Fan art & fan fiction > Alice in Wonderland Illustrations

Here you can post your own art, stories, movies, and other creative creations that are inspired by the story of Alice in Wonderland.
AW2015
Disappearing Cheshire Cat

Alice in Wonderland Illustrations

Postby AW2015 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:40 am

Hi everyone. I'm an illustrator working on a series of drawings of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and I thought I'd share them with you. They're loosely based on the style of the Tenniel originals. Only one for now, but more will be forthcoming as this project develops!

Hope you like them!

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 am

I like it. The expression on his face matches the attitude in the book, and, at the risk of being offensive by making comparisons, the drawing combines the styles of Tenniel and Peake a lot, I think.

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:24 am

Nice job, I really like it!
...the drawing combines the styles of Tenniel and Peake a lot, I think.
I was thinking the same thing. :-)

AW2015

Postby AW2015 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:19 am

You guys know the Peake illustrations? I love them!

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:15 am

You guys know the Peake illustrations? I love them!
His Hatter illustration is probably one of my favorites. You're in the right place if you're looking to find people who know a wide range of illustrators of Carroll's works. ;)

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:35 am

Brilliant! I like the (mad) way his feet point one way, his head points the other while his arms face forward. (It reminds me a little of how the ancient Egyptians drew people.) Definitely lends a sense of madness / insanity / internal mental conflict / general silliness

Lenny
Webmaster

Postby Lenny » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:06 am

That's very very good! I'd love to see more.

AW2015

Postby AW2015 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:24 pm

AW2015

Postby AW2015 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:08 am

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:01 am

Okay, I'm convinced. Are you going to run a kickstarter to raise money to publish, or are you going to make us wait until it's finished and published? :D

AW2015

Postby AW2015 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:45 am

Okay, I'm convinced. Are you going to run a kickstarter to raise money to publish, or are you going to make us wait until it's finished and published? :D
Thank you very much, Treacle! I also really appreciate this comment as it is dead-on correct as to my intentions.

My goal is a really beautiful hardcover volume with illustrations on almost every page. A progress blog will eventually go up when the scope of the project is a little more defined (as is my commitment to it).

In the long term I plan to do a kickstarter. This will hopefully be in a month or two when I have the style, characters, etc. down pat, a few chapters fully illustrated, and a proof volume to use as examples.

It will be a relatively small run. I'd rather market my work specifically to people who are true fans of Carroll's books rather than general consumers, as I think people in forums like this will appreciate what I'm trying to do more, and in turn I appreciate them much more for it.

At this stage I'm working on developing a style that is both consistent and distinctive enough to illustrate the whole book, and perhaps TTLG. It sometimes takes several versions to get an illustration I'm really satisfied with, and bear in mind these are all first-drafts. I'm still playing with materials, and the character designs are still too rudimentary and sometimes look too inconsistent from illustration to illustration.

So what I post here are very early stepping stones to a much more ambitious project, one I hope will succeed with this forum's help. I will continue to post picture updates and details as I develop it!

Best,

AP

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Have you considered approaching the Pennyroyal Press with this, as Barry Moser did with his Alice illustrations, back when? It sounds as though you're thinking on the same scale, with patronage, collectors' copies, and a trade press deal with the University of California. (Also, it helped Moser to go to Selwyn H. Goodacre for the text and prefatory intros.)

I ask because enthusiasm on the forum may not by itself translate into enough money.

Ignore me if I'm overly cautious. Kickstarters seem to be the current form of patronage.

Return to “Fan art & fan fiction”