, my computer's filter blocks youtube so I can't tell if either of those is the song. Oh well, I'll check them out later. :-) Thank you.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Ah, well, those melodies weren't from American McGee's, they were from Pandora Hearts, a manga/anime series heavily based on AiW. Like McGee's, it can get very dark, and is a bit of a blodbath.
Anyway, I have listened to some McGee's songs on youtube and I think that the one you're looking for is called 'I'm not Edible'.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 pm

Yeah, I'm not planning to play the AiW game anytime soon (read about it once or twice and ended up with nightmares for a very long time :?), I just wondered about the songs. Thanks for going to all that trouble for me :-)

Oh, and thanks for giving me the definition of steampunk--I always wondered what that meant hahaha. :D

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 pm

No trouble at all. AIW:-)
And if you need any more genre definitions, don't hesitate to ask.
I haven't played the game either (not a big horror fan), but the soundtrack is good. I occasionally listen to 'Time to Die' which is really atmospheric and creepy and also has a sort of music-box theme.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Okay, I'll have to remember that. Thank you again. AIW:-)
Yeah I mean, I've listened to samples from the soundtrack, and the only one I truly cared for was 'A Happy Ending' :p

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm glad the game does have a happy ending. It would be very un-Carrollian not to.

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Yeah, every story should have a happy ending (I'm a romantic haha) so I'm glad Alice's does. From what I heard about the game, I think she went through more than enough to deserve one. :-)

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”