Buying, selling & collectibles > Svankmajer's Alice on VHS?

Promote your or other people's Alice in Wonderland products, show off your collectibles, or ask for help with finding a specific item.
Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:28 pm

(back on topic)

I was just wonderling whether your tape has arrived yet and if the quality's ok?

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:49 pm

...funny you should ask that, because I am currently driven to insanity. So I get the tape, and decide to take it up to Shropshire so I can watch it at my grandparent's house. I put it in their VHS player upstairs, and all of a sudden the machine makes the most horrible grinding, whirring noise as if it's about to explode. In horror I eject the tape. Then I try again later to find that the first 5 minutes are full of static and the image jumps constantly during the rest of the film. Horrified, I return home here and try it in my TV upstairs. Now it's even worse, as the picture isn't even visible. Then when I eject it I discover the bloody tape's buggered up my video player.

I am now at the end of my tether. Forces beyond my control obviously do not want me to possess this film. When I FINALLY get it after all this time I try and play it, only for it to get chewed up in a faulty VCR. :'( AIW:'-( :'( Excuse my French, but f***ing hell. You know what? I'm NOT going to give up. A while back someone suggested a DVD from Holland in region 2...looks like my best bet. You, in the United States of America, do not know you're born! You can just mosey onto Amazon.com, and with a few clicks you've got it. No trouble. Here, I'm having to test my nerves and my very emotional well-being just to own a film that was made in the same bloody continent!

So yeah, not best happy. THIS remains my last hope: http://www.moskwood.nl/store/alice-p-33 ... anguage=en the reason I didn't get it before was because I was apprehensive it would work...but now I really cba to faff around any more.

EDIT: 19.90 euros is about £16, which is quite a lot of money for a DVD, and plus I have to factor in postage. :|

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 pm

Oh no! How awful ~~~sympathy~~~

I think you should reconsider downloading it BUT (I have a cunning plan) get a (geeky) friend from college to do it for you. If you know anyone who prides themselves on their technical know-how then a bit of flattery, a modest bribe or just outright begging might persuade them to burn you a copy

The Queen of Hearts
Honorary member

Postby The Queen of Hearts » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:23 pm

Oh no! That's awful!

aliceaficionado
Lewis Carroll

Postby aliceaficionado » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:12 pm

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGH! And I thought you were at the point of utmost happiness!

Bella44
Lewis Carroll

Postby Bella44 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:18 am

Double ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! If something like that happened to one of my hard-to-come-by movies or books I'd be fuming for weeks!!!! AIW:-(

aliceaficionado
Lewis Carroll

Postby aliceaficionado » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:15 am

Hmmm... I sincerely hope the spine problem on my old Lewis Carroll book from 1937 stays small... :| (Or it goes away entirely)

We'reAllMadHere
Lewis Carroll

Postby We'reAllMadHere » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Hmmm... I sincerely hope the spine problem on my old Lewis Carroll book from 1937 stays small... :| (Or it goes away entirely)
:O It's a curse! The prophecy of Otranto is coming true! The spine and the tape are falling to ruin! :-)

Seriously, this VHS disaster has sent me spiralling into the throes of a Poe-esque melancholy. :|

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:45 am

If a DVD copy IS available on Amazon then I can possibly help you.

First, if you have a newer TV, and dvd player, most can play both PAL & NTSC, just pop the dvd in!

If you have a region 2 dvd player, and the dvd is region 1, there are a few ways to get around this.
Esp. if you have a newer dvd player, you can google dvd player region hacks, and look for your make and model dvd player and see if there is a hack.
If there is, resetting your dvd player to ALL or 0 region is quite simple. It is a matter of just using the set up button on your remote, and entering a code which the hack guide will lead you through.
Totally legal, and no harm to your equipment.

Second solution is a grey area.

Buy the reg. 1 dvd. Put it into your computer's dvd burning drive. Some drives will play all regions, but most will open a box and ask if you want to change the device region to region 1.2.3.etc. It will warn you that you can do this only a set number of times before the drive will lock to the region last set (usually 5 times) (There is software to "fool" your player into changing regions, but I find the free ones touch and go)

Set your dvd drive to region 2 and use a ripping program to put the dvd on your HD. There are many programs that do this. Though no longer supported, one if the best is DVDShrink which is freeware. It not only changes regions, removes most copy protection, but squeezes a dvd9 dvd onto a dvd5 if you don't have a dl burner. It re-authors the dvd, but can only use NERO to burn, so I just folder the files and use DVD Flick to burn the VOB files or make an ISO image that CDBurner XP can burn. all FREE software.

Good luck!

SakuraInWonderland
Lewis Carroll

Postby SakuraInWonderland » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:50 am

To be honest, WereAllMadHere, that movie is a very rare movie from where I come from (Australia), so I can't help you much either.

Return to “Buying, selling & collectibles”