Movies > Tim Burton's AIW movie!!!

About officially released Alice in Wonderland movies, like Disney's cartoon and Tim Burton's movie.
3rdpoliceman

Postby 3rdpoliceman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:15 pm

It has actually been confirmed that when Johnny Depp started breakdancing, the antichrist was born. His name was Frank. Frank Hitler!

jack in wonderlan

Postby jack in wonderlan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 pm

i don't understand how you could not like Tim Burton's movie. I thought it was the best movie adaption ever!!!!! :D
pssst...don't tell anyone jack, but I quite enjoyed it too. (Although I wouldn't go as far as 'best ever' or anything.)

Personally I prefered the Tim Burton number to the 1951 Disney animation, which I strongly dislike because it gets the book totally WRONG! (grrr) It takes out all the wonderful language and wit and turns Alice from a bolshy, intelligent, beliveable person into a simpering milksop (gah!)

But the Burton version completely avoids this (in my opinion) by not being Alice in Wonderland at all - it's just a fantasy action movie loosely based on the books and characters - and I thought it was quite good fun. I especially liked Alice in her suit of armour - I thought she looked wonderful and gratifyingly heroic.

I must confess that where the film distorted the 'truth' of the original books did make me squirm though, and I can understand why die-hard Alice fans would find it totally intolerable.

But I had fun, and when it comes on tv, I'll probably watch it again :)
i haven't posted in like 2 years, but what I meant was that as an Alice adaption it, well, sucked, to be frank. But as a movie by itself it was pretty good. I really want to watch the czech alice though...

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:41 pm

I never imagined that I'd ever say this, but I want to thank Linda Woolverton and her script for the Burton Alice film for clarifying a point about the book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Lewis Carroll toyed with the idea of making Wonderland a real place outside Alice's dream in Alice's Adventures under Ground, by making the Queen of Hearts the Marchioness of Mock Turtles as well, but the final version of the text, AAiW, markedly holds that it's all Alice's dream. Linda Wolverton, by making Wonderland a place that exists independently of Alice (the script even casts doubt that the Alice that the White Rabbit lured back to Wonderland is theAlice of years before) confirms the wisdom of LC's judgement in editing out that indirect suggestion.

Thank you, Linda Wolverton.
(Regarding the movie itself, I personally think of it as "Hatter".)

Treacle
Honorary member

Postby Treacle » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Linda Woolverton carelessly made that point. There is an essay, "Maps and Rabbit-Holes", in a 1915 book called Journeys to Bagdad, that does make that point precisely and nicely. 1915!

There's no telling what's in the literature before Martin Gardner's time, but it sounds like a lot of research to do :|

Return to “Movies”