Miscellaneous Alice > Autism Spectrum Disorder

For all questions and discussions that are related to Alice in Wonderland, but do not fit into one of the above subforums.
new user k

Autism Spectrum Disorder

Postby new user k » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:09 am

The more I read about Charles Dodgson, about his perseverations, and some of his social awkwardnesses, the more I wonder if he was on the spectrum.

I know a bit about ASD, as it runs in my family, and have been reading Gardner and Cohen and Kelly this week, to do a paper for school. It all sounds so oddly familiar.

Anyone out there have any thoughts?

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:46 pm

^ well, IMO, since there is no real evidence, and since there is nothing bout that in his diaries, we can expect everything... but i outterly doubt it very much.

SakuraInWonderland
Lewis Carroll

Postby SakuraInWonderland » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:59 am

Did you know that I suffer from Autism myself?

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:55 pm

^ sorry to hear that :? ... though is not like a terminal ill or something but still a condition. i admire people that have to deal with such conditions and do it like if nothing was happening.
if you may... can i ask you what are your specific charasteristics?... cause from my understandings the autism spectrum vary between individuals. please... if you are the slightest offended by my inquiry please omit the last. is not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings... is just that i'm curious about this specially Aspergers Syndrome.

and about Dodgson... is very unlikely he suffered from it... there is nothing in his letters/diaries. if he had something there is no doubt it would be written somewhere in his entries... like his speech hesitation that is mentioned.

Jess
Honorary member

Postby Jess » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:26 am

I've wondered the same thing about Dodgson...

I'm an Asperger, too. Not too badly - mostly I pass for normal, though I do tend to flounder in social situations, especially if I don't have a friend to stick with. But I'm better at it than I used to be.

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:53 pm

^ i haven't found anything worth as actual fact for it. only people (and doctors as well) connecting bits of his pesonality to create/portrait someone suffering from this condition. the problem with this is that a lot of misladen info about Dodgson's personality traits have been created... myths that are far from been true.

this comes to mind also with the attempt by people to point him out as a pedophile/junky/having two personalities etc etc...

creating a puzzle with pieces that not always match...

but anyway... if something based on fact comes up i will let you know :-)

ammitusen
Queen Alice

Postby ammitusen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:49 pm

was the term "autism" even used back then? i mean ... if Dodgson had such a condition would he have known enough to refer to it in his letters/diaries? would he have called it "autism"?

NeVaR aSk
Lewis Carroll

Postby NeVaR aSk » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:46 pm

^ i thought about that too my friend... but the word "autism" first took its modern sense in 1938... by Hans Asperger. also Leo Kanner use the term more or less at the same period of time.

back then (18-19th century for instance) they just record what the patience shows... symptoms etc. they don't use the word "autism"

but in his diary (at least the ones i've read) there is no mentioned of some kind of symptoms related to autism.

yes... people talk about his abnormalities of social interactions and communication. but thats is false... all that info is mostly based on his "shyness" and " stammering". in fact, he was not as shy as people think (there are some good evidence of it in the diaries)... also the stammering was just a hessitation over words that began with a hard consonant or contained a hard consonant or when reading out loud... far less so in ordinary speech.

ammitusen
Queen Alice

Postby ammitusen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:52 am

thanks for the info and your insight.

Lewis Carrie
White Knight

Autism Spectrum Disorder

Postby Lewis Carrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:06 pm

^ well, IMO, since there is no real evidence, and since there is nothing bout that in his diaries, we can expect everything... but i outterly doubt it very much.
The terms "autism" and "Asperger's Syndrome" were not used until the twentieth century, but that does not mean that people that lived and died before the terms were invented did not have it. It is thought that Mozart, Hans Christian Anderson, and even Van Gogh may have had Aspergers Syndrome. Carroll may have had it as well. By the way, why do you "doubt it very much" that he had it?

Beautiful Soup
Honorary member

Postby Beautiful Soup » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:49 pm

The terms "autism" and "Asperger's Syndrome" were not used until the twentieth century, but that does not mean that people that lived and died before the terms were invented did not have it. It is thought that Mozart, Hans Christian Anderson, and even Van Gogh may have had Aspergers Syndrome. Carroll may have had it as well. By the way, why do you "doubt it very much" that he had it?
Nevar Ask hasn't posted for a year and a half so may not answer your query.
However, if you read his other posts in this thread, you will see that he has already addressed the points you raised

Return to “Miscellaneous Alice”