Miscellaneous Alice > Edwin A. Abbott's "Flatland"

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
Kirkinson
Humpty Dumpty

Edwin A. Abbott's "Flatland"

Postby Kirkinson » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:20 am

Does anyone know if there's any record of Dodgson commenting on Edwin Abbott's book "Flatland"? It was published some thrity years before Dodgson's death, so he had a good deal of time to catch it, and seeing that it uses mathematical logic to suggest the existence of a higher reality and, by extension, God (since Abbott was a Christian theologian) it seems like something Dodgson could have taken an interest in.

The book, for those of you who don't know it, is one I highly recommend. It takes place in a two-dimensional universe inhabited by geometrical figures in which the hero, A. Square, learns of the existence of a third dimension and tries to preach its gospel. It's not a difficult read -- the mathematics are elementary level and the book is short enough to finish in three hours. Very fun.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:05 am

My mathematics teacher in high school once recommended this book to us. I think I was the only one who actually went to the library to get it... :|
I really liked it, I can recommend it too. Perhaps we Alice in Wonderland lovers are susceptible for all stories about worlds in different realities?

I don't know whether Carroll ever read it however.
Last edited by Lenny on Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tweedledammed
Mad Hatter

Postby tweedledammed » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:40 am

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”