Miscellaneous Alice > Carroll's Diaries?

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
CaffeinatedBovinae
Caterpillar

Carroll's Diaries?

Postby CaffeinatedBovinae » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Does anyone know where I can read copies of his diaries? I saw that the Lewis Carroll Society was selling them and that there were copies being sold on Amazon. But, I'm a bit hesitant of buying from foreign countries and the prices on Amazon were extremely high.
I was hoping someone knew of a website where I could read them. Or maybe even a site that is selling them for a cheaper price.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Maybe a library?

AlexLowry
Caterpillar

Postby AlexLowry » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm sorry, I just wanted to check if I can post something, my last post turned blank without reason...

EDIT:

Okay, apparently I can post something now ^^, well: I've found a summary of those diaries on the Lewis Carroll society website. But I understood you were interested in the whole texts, so mabye it's not relevant.
However, if you have the patience to read Lewis Carroll's scrapbook, I think it could be a very interesting piece of information.

Sadly, the only way to have access to the diaries themselves is to buy them. I haven't seen anything relevant online.

CaffeinatedBovinae
Caterpillar

Postby CaffeinatedBovinae » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:04 am

Maybe a library?
I checked my county's library system and couldn't find anything. AIW:-|

CaffeinatedBovinae
Caterpillar

Postby CaffeinatedBovinae » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:11 am

I'm sorry, I just wanted to check if I can post something, my last post turned blank without reason...

EDIT:

Okay, apparently I can post something now ^^, well: I've found a summary of those diaries on the Lewis Carroll society website. But I understood you were interested in the whole texts, so mabye it's not relevant.
However, if you have the patience to read Lewis Carroll's scrapbook, I think it could be a very interesting piece of information.

Sadly, the only way to have access to the diaries themselves is to buy them. I haven't seen anything relevant online.
Oh, I didn't even know about the scrapbook. It does look interesting. I just added it to my favorites and will definitely read it later. Thanks for mentioning that. AIW:-)
Yes, I was hoping for the full texts. I do intend to buy them eventually,, but I wanted to find them online so I could read them sometime soon. I'll have to keep my eye out for cheap copies.

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:40 am

While of course it's not the the whole thing, the Norton annotated edition of AAIW has some short entries in the appendix. However, they really only pertain to the creation of the book.

CaffeinatedBovinae
Caterpillar

Postby CaffeinatedBovinae » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:14 am

While of course it's not the the whole thing, the Norton annotated edition of AAIW has some short entries in the appendix. However, they really only pertain to the creation of the book.
Sweet, I'm hoping to get that book soon. Even a few short entries are better than nothing.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 pm

The complete diaries of LC, not inc. the missing ones, was published in the 90's by the LCSGB...

Lewis Carroll's Diaries
Volume 10: The complete index to all 9 volumes with corrections and additional notes. Accompanied by a reconstruction of the first two missing volumes.
This 360+ page index affords greater access to the nine volumes through its comprehensive listing of all names, places, play, art works, books referred to in the diaries and its detailed group headings such as mathematics, Christ Church, towns, family names, etc.
Published by The Lewis Carroll Society, 2007
ISBN-10: 0904117340
ISBN-13: 9780904117349
Hardback with dustjacket, 502 pages

That is one vol. out of 10//complete set is over 300 pounds, so dig deep!!!

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:03 am

Thank you guest, that's really interesting, I had no idea such a collection existed

For those wishing to track it down (but short of the 300 simoleans needed to buy it) this is its entry on WorldCat, which shows where books and resources are available in libraries across the globe

http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=world ... q=dt%3Abks

CaffeinatedBovinae
Caterpillar

Postby CaffeinatedBovinae » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:33 pm

Oh thank you so much Guest! This information was really helpful to me. I've been able to find a copy at a reasonable price and it ships from Candada. This is still not in my country but it's closer so I feel more comfortable about it.
Thank you Soup, this is such a useful website. I'll have to keep it in mind next time I'm having trouble looking for a book.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:13 am

Oh wow, I'm an idiot. Apparently, the store I thought I had found it is out of stock. So, still no diaries for me.

CaffeinatedBovinae
Caterpillar

Postby CaffeinatedBovinae » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:14 am

Oh wow, I'm an idiot. Apparently, the store I thought I had found it is out of stock. So, still no diaries for me.
Even more stupid, I forgot to log in before posting that.

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”