Fan art & fan fiction > J. Michael Rolen Illustrations

Here you can post your own art, stories, movies, and other creative creations that are inspired by the story of Alice in Wonderland.
Treacle
Honorary member

J. Michael Rolen Illustrations

Postby Treacle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:02 am

These are illustrations from my 1977 edition of AAIW.
They are copyrighted, therefore this is the only way anyone will see these pictures. If you see a picture you'd like to do something with (or to), just ask me.
There are a total of 66 paper copies of the book.
I wanted to use the alternate title and pseudonym on the cover of the book to see if they have a bad effect. Apparently so. It was fortunate that the poetry editor picked "Lewis Carroll" from the five choices CLD submitted.

I hope someone in the forum enjoys some of these illustrations. AIW:-D
[4/9/2009. I posted the pictures as links, so those on dial-up weren't overloaded with them, from November 2008 to April 2009.]
Last edited by Treacle on Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TrinityLion
Lewis Carroll

Postby TrinityLion » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:37 am

My my, aren't those illustrations interesting!

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi everyone! I know that the pictures aren't the greatest. I'll take them down when people get tired of them. Just let me know when that is.

1/9/09 I wonder why Amazon.com lists the book when it has little information about it and no copies to sell? Even if someone sells them a copy, I have no idea what they would pay for it or charge for it. I never figured out a consistent price for it, myself. I gave away the first run, and the few I sold from the second run varied in price ($2, $3, $4, $6).

I don't understand DIS|-p

Mad Hatter II
Queen Alice

Duchess

Postby Mad Hatter II » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:12 am

The Duchess kinda looks like Frankenstein in the first illustration and Stan Laurel in the second, no offense! AIW:-)

SakuraInWonderland
Lewis Carroll

Postby SakuraInWonderland » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:21 am

I liked some of your pictures, Treacle.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Thank you for your kind remarks about the JMR illustrations. The fact that 696 people have looked at them so far is more than I ever expected. I notified JMR of the belated appreciation. He knows where to look to see for himself.

Short-run privately published books like the Rolen Alice fit awkwardly, if at all, in the world. That didn't matter to me in 1976.
I just had to have my own edition. (I was quite obsessed with LC that year in college.) But now there isn't a lot that can be done with it, as a result.

696 puts 'publication' at over 8 times the number of the number of paper copies. Do any of you on the Forum have any comments or reactions to the idea that I remove the pictures? I feel that the sharing with my friends on the Forum has been a success.
Last edited by Treacle on Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:55 am

The fact that 696 people have looked at them so far is more than I ever expected.
Where did you get this number from? The number of views on the subforum page?

I don't want to dampen your spirits, but please mind that these aren't unique visits (people can look at the topic more than once) and that there are many occasional visitors to the site who just browse through a number of topics that are currently on top of the topic listings, which will inflate the number of topic views, but which doesn't mean that they were specifically interested in the illustrations.

But of course I'm happy for you that the interest is more than you expected :-)

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for being considerate, Lenny.

I trust the viewer count as a rough indicator of interest. I believe it means I've shared the illustrations with others. The only sure way for me to know is by feedback about the pictures, which is why I've asked for comments.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Lenny,
Would you please remove this topic from the forum? I'm sure the pictures have been shared, and I don't mean to publish them at your expense. Thank you for allowing me to share them with you and the members of the forum.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:59 am

I don't remove topics from the forum. If you wish to no longer share the images, you can edit your post and remove the links. Please don't empty the whole post, so other visitors will still know what this topic was originally about.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:31 am

I have a notion to post a link to the renovated Rolen Alice (2013) in the Jabberwocky section, so that members can download it free.

(I wouldn't have done the book if I hadn't had friends in the Alice forum to share with.) Is that okay with you guys?

Obviously the best the book can be is a moment or two of pleasure to the right person or persons. Or it could be just another illustrated edition in one's collection ;)
Last edited by Treacle on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 pm

As of yesterday I've seen the prototype eBook on both a cell phone and on a tablet. That's as real as an eBook gets. I'll eventually place it at Project Gutenberg's Community (copyrighted books) site so public libraries and anyone else can download a copy for . Commercial publishers have their uses, but at PG, eBooks stay in the Cloud even if they aren't selling, if I understand what I read correctly. What I'm aiming to say here is Thank You, Lenny and everyone at the Forum, for giving me reason to believe that Alice can be a community, and not just a market, an academic society, or a bibliography of sources. Essentially, you are the people this particular book is for.

Somehow it turned out looking early 20th Century. It's not every Alice book that looks 100 years older than it is :-)

(Okay, so it isn't a big deal, but asking a friend of a friend to do some Alice pictures turned out to be surprisingly significant in my lifetime. I had no idea that acting on a suggestion could lead to that.)

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:39 am

Earlier I posted links to just the pictures for several months. Should I do that again, instead of announcing under "buying, selling, and collecting" that a book (containing pictures) is available?

I'd rather share with friends than make them buy the book to get the pictures, if that's all that's wanted, really.

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:56 pm

You could do both. Post pictures here, and make another topic about the availability of the book. You can refer from one topic to the other with a link if you like.

Return to “Fan art & fan fiction”