Miscellaneous Alice > An Alice-themed Game

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
3rdpoliceman

An Alice-themed Game

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:38 pm

This game needs a good few people and chairs. Basically, you all sit around in a circle and someone goes around, telling what suit of cards you belong to (hearts, clubs, spades or diamonds). Then, the same person randomly calls out one of those suits. If you belong to the one he or she calls out, then you have to move forward one seat. The thing is, since someone else will be occupying that seat, you'll have to sit on top of him of him/her.
Suits are randomly called out, until someone finally gets back to their original seat.
This game can lead to some pile-ups, though, so be warned. It is also a bit embarassing and awkward at times. It was played at this club I go to, as an ice-breaker. It was only until later that I realised it was similar to Alice in Wonderland, as:
1)It had a playing card theme
2)It reminded me of the mad tea-party

I probably didn't explain the rules very well, but nobody's perfect. Play it at a Christmas party!

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:08 pm

How do you get up if someone's sitting on you?

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:22 pm

How do you get up if someone's sitting on you?
You cannot get up, you have to wait until they move off you.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Sounds fun!

It reminds me a bit of another game which I thought could be adapted into an Alice game, called 'Apostles'

It's also rather difficult to describe, but I'll have a go...

You all sit round a table (or I suppose you could do it in chairs in a circle) and, starting at the head, are assigned the names of the apostles viz Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Then any remaining people are assigned numbers; one, two, three etc.

Then, Matthew starts and calls out "Matthew to two" (or anyone else at the table) and two has to call out "two to Luke" (or whoever.)

The game carries on in this fashion until someone hesitates or makes a mistake, whereupon that person has to move down to the last seat. Everyone who was behind them then moves up one place. And EVERYONE WHO MOVES THEN TAKES ON THE NAME OR NUMBER OF THEIR NEW PLACE and the game starts again.

It's pretty tricky and quite good fun - and I think you could play it as 'Tea Party' or somesuch and, instead of the apostles, be Alice, March Hare, Dormouse and Hatter (and then the numbers.)

However, the chances of me ever having the opportunity to try it out are quite slim...

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 pm

Play it with yourself!

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:04 am

Matthew to Matthew, Matthew to Matthew, Matthew to Matthew, Matthew to Matthew, Matthew to Matthew, Matthew to Matthew, Matthew to Matthew, Matthew to Matthew...

...hmmm, not terribly challenging - and if I do go wrong, that means I would have to be Matthew.

3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Clone yourself! Hey wait a minute, I'm Catholic, why am I telling you to do something immoral?

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”