Miscellaneous Alice > Sequal to McGee's Alice - "Madness Returns"

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
wondersyndrome
White Knight

Sequal to McGee's Alice - "Madness Returns"

Postby wondersyndrome » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:43 pm

After over a decade, the sequal to American McGee's Alice is finally seeing the light of day.

From what I'm getting off interviews and previews, Alice: Madness Returns is set eleven years after the first game, and the story shifts from Wonderland to Victorian London throughout as Alice tries to work out what happened the night her family died, and still tries to come to terms with their deaths.
The game is set to be realised in late 2011 for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, and is an action-platformer with puzzle elements, just like the original. Two teasers (trailers without in-game footage) have been realised, with a third yet to be seen: "Haunting Wonderland" teaser and "Fiery Tentacles" teaser.

Here are some gameplay screenshots:

Last edited by wondersyndrome on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Those pictures are quite beutiful. I hope McGee is doing this sequel for art's sake, rather than to cash in on the original's success.

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:03 pm

...I hope McGee is doing this sequel for art's sake, rather than to cash in on the original's success.
If he planned on doing that, McGee would have realised a crappy sequal years ago.

In interviews, he has talked quite a bit about how Spicy Horse really thought about the style of the game, in terms of graphics and gameplay. You can see from the concept art that they are trying hard to make a good game.
Last edited by wondersyndrome on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Hatter II
Queen Alice

Postby Mad Hatter II » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:13 pm

PrairieStorm
Caterpillar

Postby PrairieStorm » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:36 am

Yes,what about it?

Mad Hatter II
Queen Alice

Postby Mad Hatter II » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:10 am

It looks familiar, don't it? AIW:-)

PrairieStorm
Caterpillar

Postby PrairieStorm » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:27 am

I don't understand on what the link is trying to show us.

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:58 am

I don't understand on what the link is trying to show us.
The "rock" that is circled looks like it's a screaming person, legs apart and hands behind it's head, just like the Tweedle in the other picture.

It's possible Spicy Horse have merged refences like that into the landscape throughout the game, or it could have just happened...
Last edited by wondersyndrome on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:15 pm

What I'm curious about, though, is what's actually going to be in the game. After all, weren't all the characters from both books used in the first one? Or will Wonderland and our world get entangled as Alice once again descends into madness?

wondersyndrome
White Knight

Postby wondersyndrome » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:25 pm

What I'm curious about, though, is what's actually going to be in the game. After all, weren't all the characters from both books used in the first one? Or will Wonderland and our world get entangled as Alice once again descends into madness?
At the end of the first game, it shows the Wonderland folk alive and well once again, so many, if not all of them are sure to return. And there are a few characters from the books that didn't appear in the game (The White Knight, for example).

As for character to appear in London, I'm sure they will be "original characters" that echo those who live in Wonderland, just like what happened in the first Alice (if you ever read the booklet that came with the game.)

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:38 pm

The White Knight just HAS to make an appearance, then.
AIW:-)

Peppertarts
Queen Alice

Postby Peppertarts » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 pm

I get more and more excited with every trailer that comes out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZHFQ_oTXM4&NR=1

:)

Grimley Fieendish
Mad Hatter

Re: Sequal to McGee's Alice - "Madness Returns"

Postby Grimley Fieendish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:19 am

The game is set to be realised in late 2011 for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, and is an action-platformer with puzzle elements, just like the original. Two teasers (trailers without in-game footage) have been realised, with a third yet to be seen: "Haunting Wonderland" teaser and "Fiery Tentacles" teaser.

Here are some gameplay screenshots:

Why do I get the unsettling feeling that all the gameplay screenshots shown above, are intended for/are from (delete as applicable) the PC / X-Box 360 version, of the game, & not the PS3 version...?

kholinar
Caterpillar

Re: Sequal to McGee's Alice - "Madness Returns"

Postby kholinar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Why do I get the unsettling feeling that all the gameplay screenshots shown above, are intended for/are from (delete as applicable) the PC / X-Box 360 version, of the game, & not the PS3 version...?
I'd hope it wouldn't be a problem. They're using the Unreal 3 engine, so things should adjust appropriately.

But, yeah, ports can be disappointing...

Alyss
Lewis Carroll

Postby Alyss » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 am

I'm playing it exactly as I did the first one, on my computer.

I still have the PC Gamer magazine from 2000 where they Debut the first game. :)

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”