Miscellaneous Alice > Alice in Wonderland Themed Teas

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
therandomnigel

Alice in Wonderland Themed Teas

Postby therandomnigel » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:14 am

These stories have captivated my imagination and I hope to return the favor by blending perfect loose flavored tea blends. I wasn't sure if there was a very knowledgeable flavor consultant and Alice in Wonderland officianado. Or possibly I'd be able to get some feedback. These are the Characters I'd like to base blends on:
Alice, (I would also like a blend based on the Drink me Bottle), The White Rabbit, The Dodo, The Caterpillar, The Cheshire Cat, The Duchess, The Hatter, The March Hare, The Dormouse, The Queen of Hearts, The King of Hearts, The Hedgehog and Flamingo, The Red Queen, The White Queen, The Garden of Live Flowers, The Rockinghorsefly, The Snapdragonfly, The Breadandbutterfly, The Tweedles, The Sheep, The Lion, The Unicorn, The White Knight, The Wasp. As Far as flavors here's some ideas close to perfection:

Alice: An herbal Honeybush tea with Red and Black Currants, Apple, Pear, Cranberry and hint of Almond/ vanilla. (I feel these flavors are not very bold and softspoken like our heroine)
White Rabbit: A White Tea with Echinacea, Dandelion, Goldenrod, and Marigold. (A white tea obviously but a floral medicinal tea with wild field flowers)
Dodo: An Oolong tea with Pecan, Raisin, Dates, and Peach. (I see the Dodo as old both in character and in obvious that its prehistoric. I feel the ingredients represent that)
Caterpillar: An herbal Guayusa tea with tropical mango, passion fruit, papaya, and Hibiscus. (A blue butterfly makes me think of the South American Blue Morpho Butterfly so i went with very tropical flavors.)
Cheshire Cat: An herbal Red Rooibus tea with Cranberry, fig, vanilla, and cinnamon. (The Cheshire cat directly says "Fig" from there i took possible complimentary flavors.)

These ideas are less complete:
Duchess: A spiced Chai tea (because of the pepper)
Mad Hatter: A darjeeling tea
Dormouse: An herbal Chamomile tea with honeysuckle
Queen of Hearts: A black Earl Grey tea with oils of Begamot orange and lavender along with rose hips and carnation petals
Mock Turtle: A Green tea (based on green mock turtle soup)
Hedgehogs and Flamingoes: Grapefruit and Durian
White Queen, White Knight, and Sheep: White Teas
Rocking Horsefly: Cinnamon, Baltic Amber (Sap and Sawdust)
Snap Dragonfly: Black tea with Brandy infused raisins, plum, and mistletoe leaves (Holly is poisonous)
Unicorn: White Tea with Plum and Pomegranate (Plum from the story, Pomegranate from mythology)
Wasp: Herbal Honeybush with Baltic Amber
Live Flowers: Rose, Violet, Tiger Lily, Daisy (Larkspur is poisonous)

Please leave thoughts and suggestions:) please no mean comments my dream is to own a cafe tea shop inspired by the Sheep's Shop in Through the looking glass. It would have fresh tea to sell and sit down and drink, healing stones and herbal remedies along with a seahorse and hummingbird sanctuary. A lovely garden would provide all the ingredients fresh. i aim to make high quality delicious tea blends. i look forward to hearing <3

therandomnigel

Re: Alice in Wonderland Themed Teas

Postby therandomnigel » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:22 am

I apologize the Gryphon and Mock Turtle arent on the list. Theyre supposed to be. XD i would definately like blends representing them too.

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:04 pm

I like it :)
These seem to be good and well informed ideas
I entirely approve

My only complaint might be that your ideas are too good, and leave me nothing to suggest :p

therandomnigel

Postby therandomnigel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:34 am

Thank you but most are far from perfection cx For the Mock Turtle all i know is that it would be Green tea. Im stumped on Characters like the White Queen and the Sheep. And i dont know a lot of complimentary flavors. I want each blend to have a minimum of 4 ingredients as soon as i start getting money from my job at the Disney store i can start making these and eventually sell them on Etsy <3 As i said any idea or suggestion is welcome I love Alice and i Love tea c: i want it to be perfect for all potential customers

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:57 am

i dont know a lot of complimentary flavors
This is the problem I have
I know a bit about the books, but I don't know anything about tea
Are there tea-blending forums you could talk to?

As regards the Mock Turtle, we meet him by the sea, and he cries all the time, so I'm thinking about tears and salt water - But can you have salty tea? Are there flavours which might suggest saltiness without actually being salty?
And I'm wondering about ozone and seaweed. I know the Japanese use konbu seaweed to make dashi (a kind of stock/broth) - Would it be possible to make a konbu/green tea blend? And would you even want to?

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management (a Victorian guide, contemporary with Alice) has a recipe for mock-turtle soup which includes lemon thyme, sweet marjoram, basil, parsley, lemon and seville orange
https://victorianchristmastide.wordpres ... rtle-soup/
Don't know if you could use any of those flavours?

See? I have no idea what I'm talking about (but I'd like to, because I really like your ideas) (:O

therandomnigel

Postby therandomnigel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:19 am

for whatever reason this practice seems to be foreign to anything other large franchises who blend teas professionally. I do appreciate the thought though. Perhaps maybe not as someone knowledgeable of tea but as a consumer and a person who loves the Alice stories. I know these stories like the back of my hand but its always good to get another persons opinion c: I have no sort of expertise in seaweed tea, the idea did cross my mind and would be considered if it wasn't for the thought of it being horribly salty. i thought of maybe a cuccumber because of their water content but then it doesnt bring much to the table as far as flavor goes cx. it takes a while but with perseverence i eventually get to an end result. the duchess had me stumped for a while until i decided to to write down every spice i could think of. come paycheck im going to have to see how spiced it is: Ginger, Cardamom, Pink Peppercorns, Clove, Nutmeg, Allspice, and Cinnamon. im sure id have more help if this was just a fragrance but not only does it have to smell nice it has to taste well along with representing the character or literary element it claims to be representing cx The dream to sell this across the world for Unbirthday Parties year round. OMG i just had an idea for a English Breakfast blend Representing Humpty Dumpty. (casue... Hes an egg. XDDD)

therandomnigel

Postby therandomnigel » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:22 am

Maybe itll just be a dissapointing blend because he cries so much haha no, The citrus sounds very nice actually thank you :) along with the possible addition of Parsley. That recipe was disgusting though eww cx

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”