Miscellaneous Alice > Need help proving Carroll isn't Jack the Ripper

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Countess D
Queen Alice

Need help proving Carroll isn't Jack the Ripper

Postby Countess D » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:45 pm

Last edited by Countess D on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:03 pm

Why not let HER prove that he WAS the Ripper? A man is not guilty until the contrary has been proven... AIW:-.

Anyway, the Ripper theory is from Richard Wallace, who wrote the book "Jack the Ripper: Light-hearted Friend". Did your teacher read this, or is it 'hear say' again? If so, tell her to read the book. She'll notice that the 'evidence' is mainly based on anagrams. Wallace looked closely at words in the Alice books, messed up the letters and found in it proof that Carroll meant bad things. Or something the like.
I actually never bothered to read it.

Piecraft
Queen Alice

Postby Piecraft » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:43 am

It is impossible for Carroll to have been the Ripper, this has already been proven from diary entires and records which state his exact location at the time of the murders - he clearly had nothing to do with the murders. Also Carroll was not a psychopathic, meticulate killer nor did he have any surgical experience to have committed the degree of mutilation of which Jack the Ripper did.

check: http://lewiscarrollsociety.org.uk/pages ... /life.html for yourself and look under 1888 - he was in Christ Church and was curator of the time that Jack the Ripper committed his murders, unless of course he jumped through a magical looking-glass contraption to be in two places at the same time. AIW:-D

Tell your ceramic teacher to stop staring into the clay as it swirls, because it's making them go dizzy!

prohias
Dormouse

Re: Need help proving Carroll isn't Jack the Ripper

Postby prohias » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:46 am

I'm really horrible at proving things, even though I know it's right.
Well:
- He was a catholic, who was so intensely religious that he wanted to become a dean, and urged Tenniel not to illustrate on Sundays.
- He was very shy around adults (how do you think he would feel around prostitues?)
- And like Piecraft said, he was at the Christ Church at the time of Jack the Ripper

BTW, does anyone know how the Jack the Ripper rumours started? DIS|-p It's annoying how anyone will believe anything.

Piecraft
Queen Alice

Postby Piecraft » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:29 am

They've been attaching Jack the Ripper to every Tom, Dick and Harry of the time. The hilarious thing is the only people who knew who Jack the Ripper were the same bastards who orchestrated the entire media-circus of the time. The truth as to who he or they were has been lost within the entire mess that is our history. Even if we found the answer written squarely on an A4 piece of paper it would still be debunked or analysed for ages seeing as no one will ever be sure - that's why the people or the person who was behind the entire thing was not merely a serial killer or murderer but an intellectual puppet-master.

As far as I know I have heard them trying to tie-in other authors as well, only realising that it was preposterous, they tried to tie in Robert Louis Stevenson at one stage because of his book Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde which was inspired by the case of Jack the Ripper bt had nothing in relation to it otherwise. The Freemasons of the time and those who were members of the Golen Dawn also became prime targets for today's internet-gumshoes.

What truly frusterates me is that people are stupid enough to believe anything nowadays, especially without even reasonably doubt or prodivded that there is any aspect of evidence. This is why our gene pool is going down the drain...

Cheshire Cat Smile

Postby Cheshire Cat Smile » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:11 am

From what I've heard, at one point, Jack was seen sporting the royal family crest (is that the word? Crest?) on a shirt. So, from what I know about Carroll, there's no way he could get his hands on that. :|

Countess D
Queen Alice

Postby Countess D » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:28 pm

Last edited by Countess D on Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piecraft
Queen Alice

Postby Piecraft » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:33 pm

Oh they're always blaming royalty for everything...

Prince Charles conspired with the Queen to have Diana and Dodi killed!
Prince Harry or William are the antichrist!
George Bush is a Reptilian-Nazi alien bent on creating an N.W.O.
need I say more?

The common man have a problem with people in authority or of a superior class to themselves, this is why there will always be a biased opinion on world leaders or rulers and they always get targeted for everything.

Cheshire Cat Smile

Postby Cheshire Cat Smile » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:32 pm

Jack could have gotten that crest(?) somehow to make it look like it was someone from the royal family.

DIS:-) Cheshire's Random Useless Fact of the Day: There are 1,750 little pasta O's in every can of spaggettios.

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:22 pm

I read the book-I ordered it from Canada and thought it was going to be a sort of parody,
I found it to be quite boring and it took me a month to plough through it.
Its just an aspect of a sex crazed author who uses language I'm sure never existed in Victorian England but exists today in any pub or football ground.

thefamilycat
Mad Hatter

Postby thefamilycat » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:09 pm

Yes I too thought the book would have been comedy but its not its plain nasty.
The most amazing thing about it is the foreword by Colin Wilson who is one of this country's leading experts on Murder and has written many books.
The anagrams Wallace creates are actually doctored to fit his wacky theories,in other words an odd letter here and there is either missed out or a different one entirely.
So the credibility of this book is about Zero.
There's more proof that George Bush is a Reptile

Dear_Dot_Darling
Dormouse

Postby Dear_Dot_Darling » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:25 pm

Gotta love a good conspiracy, though. I have it on "reliable sources" that Prince Phillip is the one who ordered Diana killed and that it was actually Queen Victoria's son (i THINK i got that right) who was Jack the Ripper. AIW:-)

taking the blade

Postby taking the blade » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:20 pm

George Bush is a Reptilian-Nazi alien bent on creating an N.W.O.
need I say more?.
But eez tru!!1oneone

Also, why'd you edit out 'dick'? Dick is just a nickname for Richard when used in that phrase.

Anyway, your art teacher is a real piece of work! Like everyone else has been saying: there's only one person in the world who decided that Carroll was the Ripper, and that's the man who wrote the book everyone has been referring to. His evidence in the book is laughable because:
1) he changes/adds/subtracts letters to make anagrams that he wants
2) Carroll wasn't in the right place at the right time (simple facts)
3) the author uses words in the anagrams that certainly weren't in use in Victorian England.

Like someone else said, definitely tell herto prove to YOU that he WAS the Ripper. She definitely won't be able to do it. >:)

takingtheblade
Mad Hatter

Postby takingtheblade » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:22 pm

haha nooow I see why it was edited XP DIS:-/

Fane
Queen Alice

Postby Fane » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:53 pm

He was very shy around adults (how do you think he would feel around prostitues?)
Not entirely true. Carroll was a quite a socialite actually, he was just a secretive man about his personal business. Although I have to agree he would probably feel out of place around prostitutes.

Anyway, this Jack the Ripper idea is too prepostorous, the first time I heard about it, I laughed. Kind Mr. Dodgson? A murderer? The idea is so pitiful that it's laughable
The author's claims and arguments are largely unfound, incorrect, and sometimes just plain lies, as many shown before me.
Last edited by Fane on Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”