Miscellaneous Alice > The Hatter and Alice

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Riverleaf Breeze
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

The Hatter and Alice

Postby Riverleaf Breeze » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:28 pm

I have been wondering about this. What is the relationship between The Hatter and Alice. They do seem close.

Mad Hatter II
Queen Alice

Postby Mad Hatter II » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:36 pm

I see it like a sort of a close uncle relationship

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:21 pm

Ah don't worry, they're just friends with benefits.

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:10 pm

It really depends on if you're refering to book or movie. In the book there really isn't any more relationship between them than Alice has with any of others she encounters. In the movie versions it's up to the director or writers.

cassidy grierson

Mad Hatter

Postby cassidy grierson » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:38 pm

I agree. It depends upon the book or the movie.
But I think that they are like *friends*. I mean, they know little about and want to know about each other. I also think that they would be a good team(with an little jealousy from the March Hare) DIS:-S

snakes&ladders
Lewis Carroll

Postby snakes&ladders » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:42 pm

AIW:-. DIS>:-(
Nifty thread:)

A Crispy Hare
Dormouse

Postby A Crispy Hare » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Personally, I don't like to think of the Mad Hatter and Alice as a couple, but it depends on what version you're watching.

In some of the more recent forms of media involving Alice, the Hatter and Alice can be considered a couple. In 2009 Syfy's Alice, they are dating (though I haven't even seen it, truth be told). It's debatable in Burton's version, as they were supposed to have a kissing scene in the original script, but it was changed so that they have a bro/sis relationship rather than a romantic relationship in thee final cut. Some argue that there is still chemistry between the two in final cut, though.

In the book, the Hatter and Alice hate each other. Hatter is constantly making rude remarks at Alice, eventually causing her to leave. After she leaves, he seemingly forgets about her.

In American McGee's Alice and it's sequel, it seems like Alice and the Hatter used to be friends when Wonderland was still whole, but when Alice went insane, causing Wonderland to fall into ruin, the Hatter turns evil, turning the two into enemies. In the sequel, they are forced to become allies.

Then there are the movie versions that are supposed to follow the book. In most of these, the Hatter is usually made to be funnier and more enjoyable to the audience. In the Disney version, he's kinder and actually acts interested in helping Alice, but he's still mad enough to drive her out of the party. In the Hallmark version, he's crazier and, to some people, made funnier. He's as rude to Alice as he was in the book, though unlike in the book, Alice actually seems to be enjoying the tea party at some points, like during his song. In the trial scene, she even tries to help him and defend him. In any of these versions, I'd say the closest Alice and the Hatter are are as a girl would be with her uncle.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 pm

In the book, the Hatter and Alice hate each other. Hatter is constantly making rude remarks at Alice, eventually causing her to leave. After she leaves, he seemingly forgets about her.
I wouldn't say that they hate each other in the book. The Hatter certainly annoys Alice, causing her to storm off, but she does look back, hoping they'll call her back, so she can't have hated him / the tea party that much. Plus she was getting on with them quite well for most of the party amd seemed to enjoy, or at least be interested in the conversation.

For his part, the Hatter doesn't seem to care one way or the other - certainly no sign of any hate.

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 pm

In 2009 Syfy's Alice, they are dating (though I haven't even seen it, truth be told).
A love interest develops, but they aren't dating. It actually begins in the modern world with Alice dating the Queen of Hearts son, not Hatter.

A Crispy Hare
Dormouse

Postby A Crispy Hare » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 pm

In 2009 Syfy's Alice, they are dating (though I haven't even seen it, truth be told).
A love interest develops, but they aren't dating. It actually begins in the modern world with Alice dating the Queen of Hearts son, not Hatter.
Ah, I see. Thanks for correcting that. I never actually saw that show, I just heard about it.

Melinda Pancoaster

LOL SOS :)

Postby Melinda Pancoaster » Tue May 08, 2012 2:30 pm

OH REALLY! That's not what I had in Mind,But I do agree W/Crispy Hare on that point in time DIS:-)

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”