Miscellaneous Alice > alice and the doors

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
doublefaced<3queen
Disappearing Cheshire Cat
Location: the underground chess board room, the grey house, MA, USA

alice and the doors

Postby doublefaced<3queen » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:09 am

I was just in a sybolic type play version of Alice, "aLice'S wonDerland" *notice the capital L,S,D, it was a drug awareness play but more horror than public service announcment* and throughout the play we used all different Doors songs to corespond with events and emotions she was going through, Break On THrough (to the other side) for when she travels through the looking glass, Cyrystal Ship at the begining of her trip, People are Strange for when she meets the catipillar, who doubles as her drug dealer, Roadhouse BLues for the Knaves entrance (it doesnt really corespond but the inrto makes for a lovely bit of entrance music for him) the knave doubles as her almost rapest ex-boyfriend (he STEALS her virginity) and the Alabama SOng, aka Whiskey Bar for the Queen of hearts entrance, the queen also doubles as Alice's abusive alcoholic mother, as Alice comes back from her trip by breaking the mirror and crumples into a sobbing heap on the floor we played The End,
has anyone else ever noticed the corespondence?
im an avid Doors and Jim Morrison fan and would love to talk to anyone else with similar interests! AIW:-.

~Dream Like Alice~
White Rabbit

Postby ~Dream Like Alice~ » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:55 pm

thats incredible! im also a huge doors and Alice fan....i would love to have seen this, a combination of the two would be amazing :)...is there a version of this on video?

doublefaced<3queen

Postby doublefaced<3queen » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:15 am

unfortunatly it was a state competition piece so we couldnt film it, but we did win a silver medal, 2 acting awards, and a lighting and sound award! It was such a great experience, and despite not winning gold (because it was our first year competing, and because it was so controversial) the audience really seemed to love it and it was well recieved.

thefamilycat
Mad Hatter

Just a thought

Postby thefamilycat » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:19 pm

You could actually use many song titles re an Alice inspired production.
The WHO for instance who did a song called WHO ARE YOU?

doublefaced<3queen

Postby doublefaced<3queen » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:58 am

since it was more symbolic than literal people are strange fit perfect because "who are you" is too obvious and too upbeat, and anyways im not talking about song "titles" im talking about the whole song, the title doesnt necessarily convey the entire meaning of the song.

thefamilycat
Mad Hatter

The Who

Postby thefamilycat » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:22 pm

No not at all these are the very words the Caterpillar speaks.
Going back to the Doors song I agree the title can be MADE to fit like so many others but the song itself is a poetically camouflaged ode to SEX.
I suppose if I wanted I could make a heap of Family Cat songs fit but their oonly use of a deliberate Alice (via Disney) phrase is the title The Golden Book,their own book of lyrics actually called this as well as one of the songs.
But hey the Stranglers did a very good Alice song which refers to the Disney movie and the book.Fitting that they came from Guildford as well!!!

doublefaced<3queen

Postby doublefaced<3queen » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:08 am

i realize that the catipillar does say who are you, but the whos song by that name was very upbeat, whereas people are strange had a more mellow vibe, who are you would also have been inapropriate because the catipillar didnt speak to her, he recounted the conversation they had earlyer when he gave her the LSD, and in her trip, he became the catipillar, since the charecters were real life people she knew, intensifyed to show her emotion and the way she percieved them

thefamilycat
Mad Hatter

Wrong

Postby thefamilycat » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:40 pm

I suggest you read the book or get one of the many CDs like Alice The Musical,instead of translating Alice via the Jefferson Airplane.
LSD had not been discovered at the time of the books and its well known that the "hookah smoking Caterpillar" was on opium.
I would say the Doors song is totally inappropriate.Read the words and you realise that the song is about having sex with an underage girl.
Break On Through refers to puncturing the hymen ,to actually spell it out though Morrison treats it more poetically it adds up to the same thing.
Not sure what "upbeat" signifies here

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”